Dunkin's 1967 GTO

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Ok so not 4wd but I made a reference to it in another thread and Greg went through the trouble to teach me how to post photos so.....

When I was a boy I looooved 60's era muscle, and everyone knows the king of 60's muscle was the GTO. I was fascinated with cars long before I was old enough to drive and by the time I was 14 I had saved enough $$$ to be making a legitimate search for my first car. I took swings at a mustang and a challenger but both were running driving cars and out of my price range. Along my walk to and from school I had seen a car on occasion, when the garage door was open, a hopeless project half disassembled and covered in boxes, but a GTO. One day i finally got up the nerve, without any permission from my parents, I walked up and rang the bell. The owner answered and I swung away negotiating a price of $1200 for one genuine 1967 Pontiac GTO, some assembly required.

I am a child of divorce, living with my single mother and sister in a single wide trailer without any place to store a car let along work on one and my Father lived 450 miles away. I was fortunate to go to an amazing public school with a 7 bay auto shop and one Mr. Thibaut, shop teacher of the century. As a freshman I had been one of the most enthusiastic shop students and Mr Thibaut allowed me to bring my amazing pile of poo to the school and my sophomore year it began.

The car was all there but from the firewall forward it was completely stripped, I mean just the frame rails sticking out and nothing else, 3 ten pound coffee cans of nuts and bolts, and a giant puzzle. It was in the high school auto shop all of my sophomore and junior years and it was all i could do to get it back into one piece. Over the summer before my senior year we moved back to CO, like the Beverly hillbillies my mom hauled that damn car all the way on a tow dolly behind a u-haul, thanks mom! Over that summer my dad and i rebuilt the engine and got it back on the road.

Over the next 22 years it went from daily driver, to part time driver, to sitting on the side of the house. I can't remember why but I got a bug in my ass to restore the car about 3 1/2 years ago, started with a bang. Got it all stripped down and did a great job of restoring the chassis, motor, and trans, had a hell of a nice rolling chassis and it was ready for paint. Unfortunately I got involved with a real shitbag body and paint guy who made a lot of promises and never delivered. Early on in the process I moved away from Junction and was not able to be in his face, eventually I just went and picked my car up before hunting for a new paint shop. About three months ago I found the right guy for the job and a lot of progress has been made, looks like I will have it back by the end of Jan.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thanks for sharing the story and the pics, Dunkin. That's really fun to hear about. Are you really going to auction it off after it's all back together? IMO that car is a keeper.... keep it in the family!

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Thanks for sharing the story and the pics, Dunkin. That's really fun to hear about. Are you really going to auction it off after it's all back together? IMO that car is a keeper.... keep it in the family!

Yep, gonna let it go for a few reasons;

First it will be too valuable for somebody my pay grade to drive, a car close to mine sold at auction last week for $130K

Second I want something that looks like a 67 GTO but performs like a modern car, performance brakes and suspension have come a long way in the last 50 years. The value in this car is keeping it all original, it will be as close as possible to the day it rolled off the assembly line. I would be better off with a Lemans/GTO clone, something that I can modernize, customize, RUSTIFY!

Last is my family could use the money, it's a cool car with a cool story but I will build other cool cars with my boys and they will be experiences that I share with them not a story I pass down to them.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Yep, gonna let it go for a few reasons;

First it will be too valuable for somebody my pay grade to drive, a car close to mine sold at auction last week for $130K

Second I want something that looks like a 67 GTO but performs like a modern car, performance brakes and suspension have come a long way in the last 50 years. The value in this car is keeping it all original, it will be as close as possible to the day it rolled off the assembly line. I would be better off with a Lemans/GTO clone, something that I can modernize, customize, RUSTIFY!

Last is my family could use the money, it's a cool car with a cool story but I will build other cool cars with my boys and they will be experiences that I share with them not a story I pass down to them.

Understandable, I hope you can get close to $130k if not more! I love the idea of a old muscle car with modern upgrades, classic looks and modern performance is a great combo!

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Understandable, I hope you can get close to $130k if not more! I love the idea of a old muscle car with modern upgrades, classic looks and modern performance is a great combo!

Honestly I would be very happy with far less than that. The auction process is actually very expensive, you pay to ship it to the event, pay a big fee to get your car into a prime slot, and a 10% commission to the auction house. I bet the seller of that high dollar car paid $30-40K in fees/commission, plus that car was a convertible with A/C (+$25K over my car).

That puts my car more in the $70-75K range unless i hit the right buyer looking for my exact car with a sentimental attachment

4554x4

always modifing something
Just like you I was bit by the muscle car bug. I started with a 67 GTO grabbing second gear rubber right beside me as I walked down the sidewalk. Scared the shit out of me! I knew when I got a drivers licence I would own a muscle car and do that myself! I started with a 67 442. eventually with a 455, muncie 4 speed and 3.90 posi. That was a fun High School car.
I have owned my grandpa 72 455 Cutlass since 82. its quite a mess, but about to change!