Drill Bits

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I'm having a hard time with bits and looking for some suggestions. I have tried several brands, types of bits (cobolt, HSS, ect) and just can't find a bit that I don't have to sharpen after every use or they break.

Please post up some real world experiences that you may have had with a good quality bit set.

Thanks,

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Also interested. I remember Carl telling me you wanted a certain type of drill but for drilling in holes that were plasma cut. The kerf of the plasma cut is a hardened edge.

RockChucker

I can't remember what brand mine are, but they have been really good. I got them at NPS of all places. I'll look tonight when I get home, but they are just HSS but they are made in the USA.
Also interested. I remember Carl telling me you wanted a certain type of drill but for drilling in holes that were plasma cut. The kerf of the plasma cut is a hardened edge.
I always cut the smallest holes possible for a plasma cut hole. Basically a pierce to mark the location. The best thing to use for a plasma cut hole is an annular cutter in my opinion. It cuts around the Nitrided steel of the cut and is in the softer steel of the part. But annular cutters are pricey.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
My master set of fraction, letter and number is Norseman and I have had it for nearly 20 years. It is a great set and has served me well. I have a set I bought from Lawson about 8 years ago as well and it too is a nice quality drill bit. At work we replace drill bits with Fastenal's house brand and they are actually a very nice quality bit as well.

Drill bits are not something I go cheap on as a cheap set will end up costing you more money in the long run so I buy quality and cry once.

Mike

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Thanks Mike, the Norseman is actually one that I have been looking at. I'll check out the other two brands you have listed also.

4x4_Welder

I've had good results with Century cobalt bits for a good durability/ cost ratio.
How you use it makes a big difference too, though. If you're in hardened steel, once you have some swarf coming off the hole don't stop. If you stop, it'll cool back down and be even harder. Make sure you're matching the rpm to the hole size, and just give good steady pressure on it.