Dual Sport bikes

gripguru

Nate Davidson
I am seriously considering a bike for commuting. The duramax gets 15mpg driving around town and I cannot break even on mileage reimbursement for work.
I am a beginner, so have almost no knowledge of the bikes. I can see the little differences, but cannot determine based on specs... what should I look at the most seriously.

I like the Yamaha best, fuel injection would be reliable, but it is a brand new model year and I am always hesitant to purchase something that is brand new. I addressed this with the salesman and he had a great counter, "Yamaha does 7 years testing of prototypes before releasing to the public". Was I sold or does that seem true?

Yamaha WR250R $5899.00
Link to 250 specs
08WR250R_6a_8f31b108.jpg

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Out of all the 4 stroke bikes I've owned in the past 10 years I have never had carb trouble. EFI is cool but not needed for a dual sport, IMO. Matter of fact, I'd dare say it complicates a bike that shouldn't be complicated to start with. My last ride took me from 4500 ft to almost 13,000 ft and I didn't have any real problems. There was a lack of power up high and the bike was a tad harder to start, but not an issue.

Which Yamaha are you looking at? If you've never been on a bike before, I'd start out with a smaller, used bike. That also depends on what type of riding you'll be doing. Freeway riding isn't fun on a smaller bike. If you're stuck on Yamaha I'd check out the XT 225. They're pretty good beginner bikes, get amazing mileage, easy to ride, etc.

gripguru

Nate Davidson
If you're stuck on Yamaha I'd check out the XT 225. They're pretty good beginner bikes, get amazing mileage, easy to ride, etc.

I have looked at that one and it was no comparison to that WR. Price was great though.

I have ridden a harley, a 600 yamaha from the 80s and a super bike - YZF 1000, but not daily and never for any considerable distance. So I consider myself really new.

Greg

Admin
Now the two bikes that I have seen discussed on here:

Suzuki DRZ400S $5599.00
Link to 400 Specs
NV54125_1.jpg

KLR650 $5349.00
Link to KLR
NV54290_14.jpg

You can't go wrong with a DRZ, they are the perfect size, a blast around town and amazing in the dirt. I didn't like mine at highway speeds, so I got a bigger DR650. I miss my DRZ.

KLR's are a do-anything bike... They will go in the dirt(long as it doesn't get too technical), on the freeway, etc. This also means that they don't excell at any one task. IMO they are more of a touring bike than an around town commuter. The recent redesign made them look better and they fixed some of the old issues.

The Honda XR650L and 650R are both tall, heavy bikes. I have ridden a couple of each and they were rough to handle... And I'm 6'4", over 200 lbs. I loved the gobs of torque, but if the riding got too difficult I struggled.

I don't know much about the Honda CRF230, but I bet its a very fun easy to ride bike. Again, being smaller its not much for highway-freeway riding.

My current bike is a '05 Suzuki DR650 and I love it. Its heavy, but not tall. The seat is actually lower than my DRZ was. It will run down the freeway at 85+ comfortably and works pretty well offroad. The stock suspension is very soft so if you plan to run hard, the springs need to be replaced. For me the DR is the perfect bike. As for you, ride everything you can and decide how you will be riding.

Maddeh

I ride dirt bikes a lot, but have never owned a dual sport. I don't like either the CRF230L or the XR650L. The 230 will be incredibly weak, and the 650 is incredibly heavy. The heavy factor also applies to the KLR, and DRZ (though the DRZ is the best of the bunch for power to weight ratio imo). The KLX250S will also be weak in the power dept.

Of all those bikes I like that WR250R the best. FI is a good thing. Although carbs on bikes have proven to be very reliable, when you run into trouble it is generally a pretty painstaking process to properly fix it. I've ridden the dirt version (granted the R is really a totally new bike), and it is a rockin' machine. I am sure there will be mods you can make to the R that can spice it up decently when you are ready for more power. Besides that, its a great looking bike.

