EcoBoost

thenag

This thread got me looking into dropping one in my 00 superduty. I would only need to buy a wrecked f150 eco boost, only about $15,000.

buying a broken $15,000 truck to put the drive train into a 12 year old $6000.00 truck... that sounds about right for me...

(actually I think I will try to score a newer 5.0L out of a f150 to replace my old 5.4, at least it is a modular motor so my manual transmission should bolt up, and I can buy a stand alone pcm for a manual thanks to the mustang crowd... The new 5.0 only gives up a little mpg and torque to the eco boost and will probably cost $8000.00 less to swap in)...

Nathan

notajeep

Just me
This thread got me looking into dropping one in my 00 superduty. I would only need to buy a wrecked f150 eco boost, only about $15,000.

buying a broken $15,000 truck to put the drive train into a 12 year old $6000.00 truck... that sounds about right for me...

(actually I think I will try to score a newer 5.0L out of a f150 to replace my old 5.4, at least it is a modular motor so my manual transmission should bolt up, and I can buy a stand alone pcm for a manual thanks to the mustang crowd... The new 5.0 only gives up a little mpg and torque to the eco boost and will probably cost $8000.00 less to swap in)...

Nathan

And you can make the blow off sound when you rev it at red lights. :greg:

UFAB

The new F150 has some new technology in their drivetrain for sure. My F150 5.0 coyote SCREW gets 19-21 @ 72-75 MPH and 13MPG towing 6500Lbs to KOH and back. City at 17MPG. Amazing for the V8, now the Ecoboost can see up to 23 MPG on the highway. To bad ford monitors the waste gates really closely on those. I went with the 5.0 based upon the mustang testing and aftermarket warranteed supercharger upgrades.

Amazing that a 1/2 ton can do it all and still get awesome MPG.

Ford Tough. I only got 12 mpg pulling the exceeded 12k limit

IMAG0234-1.jpg

EB101

Do EGT's become an issue like they do on diesels? Or just detonation?
These motors are direct injected so detonation isn't really an issue. They say to run premium while towing but otherwise regular. Also, the turbos are water cooled and they engineered a real conservative limit with the small turbos that wind up fast and low boost. They don't even put in a gauge for boost or EGT

What I like about the motor might be more about the future than this motor itself. The direct injection is damn cool technology and way over due. I bet we see a whole generation of new motors by every car maker that has it.

rholbrook

I had to sign a document that I wouldn't mess with the motor or I void my warranty. An extra 100 HP would be fun for sure but I like it the way it is. Mine is identical to the one shown with the 5.0 above. I really like this truck.

DAA

I'm putting my '08 Mega cab CTD up for sale this weekend and will be looking for a new half ton daily driver.

I did test drive the Ecoboost a couple weeks ago and just wasn't impressed at all. To the point I had kind of taken it off my list. But, reading this thread, I guess I better go back and look at it again.

Think I'm going to hold off on doing anything for awhile though - both for money reasons and because I'm curious to see what the air ride and eight speed transmission on the '13 Ram 1500 is all about. From what I can tell, by the time you put a leveling kit and 33's on the Ecoboost, the MPG isn't really much better than a Hemi Ram (which comes from the factory on 33's and fits 34's with a leveling kit).

You guys make a strong case for the Ecoboost. At this point, I'm firmly undecided :D.

- DAA

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i would've looked at the ecoboost but they are just so much more expensive than the hemi. if i needed the extra power to tow all the time or a few more mpg's i would've checked them out.

i do appreciate ford bringing a forced-induction gasoline truck to the mainstream though as it is the future :cool: but i'm very happy with my hemi/smaller payment/less debt

rholbrook

Its not just the motor because I like the Hemi's. You need to ride in the Ford, a road trip, its just sooo much more comfortable. Air ride is really nice, the new Dodges are good looking. There is a white one here in Kaysville that is lifted. I have air ride on my Expedition. It scares me to think what it will cost when it goes out and I have to get it fixed.

Dave, come get mine, you will like it.

N-Smooth

i'm comfortable in my dodge and didn't notice a difference in comfort in a comparable f150. i didn't spend the extra money on leather and all that jazz cause i just wanted a truck with a big cab and a v8. i don't need a luxury truck. like i said earlier, i can understand why other people spend the extra cash but i just hate car payments and debt. i guess i could put a blower on my ram and still be out the door cheaper than an ecoboost but i'm not interested. the only mod i've done so far is removing the 17 badges (not a lie) and that might be the only mod until it's paid for.

air ride is pretty sweet but when the compressor died on my father-in-law's navigator it turned into a sweeeet lowrider :rofl: and had him stranded in jackson hole for a while.
my dad has the same year expedition without air ride and he has never had a problem with his suspension ;) it's just one of those things.

Its not just the motor because I like the Hemi's. You need to ride in the Ford, a road trip, its just sooo much more comfortable. Air ride is really nice, the new Dodges are good looking. There is a white one here in Kaysville that is lifted. I have air ride on my Expedition. It scares me to think what it will cost when it goes out and I have to get it fixed.

Dave, come get mine, you will like it.

DAA

I appreciate that Russ and I might have to come take a spin. Like I said though, even if I get my CTD sold right away, I'm going to hold off awhile on buying a new truck.

Anyhoo... Didn't mean to side track the Ecoboost thread. I'm not a brand loyal guy at all. I've owned all of the big three and don't have a preference based on the emblems. And my mind isn't made up yet at all. I really was pretty disapointed in the Ecoboost test drive I took though. Before the test drive, I was pretty sure that's what I was going to buy, now I might be leaning towards something else.

- DAA

N-Smooth

i also apologize for any side-tracking. i'm also not trying to bash the ecoboost or even ford. i too am not really a brand loyalist but more of a get-what-fits-the-bill loyalist ;)

besides the awesomeness of ford bringing a forced-induction gasoline motor to the mainstream (like i already mentioned) i am also stoked to see people put them in crawlers/racers and to see them in the junkyard one day for cheap motor swaps.

I appreciate that Russ and I might have to come take a spin. Like I said though, even if I get my CTD sold right away, I'm going to hold off awhile on buying a new truck.

Anyhoo... Didn't mean to side track the Ecoboost thread. I'm not a brand loyal guy at all. I've owned all of the big three and don't have a preference based on the emblems. And my mind isn't made up yet at all. I really was pretty disapointed in the Ecoboost test drive I took though. Before the test drive, I was pretty sure that's what I was going to buy, now I might be leaning towards something else.

- DAA

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I really have no complaints about my F150, I opted for the ford even though i've been more of a dodge guy in the past, just because of previous reasons stated. The ride of the ford is much better, I feel the quality and fit and finish of Ford has surpassed the other two in the last few years. Also at 6'3 the Ford was by far the most comfortable and roomy, the chev's have a nice fit to. I can hardly fit in the new dodges i've been in with a passenger in the back. With my seat in the driving position a passenger behind me is more than comfortable without me having to move my seat like I did in the dodge, excluding the mega cab.

N-Smooth

this is where i'll disagree. that's the first time i've heard someone say that the f150 rides smoother. the coils in the rear of the ram are awesome. the first time i rode in one i was thinking hmmm i wonder how long it will take ford and gm to catch on to this. even my brother-in-law who belongs to a ridiculously ford-loyal family (their whole extended family even LOVES ford) noticed the ride quality in my ram first thing. even my father-in-law who thinks less of me (dead serious) for buying a ram and tried to pick apart everything on it could not complain about the ride.
that being said, the coils are obviously not as good for towing heavy loads because they are softer than leafs. throw in a set of airbags for $200 and you're set though.

as far as room goes- i'm 6'6" and i fit in my own back seat with the front seat all the way back with no knee contact. i love the crew cabs! i almost have to move my front seat forward so i'm not so far from the steering wheel.

i love the new technology across the board in the new trucks and it's awesome how one company will bring something to the mainstream, the others will see the success and implement something similar in their trucks.

I really have no complaints about my F150, I opted for the ford even though i've been more of a dodge guy in the past, just because of previous reasons stated. The ride of the ford is much better, I feel the quality and fit and finish of Ford has surpassed the other two in the last few years. Also at 6'3 the Ford was by far the most comfortable and roomy, the chev's have a nice fit to. I can hardly fit in the new dodges i've been in with a passenger in the back. With my seat in the driving position a passenger behind me is more than comfortable without me having to move my seat like I did in the dodge, excluding the mega cab.

