Rockbinder- Drama Scout

ghetto

Making some slow progress. I swapped out the cam for a little bit more aggressive one. I ordered a different torque converter to match the cam and help with pushing through the brakes in low range. The torque converter didn't fit. I went to my buddy who has a transmission shop and he had the correct torque converter in stock with a 2300 stall so hopefully that works. I spent a whole day working on putting the wrong one in and then searching to find out why it was the wrong one. Right now I need the torque converter spacer to match up and older style transmission to a gen 3 ls. My garage is trashed and full with the motor pulled on the Cherry picker. Amazon says it should come in tomorrow.

In the meantime I finished the gussets for the rear axle and welded it up and got a coat of steel-it paint on it. I really like that paint. It goes on thick and looks good. I also closed up the frame where the sway bar will go and installed it. It looks like I should clear ok. 20190924_171042.jpg20190926_172645.jpg20190928_115934.jpg20190928_142318.jpg20190928_164213.jpg

ghetto

Welded up a bunch of the odds and ends. I'm to the point where I'm starting to assemble. Painted most of the chassis. I built a tailhousing mount for the atlas. Then I started laying out the wiring. Forgot to take pictures of anything cool though.20191012_224357.jpg20191012_224338.jpg20191012_224406.jpg

J Kimmel

You have a build thread for it anywhere, Jeremy? I'd love to see/hear more, those Rock Lizard chassis look just right.

I also put a bunch on instagram

pretty happy with how it came out

Jeremy.l.kimmel

ghetto

I welded up most everything. I will be happy to not have to take that top off a hundred more times. Starred plumbing and wiring. I have a question you guys. I did a bunch of work to run the top and doors. The scout doors are like 4 inches thick. If I run them I cant do a door bar for strength. I could make it removable, but I don't think I want to. I really liked the idea of running the doors because I could roll up the windows. This would be nice for bad weather and mostly for trailering it. Anybody have any good luck with removalable windows with like velcro. At this point I'm leaning towards making my own doors or taking the skins off these doors and making a tube frame. 20191027_175740.jpg20191027_215656.jpg20191027_215712.jpg

ghetto

I thought about that. I don't really want a whole soft top. I really just want a window. I could get a car cover to transport it. Then I could throw it on if it did rain.
Really I wanted something if I went snow wheeling that I could keep it warm inside. There may not be a good option. Just thinking out loud.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I thought about that. I don't really want a whole soft top. I really just want a window. I could get a car cover to transport it. Then I could throw it on if it did rain.
Really I wanted something if I went snow wheeling that I could keep it warm inside. There may not be a good option. Just thinking out loud.
For a rig like this, I really think you should just do heated seats and be done as far as snow wheeling goes... As soon as you have windows, you have to have a way to defrost them etc... and that just compounds the work.

ghetto

I'm really digging the hard top, as long as it's a quick release.
At this point it will attach like it does from the factory, with a few bolts. Not exactly quick release, but an impact would zip it off in a couple minutes. I probably will run an aluminum skin on top if I am wheeling. The top is for cruising around or sight seeing trips.

ghetto

This is always an exciting and frustrating part of the build. In some ways I'm so close but the details kill you. I live in the sticks so when I need a little part I have to order it. Thank goodness for the internet. I wish I had a speed shop near by for plumbing and electrical parts. Anyway here are some pics20191104_182550.jpg20191104_182559.jpg20191103_202354.jpg20191029_201556.jpg

J Kimmel

I think final welding and assembly took almost 2 months on mine for that exact reason...need a fitting ? two days from Amazon Need specific bolts? yep probably Amazon none of the local spots have enough of anything