EcoBoost

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
If I ever had a truck that regularly got to the point of over heating while towing at its rated capacity I would definately not consider it a great truck, Especially considering this isnt a one off single truck issue this seems like across the board the ecoboost isnt up for the work its rated to do...

Have you ever owned a Cummins? You can melt down the turbo without even thinking about it. I don’t think there is a single truck out there that can tow its max capacity and throttle up a mountain side on a regular basis and not at some point have difficulty keeping cool

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I dunno… I’d hate to push any truck to its limit (max tow rating). I personally would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. A friend of mine pulls a 29’ camp trailer with his newer EB. Within the tow rating? Maybe. Scary? I dunno it’s a half ton truck with a turbocharged V6… to me it seems like he’s dancing on thin ice.

Aside from everything positive I’ve heard about them I think some people (not anyone here in particular—more that friend of mine) might be asking too much out of the EB. I think the brakes, cooling package, transmissions etc etc of a heavy truck 3/4-1ton might be the better option for anything/anyone pulling a decent amount of weight.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Have you ever owned a Cummins? You can melt down the turbo without even thinking about it. I don’t think there is a single truck out there that can tow its max capacity and throttle up a mountain side on a regular basis and not at some point have difficulty keeping cool
I have owned 5 different Cummins trucks and all of which towed at near capacity the better part of there lives. Never once did I have a single issue with the powertrain the only issue I ever had with any of them was a 2014 that had emissions related issues which I quickly dumped and got into something different.

I just don't see how someone can have issues with a truck doing what's it's meant to do and still in the same breath say it's a great truck.

@xj_nate can verify I do in fact tow more often and heavier than most people do, he has been on most of those trips with me.

lhracing

I dunno… I’d hate to push any truck to its limit (max tow rating). I personally would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. A friend of mine pulls a 29’ camp trailer with his newer EB. Within the tow rating? Maybe. Scary? I dunno it’s a half ton truck with a turbocharged V6… to me it seems like he’s dancing on thin ice.

Aside from everything positive I’ve heard about them I think some people (not anyone here in particular—more that friend of mine) might be asking too much out of the EB. I think the brakes, cooling package, transmissions etc etc of a heavy truck 3/4-1ton might be the better option for anything/anyone pulling a decent amount of weight.

I agree.

Last weekend I followed a F150EB up Weber canyon, he had a fairly large camping trailer and a second trailer with a RZR on it. In the flats he seemed to be doing ok but I am sure he was way over his truck's max gvw rating. I passed him because I didn't want to be behind him if something went wrong.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I have owned 5 different Cummins trucks and all of which towed at near capacity the better part of there lives. Never once did I have a single issue with the powertrain the only issue I ever had with any of them was a 2014 that had emissions related issues which I quickly dumped and got into something different.

I just don't see how someone can have issues with a truck doing what's it's meant to do and still in the same breath say it's a great truck.

@xj_nate can verify I do in fact tow more often and heavier than most people do, he has been on most of those trips with me.
Can confirm. 40’ gooseneck with 3 rigs on itfor long hauls like Washington. I’ve never doubted the ol’ Megacab.

I also see what you’re saying about not being able to say EgoBoosts are good trucks based on what we’re reading on here. It sounds like my ‘12 Ram 1500 Hemi was a miracle truck, especially by these low standards 😆

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

That's the thing though, these half tons are built similar to an older 3/4 ton in terms of brakes, frame strength and suspension, IMO. The EB is plenty capable, but does have its shortcomings.

Ours is rated to tow 10,900 and we have issues pulling a 6k trailer. There's an obvious problem with the cooling system as mentioned.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks

My experience has been, no modern consumer diesel, Cummins, Duramax or Powerstroke will hold up to max weight, throttle on the floor up long hills. EGT's will peg and stuff will melt. I would assume you are not trying to pull 80 mph with that load up long grades. Maybe my experience is unique.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I drove mine 1000 miles to Oregon and back this weekend. Didn't tow anything, but averaged 16.5 mpg at 80+ mph. I do love the truck and am now considering not trading it on a new one just yet. After talking it over with my wife, we may buy a trailer to park on some property and get a new truck in a few years. The getting hot issues I had last week were towing 8k lbs at 70mph up hill in 105 degree weather. I would expect many trucks to get hot with that load.

I will be towing a few thousand pounds to the Uintas soon with toys for a camping trip. I don't expect any issues on that trip either.

Last edited:

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
A guy at work was complaining about towing with his new 6.7 power stroke.... He tows doubles with a Camero"race car" behind his giant fifth wheel camp trailer. He's was saying it's such a piece of crap because he can't go up steep grades going 80mph like he could with his Duramax........ But then again he had a lot of overheating problem pushing the Duramax going that fast..... I was just like good God man. If you don't care about you family's life think about the other families driving on the same road as you .

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I towed a 20' camp trailer to Jackson's hole and back. Maybe like 5500 lbs. Averaged 11mpg. ECT 205-220*. Hit 230* climbing parleys in 100* heat doing about 60-65mph. Tft stayed 195-210 the entire time.

2016 with max tow in 35s (load c).
Just reference
It’s funny you say that because I got stuck behind 2 EB F-150’s going over Teton Pass. We’re talking 10 mph. It was brutal.
CBAB77DE-5E0F-4E79-9D03-C8EDE88A38CA.jpeg

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
T'waint me!

I did put it into protect mode once climbing the small grade south of Evanston. After 45 seconds with my blinker on I gathered the ****ing Subaru in my blindspot wasn't going to pass or move back, so I had to get off it and slip behind, but the double downshift to try to pass the semi on that hill was too much I guess. It still pulled the last quarter mile of hill at 60 though

haulinshine

Ford has answered why the overheating on EBs is happening. For those that don't want to watch the video, the tow rating on all passenger trucks is as a result of a test where the truck must be able to maintain 45MPH. Also you should drop your GCWR by 2% for every 1,000ft of altitude ie at a 10,000ft summit you would need to drop your max weight by 20% or 3900lbs for an f150 with max tow package. So if it is hot and you are looking at a steep grade just drop down to 45MPH and go up the hill at that speed.... that is totally what every one is going to do right?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I’d recommend OE as well just watch out for fakes. Same packaging, same look, same box etc but not what you think it is. I’m seeing it all over the PSD boards lately with glow plugs and I think I might have installed some counterfeit ones in mine 😣.

Just a heads up in case you don’t already know.