UFAB

What did it for me with the new F150 was that I could fit my ATV in the back of 4 door with the 6'-6" bed and close the tail gate. Only Half ton on the market that has that capability with the SCREW, Super Crew Cab design. The 6 spd trans and effiecient engines were also a nice feature, towing capacity around 12K was more than adequate for a crawler on a trailer or even a fifth wheel setup. Leather air conditioned seats are not the reason to buy these trucks, just all the real world truck features that make it an everyday automobile.

The F150 forums are pretty cool.

http://www.f150forum.com/f70/

DAA

What did it for me with the new F150 was that I could fit my ATV in the back of 4 door with the 6'-6" bed and close the tail gate.

That's a big deal to me too and also a big reason I had pretty much already made up my mind to buy the Ecoboost (until I drove one and had second thoughts...). Kind of a funny thing about it though, I couldn't actually find a SCrew with the 6.5' bed in inventory anywhere around here when I looked. Which is no big deal, can always find one to bring in from somewhere or even order one if need be. But what was downright funny, is when I told the sales guy at LHM that I had to have a SCrew with the 6.5' box, he told me he'd never seen one like that and was "pretty sure" Ford doesn't even make them! I had to pull up the Ford website on my phone and prove it to him.

Just gotta love car salesmen...

The '13 Ram 1500 has the option of the crew cab with 6' 4" box now too though. So the F150 isn't the only choice to get that configuration anymore. And - I know, the 2" can/does make all the difference in getting the tail gate closed on an ATV, but not with mine. It has a ginormous stealth muffler on the back so the tailgate won't actually close with either bed length. But with the 5' 7" bed it won't even fit inside a bed extender on the tailgate, with the 6' 4" bed (what I have now on my Mega cab), it works.

- DAA

thenag

Manufacturing has gotten really really great in the past 20 years. My 2000 superduty has only had one major failure and that was when the fuel pump died at 208,000 miles. (and it stranded me in my garage, so that was nice) Stupid things that used to come apart last longer, power windows and locks, interior etc has all gotten better. (my 5.4L SD has 224,000 miles now and is original motor, clutch, tranny, t-case, wheel bearings, axle seals, alternator, the list goes on, it is hella reliable) The fact is that there are more and more of these vehicles going 200,000 miles with no real problems. Not just Fords but all vehicles.

Back to the topic of new motors, the increased efficiency is great. IMO Ford has always led the truck market with engine control, by 1988 all their full size trucks had multi-port EFI, by 1998, all their gas trucks had OHC, and distributor-less ignition, also ford had the first trucks with variable cam timing. Things like this have caused them to have reputation of releasing technology that has not been proven and things like the EEC-IV class action suit happen. This seems to be a completely opposite of GM, but the advantage of GM is the parts for a 350 will fit a 350. With ford parts for a 302 will not always fit a 302, you gotta figure out what year and what plant the motor came from...

In 1992 the ford mustang had a 302 CI push rod motor with EFI that was advertised at 225hp and 300lb/ft of torque, in 2012 (twenty years later) the mustang has a 5.0L with 420hp and 390lb/ft of torque. The gas mileage is similar, but an increase of almost 100 hp and 100 lb/ft is pretty damn good. With push rods and carburetors I thought the goal was to get 1 hp per cubic inch, today manufactures are doing much better than that with stricter emissions.

Side note, I think it will be a long time before eco-boost swaps become common. There are not a lot of transmissions it will bolt up to, that motor is really built for the transmissions that are offered with it, (so no manual with a 4x4) throw in the 2000psi fuel rail and it becomes pretty complicated to just throw one in a jeep or muscle car, it is nowhere near as easy or cheap as throwing a vortec 350 in a vehicle. I am not saying it won't become a common swap, I am just saying that it is a long way off. I think the new 5.0 will be more popular. It is already available as a crate motor and stand alone PCM. Also there are a ton of great transmissions that will bolt up to the MOD block. (ZF 5peed... mmm synchronized granny gear) I have never checked but I would guess that the SD t-cases are interchangeable with with ford t-cases back to the late 70's (np 203/205 which would allow an easy way to do a passenger side drop front axle )

hmmmmm

talking about ecoboosts.... that stayed on topic :)

nathan