EcoBoost

rholbrook

I drove all the trucks except for the Titan before buying. I have been on road trips in the big three including the 12 Dodge and 12 Chev. I pulled with the Chev. The Dodge had the worst seats out of the three. My preference boiled down to the Ecoboost.

Dave, I had a harder time finding the shorter bed with the options I wanted. Willey had two of the longer beds but no shorter beds.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
this is where i'll disagree. that's the first time i've heard someone say that the f150 rides smoother. the coils in the rear of the ram are awesome. the first time i rode in one i was thinking hmmm i wonder how long it will take ford and gm to catch on to this. even my brother-in-law who belongs to a ridiculously ford-loyal family (their whole extended family even LOVES ford) noticed the ride quality in my ram first thing. even my father-in-law who thinks less of me (dead serious) for buying a ram and tried to pick apart everything on it could not complain about the ride.
that being said, the coils are obviously not as good for towing heavy loads because they are softer than leafs. throw in a set of airbags for $200 and you're set though.

as far as room goes- i'm 6'6" and i fit in my own back seat with the front seat all the way back with no knee contact. i love the crew cabs! i almost have to move my front seat forward so i'm not so far from the steering wheel.

i love the new technology across the board in the new trucks and it's awesome how one company will bring something to the mainstream, the others will see the success and implement something similar in their trucks.

Let me rephrase, I can't with passengers fit comfortably in a truck offered with the 6.5 foot bed. You can't get the (insert manufacture name here for bigger 4door truck) in the 6.5 bed, 5.5 foot bed for me is almost useless I can't even put my dirt bike in there with the tailgate up. I'm a fan of dodges, I love em i've owned 3. Guess if I was more patient ans DAA eluded to I could get one next year. I'm happy with my purchase and will be happy to report back the more I drive it.

Also I picked up my 6.5 foot bed in stock at the dealership, Henry Day Ford in WVC had quite a few if your still looking

rholbrook

I pulled the 12' trailer yesterday out to Dell loaded with three big motorcycles and two smaller motorcycles and go the same MPG as I do pulling my boat. I was doing nearly 80 most of the way but I find that interesting. By the way, there is a pit on Cedar Mountain that looks like they are actively pulling something out of the ground there. Does anyone know what it is? There is a canyon you can go through where the south side you have the fire come right up to the road and on the north side they were able to stop it. You come to a summit with a sign that says something about it being on the California trail. At the bottom of the canyon on the west side of the mountain we took a road called Hastings Cut Off or something like that. Anyone know what they are digging out of there?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Update if anyone cares.

I finally pulled a decent load with my Ecoboost. Towed my 4runner down to Moab from Salt Lake. Average MPG of 11.5, had the cruise set at 65mph mostly due to shady trailer tires. At no point did it ever slow below speed, and never jumped over 2500 RPM's even on the big climbs

My truck only has the 3.31 gears, which I believe is the highest offered in the 4x4's, it did not leave me wanting more gearing or power. It did everything I asked and on the few occasions I passed I was able to go from 65-75 before getting around the vehicle.

I probably would have managed better mileage with the next lower gears, but since I don't tow that often i'm happy with the performance.

On a side note some other owners I have spoken to said their mileage when up significantly around 10k miles. I'm averaging around 22-25 on the highway right now

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Just for the record and to "compare" my 555 Cummins got 12.6 mpg towing between Woods Cross and Green river. Overhead was a bit optimistic at 18.1. Sounds like the Ecoboost is similar in towing to my cummins? (At least towing my 4500 lb jeep on my flatbed trailer)

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Few things I forgot to add, I have the super crew and 6.5 foot bed and about half of it was full of firewood, along with the rest of it being stuffed with camping gear. I thought I would absolutely have to buy air bags for the truck when I bought it. After pulling the trailer, and the added weight in the bed my mind was changed. I really don't foresee myself ever having to much more weight on it than I did on this trip. The rear end was sagging a little but not much. The ride was very comfortable and stable. I guess time will tell when the springs break in a little bit more, but for the time being no air bags for me.

DAA

Sounds like a winner.

I'm still undecided, and won't be buying for another six months or so anyway. So I'm still soaking up all the feedback I can get.

- DAA

rholbrook

Dave, come get mine and hook a trailer to it. That's all you need. I like mine more and more every trip I go on in it. I got mine with an electric rear locker and I use it for the first time this last weekend.

rholbrook

I had to run to St George Wednesday night. I topped off in Bountiful and probably averaged 78 MPH the whole way. The computer said I was getting 18.3 MPG. I had more than 1/2 tank when I got there. Drove across town once, packed up and drove back. I averaged probable 85ish until Santaquin. Computer said 18.4 MPG when I got home.

