duck season questions

airmanwilliams

ok guys this will be my first year duck hunting and wondered what all was needed? never really been on a hunt but one elk hunt in oregon YEARS ago. Please help me out with any info you can provide.

rholbrook

You need a buddy with an airboat, a dog and a lot of decoys. My BIL has one of the nicest boats in the marsh with an LT1, 8 bladed adjustable prop....... I can go on and on. Its the only way to Duck Hunt.

airmanwilliams

ok so my friend that wants to take me out and has kind of adopted me and he wants to go to farmington bay. he apparently wades out and also uses a kayak.

So my list so far that I need to get once my samurai is sold is:

gun(what size do I look for though?)
waders
game cleaning kit
vest

What kind of tags/licenses do I need? I have a blue card I got last summer so I can hunt just never done it here.

ID Bronco

12 guage I would get a semi auto, fast shooting, less recoil and that helpls alot when shooting big 3.5" shells for geese.

For cold weather hunting I would get warm neoprene waders at least 1000 grams thinsulate and maybe pick up some breathable ones for warm weather.

you will need to have everything in camo, they are very perceptive and you need to be hidden. Remember things like coolers, bags, etc need to be covered and camoed also. I have seen lots of guys set up all camo but have a red cooler sitting close by.

YOu will need a federal duck stamp in addition to a hunting licence. Only use steel shot or tungsten if you want to pay for it.

It is a blast and you can really get addicted. Lots of shooting if you are in a good spot!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
12 guage I would get a semi auto, fast shooting, less recoil and that helpls alot when shooting big 3.5" shells for geese.

For cold weather hunting I would get warm neoprene waders at least 1000 grams thinsulate and maybe pick up some breathable ones for warm weather.

you will need to have everything in camo, they are very perceptive and you need to be hidden. Remember things like coolers, bags, etc need to be covered and camoed also. I have seen lots of guys set up all camo but have a red cooler sitting close by.

YOu will need a federal duck stamp in addition to a hunting licence. Only use steel shot or tungsten if you want to pay for it.

It is a blast and you can really get addicted. Lots of shooting if you are in a good spot!

This....There have been some decent shotguns available on KSL.com, but I'd imagine they are becoming "in season" and the prices will adjust for that?

(what's a "game cleaning kit"?---doesn't a Buck knife work fine?---Maybe a Gerber?)

airmanwilliams

a game cleaning kit is the saw and a bunch of other stuff. just a pocket knife im sure is fine for duck but if I decide to go do other hunting at some point I want a nice all around cleaning kit(doesnt cost much from what I remember)

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
One main thing in Utah is, get use to people walking threw your setup at the moment that the shooting hours start. Happens every year, also get use to someone setting up 50 yds down from you. The best advice would be find someone with a field thats private, get permission to hunt on it and have fun, clean up your shells and keep the landowner happy, so you can return every year after.
12 Gauge is the best but a 20 will also work, auto or pump, either work, lots of decoys that look real, G+H are nice ones, good waders and a warm coat for when it gets cold and a light weight one or long sleeve shirt work for the warmer months. Lots of bug spray.

airmanwilliams

What are you going to do with those ducks after you shoot em? Hunting is fun and all but with ducks do you plan on eating them? Preparation is key there.

I plan to try and smoke some, breast some out and wrap the breast around a cream cheese filled jalepeno and bacon around the breast and barbequing that, maybe trying out a turdunkin also.

ID Bronco

That duck recepie sounds good to me but jerky is the only way I have been able to stomach it. I give most of mine to the Mexicans in the area. They seem to enjoy them.

rholbrook

I have all the camo gear if you want to borrow. If you don't know if you will like it, dont spend the money on the gear. The offer stands to borrow my wadders, and jacket anyway. I shoot a Browning Gold 12 Gauge, I also like the Benelli, my BIL shoots that one.

Ducks, let your buddy take'em home. I don't care how you prepare them, they still taste like mud. You can hid it in sausage if you mix it with elk, then its not too bad.