EcoBoost

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Still love mine. I have 92K miles with no issues. My mileage is starting to drop a little so it's probably time for a tune up.

Russ,

I've read these engines eat spark plugs and changing them every 30-50k works wonders.
12 psi boost. why would the plugs care? :)

EB101

can you hear the turbos whine when you're driving but when I'm looking at a test drive and I can hear the whine of the turbos. I don't know if it's the aftermarket AFE intake it or if it's just something I should be concerned about

Just guessing, the turbos are fine. The turbos do get louder as they age, New they are pretty quiet but you could hear them. The intakes will definitely make them louder. For '15 they added more quieting material and piped v8 noise into the cab. I'd grown to love the sound of the turbos and it pissed me off for about a minute or two.

cackalak

What octane are you guys using on gas? Manual says at least 87, even at higher elevation states. Most people I've talked to locally (in Salt Lake area) say they just use 85 regular. I've been using premium while towing, but mid-grade other times. Just past 7k miles now. ('15 2.7L)

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
We have begun the search for the perfect used crew cab 3.5 ecoboost, too much positive feedback around to not buy one. From my research you have to choose between "eco"(economy) or "boost" but it will be fine when I get used to it, and keeping in mind how much each fill up takes out of my pocket will make me go easy on the throttle.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
We have begun the search for the perfect used crew cab 3.5 ecoboost, too much positive feedback around to not buy one. From my research you have to choose between "eco"(economy) or "boost" but it will be fine when I get used to it, and keeping in mind how much each fill up takes out of my pocket will make me go easy on the throttle.

Gas is cheap right now enjoy the boost. Also my work ecoboost gets flogged, has lots of idle time and pulls heavy trailers up steep canyons a lot and still has an average of 13.5 in the last 10k.

Pike2350

Well I pulled the trigger on the one I was looking at on Saturday. So far I'm very happy with it. It's more then I needed in creature comforts, but the price was the best price I've found on them in the past 2 months....even with the extra doo-dads. I'll have to keep in mind the gas...I did my first fill up with 85, but won't be towing very often. So far I'm hitting about 17mpg with it...and that's being pretty light on the pedal most of the time, and freeway driving.

Now, to do something about the grill.

dqQN2nm-UMiiZ1rWz3fD7HzIXa2R_ZNRzacKy8VXVyhDPLXPZujSUfRb-KYuEJGUR71ynAuU7P3S3t8Ir6xaGVSyLjx-A2wzBmX036h7CXNyRqtj4e5A8OfqViMdT903QjKFawhw3ikK-2XVXHBq1T85hZS2P7H3Fk0LAh54E-5QSQBmMF368wY0ITs0_RRdDTLjE9ovdGE_aNtMQCWF9wHN9sVB07vvVMkWWPSHVPfP4eJ8XDskitkIt68HRApL0E5DhIvNrUpvcJS9LmEpzwq8C6_wmk70brJhgTkKwgDAtAYREIWNfSzK6YAxO1ta0CKfjpRfQRIkjt-GXTGM6CKWAN273M2nEqttKeehnJSrN7Iu6wms9DCKZD1tXrIEWa77X70LXKV1ZobAviu35tqvCYNXsVUnZMgR7m3VFaJk-O7soGI_PuA32uRft3gobs62zPVSP05PXysOzTcPxCab7VLmHKcoDipiTL6CcRFkoHm6Z6sDYGSNH5F2MWshl96muMkCHciUUqntr-7zHc5fCwulBn4ofJLMt9GKOJtbmBnW1IropKzTAwG8PGT9fjq5g67C8La3bLq7w19mmnxKdI1aNpk=w1280-h721-no

rholbrook

I had a guy tell me yesterday that he was getting 29 MPG on his Hemi from Sand Point, ID to Denver and 22 on the way back pulling a U-Haul heavily loaded. I said bullshit to him. You will average 15 or so combined and may get up to 21 or so on the highway empty if you stay under 75. Towing maybe 13-14 unless its really heavy then you will be closer to 11-12 mpg. They don't get any better than any other 1/2 ton out there. The difference is you have more HP and Torq than the others and they are so much fun to stomp on. I hope you got the bigger 35 gal tank. It makes those long trips nice if your wife isn't with you making you take pee stops all the time.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I just did a run to Idaho Falls last weekend and got 19mpg @ 83 mph.
I also got a 16" crack in my windshield when some asshat merged back into my lane (right lane) about about 10 ft in front of me in a stretch of fresh gravel. grrrrr......
Oh well, Safelite is going to pay my deductable, so no money out of pocket, just time and aggravation.

