EcoBoost

DAA

The blue EB I ride shotgun in a bit is on it’s third go round with cam phasers.

This is his third EB F150. He has kind of hated it a little since it was new. The transmission hasn’t had any problems but he has never liked it at all either which has really surprised me. I love the 8 speeds in my Ram and Cindy’s JL and figured 10 would be even more better.

His transfer case did break in half once, too. Stuff happens...

But anyway... He loved his ‘13 and says it was the best truck he ever had but didn’t like the next one as much and has never really liked his current one.

Says he’s going Chevy NA v8 this time?

- DAA

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I love the concept of the ecoboost but I am pretty sour on them. Last winter we did the ALCAN 5000 rally through Canada and Alaska as film crew. We got an ecoboost expedition and it had cam phaser failure at ~30,000 miles roughly 500 miles out in the middle of frozen nowhere. It was a complete debacle with the rental company but long story short, I have a hard time believing they can be durable. A friend of mine runs an excavation company and they are having ecoboost motors fail left and right and are switching their fleet to Ram. Ohh I almost forgot we had issues with a ranger on that run as well. Again, I love the concept but it needs some more engineering work before I can trust it.

This is his third EB F150. He has kind of hated it a little since it was new. The transmission hasn’t had any problems but he has never liked it at all either which has really surprised me. I love the 8 speeds in my Ram and Cindy’s JL and figured 10 would be even more better.

But anyway... He loved his ‘13 and says it was the best truck he ever had but didn’t like the next one as much and has never really liked his current one.

- DAA

My next ride when I can afford something newer will be a 5.7 Ram 8 speed. I wanted a ram this go around but couldn't afford the years I wanted. Only years I could afford had a bad habit of flattening camshafts

Reactions: DAA

rholbrook

- DAA
2018 and 2019 there is an issue with the cam phasers. Hopefully for my new one that isnt an issue

Reactions: DAA

Pike2350

I'm surprised by all the issues. I don't know if it's a year thing, or what, but my '12 has been great. I have only done plugs at 50k because I read they get "eaten" I haven't done them again, but plan on it....I'm currently at 116k. I bought the truck with 35k on it and have done nothing other then the plugs and oil changes. I did swap brakes and rotors due to heavier towing a few years ago...but otherwise I haven't had a single issue. I've been very happy with it and hope it lasts longer. I know in '13 they increased the size of the turbos, but from the few owners I've known, I haven't heard of any issues, but my FIL and his brothers are on newer 2017 F150s...so they are still newish, but still no complaints.

Granted, with the prices I'm seeing for used, it makes me wonder if now is the time to sell it and get a Gladiator. I figure my truck is worth around $25k right now. Gladiators I want are around $55k....so I'd be in one for $30k....but I can't decide if I like them enough to forgo my truck which has everything I could want on it.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I bought an ecoboost because there are 14 pages in this thread talking about how awesome they are.

then, everything changes in the last page or two…

…and then my ecoboost acts up!! It’s like you guys secretly control my life from your computers. 🤦🏼‍♂️

4F36698B-3D88-4FA9-AE04-5C941240F55D.jpeg

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I bought an ecoboost because there are 14 pages in this thread talking about how awesome they are.

then, everything changes in the last page or two…

…and then my ecoboost acts up!! It’s like you guys secretly control my life from your computers. 🤦🏼‍♂️

View attachment 138908
Yeah when my dad was looking at F-150’s a couple years ago I was like I know a lot of people are happy with egoboosts. So he got one. Then this thread got really dark
1625331632728.jpeg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Ours has lost all power 6 times in the last 2 days, probably less than 30 miles total. The second time today it finally gave us a code. P2112, throttle body stuck. Seems common and typical for our symptoms.

Super Ironic, Yesterday I sprayed the valve cleaner through a vacuum home instead of through the throttle body, because I didn't want to pull the intake apart. Now I get to do it again, through the throttle body.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Seems to be the season of problems. Trucks been sitting since April drove yesterday to take whiz quiz for new job. Really bad vibration started halfway there, didn’t change with speed. Pulled into parking lot to check around something smelled really hot. Driver rear wheel was scorchin. Got it home pulled wheel off seemed like brakes were frozen. Broke them free, hit it with anti seize. Drove around today feels warmer than other side but not nearly as bad, wondering if I’m losing the bearing

Corban_White

Well, I made it down to AZ and back over the weekend.