I don't know what your budget is or what your street / trail riding time will be, but if you can afford it and you like riding off road, I would consider the KTM 530 EXCR. It is essentially a near race-ready off road machine that is street legal. A lot more money than what you're looking at here though.

Greg

Admin
KTM's are for people who like working on their bikes first, riding second. :p Really, they are amazing bikes but their reliability and maint. schedule scare me. I had a KTM years ago, it wasn't the most reliable and the KTM dealer was no help with the problem. IMO a new rider is better off with a Japanese bike.

I don't know much about the WR250 either, but it sounds like a good choice. Keep in mind that most of these bikes will wear out a knobbie tire in about 2000 miles.

Greg

Admin
And the last one that I hav reviewed -
Kawasaki KLX250S $4799.00

Link to KLX specs
83ffa17a-71ff-4e9b-9359-809300d8934b.jpg

That KLX250 probably wouldn't be a bad choice. I understood the KLX450's were just rebadged DRZ's, but I'm not sure if its the same for the 250's. Does Kawasaki make the KLR250 anymore? That would be a good street-friendly option.

What type of riding do you plan on doing, I know you say commuter stuff, but what percentage? 50/50, 80/20 street/dirt, etc? That would be the biggest factor to me. Most of those plated-dirt bikes aren't too comfy after 20-30 min of street riding. Narrow seats can turn a fun motorcycle into a torture device. I replaced my DR650 seat with a Corbin and couldn't be happeir.

gripguru

Nate Davidson
That KLX250 probably wouldn't be a bad choice. I understood the KLX450's were just rebadged DRZ's, but I'm not sure if its the same for the 250's. Does Kawasaki make the KLR250 anymore? That would be a good street-friendly option.

What type of riding do you plan on doing, I know you say commuter stuff, but what percentage? 50/50, 80/20 street/dirt, etc? That would be the biggest factor to me. Most of those plated-dirt bikes aren't too comfy after 20-30 min of street riding. Narrow seats can turn a fun motorcycle into a torture device. I replaced my DR650 seat with a Corbin and couldn't be happeir.

I plan 10-30mi/day and trail/exploring 1 time a month. I know that I will take it to the rocks everytime I take the jeep out there just to get the hang of it and additionally to explore new stuff. I have some moto-buddies, but they never want to make it out the same time that I go with the jeep. I know I left a lot of details out when I made the post, but wanted to be able to eliminate some stuff based simply on reputation. I realize the points on the Honda bikes and will have to look closer at that. Awkwardness will likely eliminate a bike for me. The WR was really nimble and had incredible responsiveness. I did not try any terrain, but it was a good feel there too. That is the only bike that I have ridden while shopping so far.

Maddeh

I don't know what the KLX450 was in years past, but it is not a dual sport bike and certainly has no relation to Suzuki. The KLX450 is Kawi's off road race bike, essentially a KX450 with a toned down engine, e-start, headlight/taillight, and not as good suspension.

I believe the KLX250 is the "new" KLR250.

And my KTM has been no more maintenance than the Yamaha I had before it. =P

NE_Utah

This is what I ride in the hills and around town. I also have a 2008 cruiser that is for the long road trips.

dark_magnesium_metallic.gif

It has all the power I need and not had on problem with it. I paid 9000 for it. It was a demo bike

Greg

Admin
I don't know what the KLX450 was in years past, but it is not a dual sport bike and certainly has no relation to Suzuki. The KLX450 is Kawi's off road race bike, essentially a KX450 with a toned down engine, e-start, headlight/taillight, and not as good suspension.

I believe the KLX250 is the "new" KLR250.

And my KTM has been no more maintenance than the Yamaha I had before it. =P

Looks like I was thinking of the KLX400... not sure how comparable it is to the KLX450, but I thought they were similar.

