EcoBoost mpg

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
They chew up spark plugs, I think the interval on replacement is something like 35k. If you don't replace them like our fleet doesn't they run like crap.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
TRD nailed it. Boosted engines are hard on spark plugs. I’ve been dealing with this the last 30 years or so, since turbocharging gas engines became popular. I’ve tested every brand available, and most last me 750-1000 hours (that’s 24/7 at full load). I’ve found the Bosch Iridium to last the longest, I’m pushing those to 1500 hours. FWIW, I spend around $20K on spark plugs a year.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I replaced mine at 40k, but not for performance issues, just heard that they needed it sooner.
That might be blow-by on the ceramic but I don't know. I would guess 12 PSI boost on a gasser is hard on plugs but I had no change in performance before to after. All I know is, damn, those things are WAY down in that valve cover/head.

20160807_104819.jpg

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
d'oh, that's the plug for my weed whacker (took a picture to get the right replacement) :p

Here are the plugs for the ecoboost: Now these look like they were passing some gas :D
20160827_180342.jpg

rholbrook

I put my first set in at about 100K miles. The question is, for those of us that have EcoBoosts, would you go back to a non EcoBoost on a gas motor. There is no way you could get me out of my EcoBoost. I love the power, I really love how comfortable it is to drive and I love how roomy it is in the back, not that I ever sit back there but it has lots of room. I am not brand blind, I have owned them all, I just like the Ford 1/2 better at this point.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
No way. I am addicted to the low-end torque and the way it is unaffected by elevation.
On the twisty road to the top of Mt. Evans at 14,130 ft, the truck never went over 1800 rpm. There was a bit more turbo lag, but once they spooled up, bring on the torque.

Here's an interesting comparison of the HP/Tq of the 2013 models.
Look at the low-end torque of the Eco.
Then notice how much HP you get at low rpm due to the torque.
This is why people say that torque is what you want for towing.
Ecoboostvs62vs50-HP-Torque.png

Sorry, I am a total fanboy

Caleb

I really like my EB, but if the Toyota had the same interior features as the Ford, I’d go back in a heart beat.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I'm a huge fan of the ecoboost. My 2012 never really saw over 16 mpg but put a smile on my face the whole time. Honestly, unless the load was over about 8k lbs I would say it tows as good or better than the Duramax I have now. Only issue I had with it in over 100k miles was plugs and coils. Like the others said, 16 mpg's is about as good as you're going to see.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
There is no magic bullet. If you want to accelerate X pounds so fast or haul it up a hill a a particular rate you have have to expend energy, regardless of the source. The energy density of diesel fuel is higher and thus better mpg but the key to towing is engines with low end torque. Low end torque makes towing more comfortable. What matters to me now is the Boost part of EcoBoost, it provides that torque and this thing just does not see elevation. I had the same power on Mt. Evans at 14,000 ft as I have in my driveway at 4600 ft.

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
The question is, for those of us that have EcoBoosts, would you go back to a non EcoBoost on a gas motor.

I've owned the ecoboost and 5.0, if I was towing a lot I would hands down take the ecoboost. If I towed occasionally and mostly was just driving it I'd take the 5.0. I recently had to part with my lovely Ram 2500 and am currently looking for a more inexpensive truck, the ecoboost and 5.0 gen trucks are at the tippy top of my price range. I'd take either, I really wish the extended cabs didn't have the suicide door, I hated it on my 5.0 which is why I got rid of it. I don't need a full on 4 door, I'll probably end up with a 2nd gen tundra for the normal opening rear door..... that Toyota tax though

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
My 2016 3.5 EB has ruined all other non boosted engines for me. So fun to drive. Drove a 2018 tundra and had to double check that I didn't accidentally get the 6 cyl one, the difference was that much. I have spacer in the front and 34's, get 16. Was averaging closer to 19-20 on stock tires. Mpgs drop like a rock when towing.

rholbrook

I just got home from St George road trip for a Mtn bike race for Harrison. I set my cruise as often and as long as possible. Averaged 85 down and 90 mph back. I got 15.3 mpg. I’m good with that. I wasn’t empty, 4 adult size bodies and a bed full of suit cases, Mtn bike gear and camp chairs.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I went back and forth on the ecoboost and the ecodiesel when I was truck shopping. Didn't consider any other trucks at the time. I came super close to buying a ecoboost, but in the end came across an ecodiesel that won me over. It's not a flashy truck by any means. I drive fast, but my style of driving screams Old Man. I don't care about winning the race or drifting the rear end. The ecodiesel is just about the perfect truck for me.

My last trip to Arizona got me 23 MPG. Cruise was set at 83 mph most of the way. Bed and cab were full, but was running pretty light.

Pulling my new boat home from Boise a few weeks ago got me 14 mpg. The boat/trailer weighed in at 8140. Cruise control at 70mph, but backed out of it on the biggest hills to keep RPM's under 3000. On those hills I have to watch my engine oil temp pretty close at it will creep up to 266* which will then defuel the engine. This hasn't happened to me yet, but in the summer towing my old boat up Parley's my speed would be down to 50-55 to keep that from happening. That would be a deal breaker for a lot of ecoboost owners.

MPG's aren't that important though, when comparing the two. Look at cost per mile. Getting 23 MPG on diesel that cost $3.25 is $.14 per mile. Now if the ecoboost will run on regular ($3.09) at get 16mpg doing it, you're looking at $.19 per mile. That's not bad. Now if you have to pay for premium and are only getting 13-14 mpg that hurts.

I'll stick with my ecodiesel.....at least until the warranty runs out.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
If they made a long bed 4door Egoboost I'd be looking really hard at one.
Ford has really stepped it up. I love the fit and finish and power of my 6.2 4door long bed F250. 36 gallon tank I a huge plus.

Caleb

Towed for the first time with my EB this weekend. It towed fine but I’m not as impressed as many others are. All I had was my 4 seater rzr on an 18’ big bubbas car hauler. Maybe 2500 lbs? On the way to my cabin (just outside Mount Pleasant) mostly freeway and kept it between 70-75 the whole way besides going through some of the small towns as I got closer and I could only get 9.8mpg. Left the trailer and rzr at my cabin so empty on the way home I was able to do around 17mpg until I got fed up and star ed to drive like I normally do :D

My case may not be a fair comparison though given my EB is in my Raptor that has lower gears, 35” tires, a slightly different tune, and shitty suspension (for towing).

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
My case may not be a fair comparison though given my EB is in my Raptor that has lower gears, 35” tires, a slightly different tune, and shitty suspension (for towing).

450 hp / 510 lb-ft in a 6000+ truck and you aren't impressed with the gas mileage.. LOL :D