Easy camping meal ideas

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've been buying the pre made stuffed peppers from the meat counter at Smiths. Cut them in half, wrap in foil and toss in the fire for like 30 minutes. It might take 30 minutes, but it's 30 minutes I'm just sitting there enjoying the fire anyway.

Sometimes for breakfast, you just have to go hard.
10930526_10152787207203671_7540277465987650534_n.jpg

DAA

I've never actually cleaned my pie irons. About all the clean up my much, much used pie irons have ever got was wiped off with a paper towel. A lot of the time, not even that. If they get crud on the outside I just let that burn off. For that matter, if they get crud on the inside, I just let that burn off too. They are super seasoned though, not much sticks to them. Deep black and grease oozing out from between ever iron molecule. They get hot enough in use to kill any little beasties that might try to take up residence.

- DAA

DAA

Steve- We have 3 square irons but need to pick up a few other choices and a bag for them soon.

Don't get the Rome bag. I did. Lasted one trip before the zipper was useless. It was super cheap and crappy anyway, I felt good throwing it away.

Go to Kirkhams. They sell a canvas tent stake bag that must be for circus tent stakes - it's big. About as long as the pie irons are. Perfect size to fit two Rome double sized pie irons and has been getting neglected and abused for a couple years now without showing much wear.

- DAA

I guess I'm in the minority - tin foil dinners seem pretty easy to me. I love them anytime when we will for sure have a fire and I won't need to eat the minute we strike camp.

Where is the best place to get pie irons? I'd like to get a few of these for car camping.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Which is definitely cheap. But I discovered that if it gets wet, the denim stays wet and your iron rusts. Canvas with a DWR finish would be better.

ID Bronco

I've never actually cleaned my pie irons. About all the clean up my much, much used pie irons have ever got was wiped off with a paper towel. A lot of the time, not even that. If they get crud on the outside I just let that burn off. For that matter, if they get crud on the inside, I just let that burn off too. They are super seasoned though, not much sticks to them. Deep black and grease oozing out from between ever iron molecule. They get hot enough in use to kill any little beasties that might try to take up residence.

- DAA

I know when they get seasoned over the years they will be great, I guess I better start cooking bacon in them more often!

sixstringsteve

^ this. seasoning is the key. You can throw them on the bbq with some crisco to get started, but it takes a good 20+ times cooking with them before they're slicker than snot.

Campfire Mac n cheese. Grilled cheese in pie iron and bacon wrapped cheese dogs are our dinner favorites. If it's late and we're starving we just roast 4cheese Spivey Italian brats over the fire.

Breakfast varies but usually involves bacon and hash browns somewhere

Last edited:

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I've done frozen burritos over the exhaust manifold. I'm too scared to put a sealed can of anything under there though.

I used to regularly cook a can of chicken noodle soup on the engine of my work truck, not on the exhaust manifold but nestled down in a pocket on top of the motor. Leave it it for about a half hour driving between jobs and it would be cooked perfectly. I accidentally forgot one can there for a day and a half, so yes it sat there overnight ha. Ate it when I finally remembered it and it was still great. I should get back to doing it and save some lunch money

J-mobzz

We bought a pie iron for brats/hot dogs and I'm telling you, that is THE best way to cook brats. I'm hoping my trip to Colorado next month will still allow fires because I can't use those pie irons enough.
That sear you get from a well seasoned Rome double pie iron is amazing. Sometimes I’ll just trun on my gas grill and cook the brats in the pie irons stuffed inside the grill.
Still the crowd favorite is the Torino’s calzone.