I usually run 85 octane as well, even towing. The one time I towed with premium I was climbing the grade to Strawberry Res. with about 8200# total trailer and gear. At the last short steep section at the top, the truck temp climbed a bit and the computer said it was reducing power output. The outside temp was about 95*. I've done this before with reg. gas and had no issues. I'm wondering if the higher octane allowed the cpu to lean out the mix more and it ran a little bit hotter.

On one trip back from the swell, strong tailwind and 65 mph speed limit and I got 22 mpg !

If you are towing a travel trailer or something else with a large frontal area, speed kills your mpg.
My trailer @ 65mph and no headwind would yield about 9mpg. Toss in a headwind and it drops to 7.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I had a guy tell me yesterday that he was getting 29 MPG on his Hemi from Sand Point, ID to Denver and 22 on the way back pulling a U-Haul heavily loaded. I said bullshit to him. You will average 15 or so combined and may get up to 21 or so on the highway empty if you stay under 75. Towing maybe 13-14 unless its really heavy then you will be closer to 11-12 mpg. They don't get any better than any other 1/2 ton out there. The difference is you have more HP and Torq than the others and they are so much fun to stomp on. I hope you got the bigger 35 gal tank. It makes those long trips nice if your wife isn't with you making you take pee stops all the time.

Our road trips now include the wife and a baby so stops are inevitable.

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I love the 36 gal tank.
I have a range of almost 600 miles when out exploring dirt roads.
Fill-ups can be painful, though.

cackalak

A 36 gallon tank is a no-brainer. It makes the long road trips so much better, even with young kids. I hated seeing that low gas light come on when we got our new born finally asleep. Stop at a station, and it was an instant wake up call.

Filling up is a bit painful, but at least when the gas is on the cheap cycle, you can "hoard" more gas. :D

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I was talking to a friend last night that is looking into the eco boost F150. He tows a boat that weighs 8k (ish) and wants to pull it up Parleys doing 75. Is this reasonable?

Currently he has a heavy half Chevy that is falling apart that doesn't have the power he needs or wants for towing the boat. He's a little anxious because what he really wants to do is hook up his boat to a test vehicle and run it up the canyon to see whats its really like but there isn't any dealer that would allow that.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
The guys in Bountiful and the guys at LHM 13th South were cool with me doing a tow test. I never did take either up on it but they both were fine with it

rholbrook

Have him come take mine. At that weight and that speed, the temp will probably climb but its because turbos are really working hard, especially if its 90+ degrees outside. I have pushed mine too hard before and had to pull my foot out of the carpet. 80 up trappers on that long haul pulling my heavy boat really wasn't necessary.

Jesser04

It will pull 75 over parleys with that load. Here's my take on the ecoboost I have three really good friends that own them we all boat together and have similar sized boats. If you are towing at 75-80 with an ecoboost you will average sub 10's and around town empty you will average mid to upper teens. I pull with a 2016 duramax I just went to Powell and punished it the whole way down and back averaged 11 and I've got 18 going to the gorge and back empty I get 13 around town. I believe it's 6's and the added stability that you get from the 3/4 or 1ton truck makes it a no brainer to go with the diesel.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
My friend is more responsible than I am so I doubt that he needs or even would do Parleys at 75, but I said that to make the point that he wants a truck that has enough power pulling his boat. With all the vehicles I've owned or driven I've kind of used Parleys as my litmus test. I sent him the link to this thread and hes going to read through it so I'm sure he appreciates the comments that you all have made over the last 4 years. He texted me this morning and said he is going to go drive some this afternoon so we'll see how that goes.

I'll just add that he has also looked at diesels but only tows the boat ten or so times a year and DDs his current truck. The work commute for him is less than 5 miles each way. He doesn't want to spend a ton and is looking in the $20k range and likes stock.

Last edited: