EcoBoost

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I was also reading about stuttering on these trucks being caused by condensation in the intercooler. A lot of people drill a 1/16 weep hole in the bottom to allow moisture to get pushed out under pressure. Seems bad, but enough people have done it without issue that it almost seems like a standard procedure for a lot of these guys.

I'm not sure if that's my problem, since those guys don't seem to be reporting misfire codes when they get the stutter from water being sucked up into the motor, but it might be a contributor? Anyone had experience with this?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
The issue with moisture in the intercooler wasn't related to stuttering that I've heard of. It was more about sucking in a large slug of water into the engine when you floor the pedal. Supposedly not enough to hydrolock, but can tend to take out the cats.
Not likely to be an issue in this area.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I was also reading about stuttering on these trucks being caused by condensation in the intercooler. A lot of people drill a 1/16 weep hole in the bottom to allow moisture to get pushed out under pressure. Seems bad, but enough people have done it without issue that it almost seems like a standard procedure for a lot of these guys.

I'm not sure if that's my problem, since those guys don't seem to be reporting misfire codes when they get the stutter from water being sucked up into the motor, but it might be a contributor? Anyone had experience with this?

I actually tried this before I switched coils. No real water or oil residue came out for me, but I still have the hole. I decided to leave it after I had driven a little bit and saw the residue being left. Catch cans are supposed to remove the oil also, but I haven't done those.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I now have the infamous hub grind in 2wd. Looks like it used to be thought of as a vacuum issue, but further research shows that needle bearings that the shaft rides on inside the hub assembly (when in 2wd) goes dry and causes it.

Anybody dealt with this?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I now have the infamous hub grind in 2wd. Looks like it used to be thought of as a vacuum issue, but further research shows that needle bearings that the shaft rides on inside the hub assembly (when in 2wd) goes dry and causes it.

Anybody dealt with this?

See my post just 1 page prior.
Still haven’t dealt with it though.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
See my post just 1 page prior.
Still haven’t dealt with it though.
In our Expedition we've got a very growly sounding drivers front wheel. (at least it sounds like its the front wheel) It has gotten progressively worse. It's usually starts from a dead stop, and then will go away at about 20-30 mph. It also goes away when it's warm outside, and gets WAAAAY worse when it's freezing. Engine temp, brake temp, long drive, and short drive don't seem to change the sound. Just outside temps.

It's not a typical bearing sound. It's sounds exactly like when driving in circles on pavement in 4x4. A low growly rur rur rur, with almost a clutchy sound. Increases with wheel speed. Does not go away if turning side to side.

Thoughts on what it might be. I'd love for it just to be a hub assembly.. but that doesn't seem right to me.
Awesome. Yep, same issue. Seems to be more prominent when cold.

I watched some videos of how that assembly works and it does look like that needle bearing that the shaft rides on could be causing the vibration... it doesn't make sense that it would be the gears making that noise as I'd think it would be much worse or noisy.

I've also replaced the vaccum parts on the system that were cheap and on the side making the noise to no change. Going to 4WD makes it go away instantly which makes sense because the hub would be in sync with the axle shaft riding that that needle bearing.

You can see the needle bearing inside the assembly:
1647289322372.png

The reason I think this might be it is there are reports of people greasing that bearing up and it goes away vs changing out the actuator.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Doing this soon - Apparently Ford skimped on a stud to support the weight of the turbos on these. Funny thing is, there's a threaded hole in the block FOR this stud but the manifolds didn't have the matching hole. So I have a nice broken stud and leaky exhaust that makes a whistle until it warms up. Very cool, Ford.

1708746530917.png

Pike2350

What year? Let us know how it goes. I am told the only way to do the manifolds is to remove the cab. I don't/can't do that so I am curious how it goes and what it entails

Coco

Doing this soon - Apparently Ford skimped on a stud to support the weight of the turbos on these. Funny thing is, there's a threaded hole in the block FOR this stud but the manifolds didn't have the matching hole. So I have a nice broken stud and leaky exhaust that makes a whistle until it warms up. Very cool, Ford.

View attachment 170039
Ford has since revised this - I think they are Gen 4 or 5 of new manifolds from the dealers? We have had several of these come in for this same reason. I don't get why they wouldn't have done that from factory, but have since 'updated' that design I guess.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
What year? Let us know how it goes. I am told the only way to do the manifolds is to remove the cab. I don't/can't do that so I am curious how it goes and what it entails
2016 and will do. I’ll be doing it when the weather warms up here and I can finally get all the salt and mud off the truck. Living on a dirt country road in the winter has some drawbacks 😂

Pike2350

Ford has since revised this - I think they are Gen 4 or 5 of new manifolds from the dealers? We have had several of these come in for this same reason. I don't get why they wouldn't have done that from factory, but have since 'updated' that design I guess.
Your shop does this work? I have found onlyb1 shop that would quote it outside a dealer. Needless to say the cost scares me.

Coco

We do - we are a full automotive shop. Its labor intensive, but its doable. We have had a couple clients that might be overloading their EBs pulling abilities, so that may be part of it. I know one for sure has a pretty big boat they pull.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
We do - we are a full automotive shop. Its labor intensive, but its doable. We have had a couple clients that might be overloading their EBs pulling abilities, so that may be part of it. I know one for sure has a pretty big boat they pull.
The trailer I used to pull in the work mobile was a bit above the rating. (Yes I argued we shouldn’t be pulling it). Also often hard pulls up LCC,BCC millcreek etc etc. After one particularly hard pull, (went into reduced power mode) I pulled into the site for the evening with my temp gauge pegged, and left my truck idling to cool. I was immediately reprimanded by my commander for wasting gas, as I tried to explain why, he lost his shit. My co-worker was a former mechanic, the noises my motor made after shutting off were terrifying. Legit thought it was leaving on a tow truck after. But it started up to my surprise. They’ll take some abuse, but I wouldn’t want to test that often.

I had a number of generations of the eco-turd. Broke several studs off the first gens. Seemed to have that sorted by the 2019 I had. That said I didn’t get a ton of miles on that before I resigned. Did cook it on some tows though.

Coco

Oh for sure, they can take more abuse than I think most give them credit for, but over and over or thinking they can still floor it up the hills pulling is I think where the biggest problems with these occur. UPD is never hard on their vehicles :rofl: I wouldn't be surprised if I ran into you on one of our ride alongs years ago. But you can't tell your superior anything, am I right?!