I just filled up this morning, twice, 35 gallons and 643 miles. I hate that you can only get $100 worth of gas at a time. The computer said I had zero miles to empty and that came on a mile away from my house last night. That works out to be 18.37 MPG. The fact that I can get nearly 650 on a tank, a bigger tank, I know, but at least you can get a bigger tank. It makes me wonder what I would get if I actually drove 65. At 75, I know I get 21 MPG.

I still say this is the best truck I have ever owned.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I had to run to St George Wednesday night. I topped off in Bountiful and probably averaged 78 MPH the whole way. The computer said I was getting 18.3 MPG. I had more than 1/2 tank when I got there. Drove across town once, packed up and drove back. I averaged probable 85ish until Santaquin. Computer said 18.4 MPG when I got home.

I just filled up this morning, twice, 35 gallons and 643 miles. I hate that you can only get $100 worth of gas at a time. The computer said I had zero miles to empty and that came on a mile away from my house last night. That works out to be 18.37 MPG. The fact that I can get nearly 650 on a tank, a bigger tank, I know, but at least you can get a bigger tank. It makes me wonder what I would get if I actually drove 65. At 75, I know I get 21 MPG.

I still say this is the best truck I have ever owned.

I didn't run it for a super long period, but when running 65mph I was averaging a solid 25mpg

STAG

On my grind
image_zps0e174ec1.jpg

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
OK, I was going to comment along the lines of "I bet he believed i Santa Claus too" until I saw the Ontario plates so his mpg may be in imperial gallons.
That said, If he's only getting just over half that then he's spending a LOT of time listening to those turbos sing.
From personal experience, if you drive gently, you will get decent mpg, if you drive it like a hot rod, your ET's drop like crazy along with you mpg.

I've been towing 8300lbs of gear and trailer through the Uintas at over 10,000ft and you will not find another stock engine that will pull like this one unless you go diesel.
And diesels do it so well for some of the same reasons, turbos help you develop torque at low rpm and maintain it at elevation.
Now, as to longevity under all that boost (if you want to call 15 psi a lot), well, time will tell.

Here is an interesting article about the ecoboost engine performance at altitude http://www.ask.com/explore/effects-altitude-f150-ecoboost-5040.
According to this article, the engine should produce full rated power up to about 22,000'. From my experience, it has full power at 10,000.

rholbrook

I have had mine a year now and I'm afraid I am still loving it. Just got back from Page, Az (antelope marina) and I averaged 11.6 mpg pulling my boat which is 5K lbs dry, and all the food, water, pop, etc for 20 people for a week. No idea but I think I may have been pushing 8K lbs at an average of 75mph until I went through Hatch to Kanab. I still really really like this truck. I heard rumor that they were going to toss the turbos on the Coyote motor. If they did that, I would get rid of the one I have and step up to it

DAA

I just bought a Ram but drove several EB's in the process. Damn good trucks in my opinion. Definitely superior to the Ram for towing or hauling. Ram just fit my needs and budget better at this time. If I could have got the EB for same money with same warranty I would have in a second. Very nearly did a couple times. LHM just kept sweetening the Ram deal until it just made more sense for me at this time.

- DAA

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I just bought a Ram but drove several EB's in the process. Damn good trucks in my opinion. Definitely superior to the Ram for towing or hauling. Ram just fit my needs and budget better at this time. If I could have got the EB for same money with same warranty I would have in a second. Very nearly did a couple times. LHM just kept sweetening the Ram deal until it just made more sense for me at this time.

- DAA

how much of a price difference was there between the Dodge and F*rd? What trim level on the F*rd? King Ranch?

UFAB

The 5.0 gets better towing MPG in the F150

Pulled 12050lbs from Seattle to SLC

2012 f150 5.0 SCREW 4x4 Lariat

10.5 mpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

YOUKNOW

I love hearing all of the talk about the motors. What about the drive-line. You guys have any issues with rough shifts or hear of transmissions giving up the ghost? It seems like with all of the extra horsepower, there might be issues with them?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I love hearing all of the talk about the motors. What about the drive-line. You guys have any issues with rough shifts or hear of transmissions giving up the ghost? It seems like with all of the extra horsepower, there might be issues with them?

I didnt have mine long enough to say, but we use a bunch of these at work and they are taking the daily abuse well. a number ofnthem with 40-50k miles and no drivetrain issues.