Driving the Pacific Coast Highway, Who's Done It?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
We went in '16 with a trailer and I did it as a teen in a pop up. It is difficult if you move every day but I think it's the ideal manner to appreciate the neat forests they have. It's pretty cool to sit by the fire with those monster trees all around. Something you wouldn't get staying at a hotel. I guess there are little cabins at Jedediah Smith CG but I seem to remember those being pretty spendy too.

I've done the Oregon coast enough that I'd be more content to stay in a smaller area and don't feel like I need to drive all the way up the coast like I've done previously.

J-mobzz

E8FA903E-6579-4409-9681-D94A20E93789.jpeg

Van life on the PNW coast is easy breezy. Explore anywhere you want and sleep nearly anywhere you want. Showers are the pain point. Not a planet fitness close and truck stops aren’t much a thing along the coast. Most rv or camp grounds with showers have been cool about letting me use them without staying. Most didn’t even charge me. I’ve used the couch surfer app a few times along the coast too for a shower. Lots of really cool people out that way.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I am posting from downtown Portland.

Subaru flew me (and a co-worker) up here for a special 3-day training event on a new model. I've never been to Portland before now. I don't want to be rude, because I'm sure Portland was once a great place... but now it is a total dump. Tent living, trash strewn about, some boarded up buildings I presume are leftovers from the riots, graffiti everywhere. At least here in the downtown area, it's really sad.

I wish I could go out to the coast.

Tonkaman

Subaru flew me (and a co-worker) up here for a special 3-day training event on a new model. I've never been to Portland before now. I don't want to be rude, because I'm sure Portland was once a great place... but now it is a total dump. Tent living, trash strewn about, some boarded up buildings I presume are leftovers from the riots, graffiti everywhere. At least here in the downtown area, it's really sad.

It looked like that WAY before the riots

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

It's been going downhill for many years (decades?). You don't have to travel far from Portland to experience a massive change in the quality of experience. Tillamook is 70 miles away and it's one of my favorite places in Oregon. You would really like the air museum there. Multnomah Falls is 30-35 miles away. If you can get away, I would recommend either of those.

Last time I was in downtown Portland was 2017 or 2018. We HAD to get in line at Voodoo donuts for their famous donuts. There were homeless/addicts everywhere. It's gotten much worse since then.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

I used to love Portland, it was such a beautiful city that was so walkable. I once spent seven days there where my only purpose was to wander around finding good places to eat and/or drink wine. It was fantastic.
But it's been ~15 years since the last time I was there and everything I hear is that its just a dystopic nightmare now. Something like 70% of the downtown restaurants and bars have closed since the rioting started two years ago? Its so sad.