Easy Out, or nut and weld?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Weld a nut. The heat will help break it free, plus you won't have to mess with a broken easy out. 😁
I'm leaning that way, but they're both below the surface a ways. I'm worried about the weld chonking off some of that cast around the bolt. I do have a nice layer of anti-weld-stick (grease) on there, though.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Easy outs are a patient mans game. You really have to take the time to drill exact center, so you can get you hole big enough without drilling into your threads. Once you have a good centered hole, the bolt will come out nice and easy. Drill your hole off-center or too small and you have issues.
I don't have them, but I have seen reverse drill bits take the bolt out while drilling the pilot hole.

Center punch, drill through the entire bolt with reverse drill bit… start working your way up in drill size. Most of the time a bigger bit will grab and spin it out.
HF has a cheap reverse drill set that actually work quite well (while they’re sharp). Buy a couple sets while you’re there and you should be good to go.
If you get too big of hole and it hasn’t come out yet, then use a straight splined bolt remover, or if you have to a tapered easy out.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Id hit it with a couple tacks now then lay a nut on it and weld away. Done a bunch of ls exhaust bolts that way
Do this to build up the weld before putting the nut on there. ^^

Do you have a stick welder? You can reach in deeper with one o'those instead of a MIG....

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Make a tab out of some 1/8" with a hole to weld on. That way it's less deep than a nut and easier to get the nut. Also, shouldn't take too much to spin those out.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Make a tab out of some 1/8" with a hole to weld on. That way it's less deep than a nut and easier to get the nut. Also, shouldn't take too much to spin those out.
I use a countersink bit on a nut before welding it on... taper it out nice and big for this same reason. Lots of room to get in there and weld, but still with the benefit of being able to put a wrench on it.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Broke the easy out flush.
such-wow-big-surprise.jpg