PXL_20210702_115511060.jpg

Screenshot_20210701-202214.jpg

So far no good news to report. Truck still overheated on the climbs and on the way home (empty weight ~3100# according to the sticker on the trailer) from Fillmore on I had to baby it the whole way. It was 101*F with a headwind though. Going to be doing a little more testing this week and I'll update after that. For the record I have the max tow package and load range E tires. Until I have a solution, if anyone is dealing with overheating issues it can be mitigated. Get something that can monitor the temperature digitally. For the newer trucks (if you have a high enough trim level) you can turn the numbers on above the analog gauge with software such as FORScan. Torque for Android will do it with the right adapters as well as several other options. Then if the temp outside is high enough to cause problems, turn off the cruise and watch the temp. I just pulled 10k almost to Phoenix and (less weight) back and was able to make it happen without too much difficulty. Obviously I want to solve the issue so I can use the awesome power the truck has and not be limited by temps, but if I was in a 10yo 1/2 ton gasser id be going the same speed, just limited by power instead of temp. And when it cools down outside I don't worry about anything.

Regarding the direction this thread has gone, I still love my truck. I got it at 58k miles and now it has over 120k. It's had some issues but not very many. I'm not sure if the overheating was always an issue or if something has changed to cause it because I only towed smaller trailers with it until last year. Given the choice between any new truck, I'd probably still go with the EB. I drive one at work (we have about 30 in the fleet) and we haven't had any issues that I know about . I'm confident I will get this overheating issue resolved, its just a matter of time and money.

Coco

Mine just clicked over 208K and still running good. Just got back from a trip to the melaleuca festival in Idaho Falls over the weekend. It still has a couple hiccups on cold start up when in high idle, but I relate that to being a GDI. One thing I have noticed as of late is when I am on long freeway runs, then come to a stop, I can smell oil. I am wondering if a catch can will help that?

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Crazy how the EB was so much better than the triton in my Expedition with it’s scary spark plugs and cam phaser. Both known and fixable but expensive issues.

rholbrook

Just got back from Lake Powell where it was hot as hell but everything worked great. I wasnt pulling anything but I was loaded with coolers, water and pop. Got 15.9 mpg averaging 85. I say thats a win.

I ordered the sun roof on my new one but not so sure I am going to keep that on my order. It looks cool but I never use any of the sun roofs I have had in other cars or trucks. Anyone have it and like it?

Pike2350

I never use mine. In fact it broke last year and I haven't bothered to replace the $125 part to get it working. I do like it for hot days to help give an extra exhaust port for the heat in the cab...but otherwise hardly open it.

Granted, the newer trucks have a larger moon roof which I think would be cool....but I have found leaving the shade open on mine just makes me hotter driving around, so even it still stays closed most of the time.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I towed the Canguro Race car to Jackpot NV over the weekend (estimated weight between 8-9k lbs). Once on the way out, and once on the way back, I got a message that power was de-rated to lower engine temps. Both trips I was looking at 100+ ambient temps, pulling the same hill both times, towing at 75+ mph. The truck cut out at 250 degrees and speed dropped to 65ish and boost went close to 0 both times it de-rated. As soon as I crested, temps fell quickly to normal. Trans never got warm.

Overall, I was very impressed how the truck handled the load. I never felt like I had a lack of power when everything was in temp range.

I am however looking to trade mine in on a new F250 with the 7.3L. The new one gets to the dealer the end of July, so I have a little time to make up my mind, but I would like a heavier truck for towing my Land Cruiser.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Just got back from Lake Powell where it was hot as hell but everything worked great. I wasnt pulling anything but I was loaded with coolers, water and pop. Got 15.9 mpg averaging 85. I say thats a win.

I ordered the sun roof on my new one but not so sure I am going to keep that on my order. It looks cool but I never use any of the sun roofs I have had in other cars or trucks. Anyone have it and like it?
I never use mine. In fact it broke last year and I haven't bothered to replace the $125 part to get it working. I do like it for hot days to help give an extra exhaust port for the heat in the cab...but otherwise hardly open it.

Granted, the newer trucks have a larger moon roof which I think would be cool....but I have found leaving the shade open on mine just makes me hotter driving around, so even it still stays closed most of the time.

I've had a few friends get the sunroof fixed when it breaks.... $4k each for the two ford trucks I know of

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I towed the Canguro Race car to Jackpot NV over the weekend (estimated weight between 8-9k lbs). Once on the way out, and once on the way back, I got a message that power was de-rated to lower engine temps. Both trips I was looking at 100+ ambient temps, pulling the same hill both times, towing at 75+ mph. The truck cut out at 250 degrees and speed dropped to 65ish and boost went close to 0 both times it de-rated. As soon as I crested, temps fell quickly to normal. Trans never got warm.

Overall, I was very impressed how the truck handled the load. I never felt like I had a lack of power when everything was in temp range.

I am however looking to trade mine in on a new F250 with the 7.3L. The new one gets to the dealer the end of July, so I have a little time to make up my mind, but I would like a heavier truck for towing my Land Cruiser.

I'd be way interested in test driving that 7.3L with you. I do think it highly unlikely I buy one unless something happens to my V10 but I haven't found a 7.3L gas to even test drive yet. Curious how much the 10 speed trans would help it (I'd estimate a LOT)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

Our sunroof is broken, so we have it but don't/can't use it.