Kawasaki KLX400 When the other brands here noticed a gap in their lineups, they fired up the R&D machine and developed a bike to fill the gap. Kawasaki and Suzuki recently entered into a sort of partnership to flesh out these gaps in their lineups without tiring out their R&D departments or draining the budget. They agreed to share certain models and, voila, a green DR-Z400 rebadged as a KLX400. Of course, Suzuki has the DR-Z400 in kickstart and electric-start flavors, while the KLX comes only with the E-button.

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/offroad/141_0305_kawasaki_klx400/index.html

I like KTM's, they are one of the most badass bikes to come out of the factory. I'd love to have a KTM Adventure... but my experience with KTM's wasn't good, I've decided I'm better of with a Suzuki. I had 2 friends that had 525 EXC's and they were killer bikes, but one of the bikes had an expensive cam bearing failure within a year of the new purchase. Thats enough to keep me away from KTM's.

Greg

Admin
I plan 10-30mi/day and trail/exploring 1 time a month. I know that I will take it to the rocks everytime I take the jeep out there just to get the hang of it and additionally to explore new stuff. I have some moto-buddies, but they never want to make it out the same time that I go with the jeep. I know I left a lot of details out when I made the post, but wanted to be able to eliminate some stuff based simply on reputation. I realize the points on the Honda bikes and will have to look closer at that. Awkwardness will likely eliminate a bike for me. The WR was really nimble and had incredible responsiveness. I did not try any terrain, but it was a good feel there too. That is the only bike that I have ridden while shopping so far.

30 miles on a small bike wouldn't be too bad on the street, any more and you may be wishing for a bigger bike and a more comfortable seat. You really need to get some seat time on a DRZ. Yes, it's bigger than the WR but it's a bike you can really grow with. I think the WR might not be enough bike for you within a year.

Dominic

My Dad used to run a dual sport magazine called "Dual Sport News" of all the bikes that have graced our garage my all time favorite was a DR650 we tricked out. The KLR650 although a popular bike with endless aftermarket options lacked the dirt manners I wanted however my style of riding is a little more aggressive than most. I just sold my DRZ400SM I loved the bike for around town riding however if you are doing any highway miles I suggest you go bigger, the bike winds out around 80 and it's not a great high speed machine. I would not consider anything smaller than a 400cc if you are planning alot of highway miles.

Dominic

Oh I have had a CRF250X as well as the XT225 THe 225 is a mountain goat and a fun bike off road but I wouldn't consider it a solid street machine. THe 250x was a riot off road and with a baja designs kit could be a decent on road bike. For my money if I were going to get back into it I would build a KLR650 or a DR650, you can do alot of things with those two bikes and they have a tremendous following.

Coco

Look into the KTM EXC line, or the XC line. KTM makes some very nice bikes, my dad has had both a EXC 450 and now the '08 XCF W (Xross Country (F) 4 stroke, Wide ratio) They dont come with lights or anything to make them street legal, but they come (I believe) pre-wired for lights and such.
www.ktm.com

I have owned a '02 Kawasaki KDX 200 and I loved it! I sold it to buy a samurai when I should have just kept it. But anyway it was a very good bike, and I loved the power it had for being just a 200cc. I didnt register that one for street, but if I still had it, I would have. The only downfalls to this bike is that it was a 2 stroke. The 2 stroke would mean you would need to mix your gas, and couldnt just pull up to a gas station and fill it, meaning you would need to remember to fill it up before leaving. The other thing I didnt like about it, is the headlight itself. It has kind of a weird look to it to me, if I also still had it, I would have found a way to put a different headlight on it. I believe that they dont make the KDX models anymore, but they came in either 200 or 220cc I believe

Also the yamaha WR, honda CRF X, etc. are all good bikes. I am currently saving up for a KTM (hopefully) personally I need something that is better on gas, and will just run 2 different sets of wheels and tires. 1 set onroad (DOT approved) and the other offroad

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I am seriously considering a bike for commuting.]

So did you end up with a bike?

Greg's trip report got me seriously thinking about a dual sport again. With winter coming, bike prices should be coming down. Tempting...