EcoBoost

rholbrook

For me personally, the payback on a diesel isn't there. I like the ride of a 1/2 ton over a 3/4 or 1 ton. That being said, those new GMC diesels are really nice. Right now I have about 1500 miles on my MPG reset. It is showing 15.6 mpg average. I can live with that. What I really like is the 36 gal tank, the big back passenger room and the quietness and torque of that motor. It rides and drives nice and it doesn't cost a fortune to change the oil. The premium for the diesel makes it so the payback for that premium would take longer than the truck will last for me. When I replace my truck, it will be with another Eco-Boost.

For me personally, the payback on a diesel isn't there. I like the ride of a 1/2 ton over a 3/4 or 1 ton. That being said, those new GMC diesels are really nice. Right now I have about 1500 miles on my MPG reset. It is showing 15.6 mpg average. I can live with that. What I really like is the 36 gal tank, the big back passenger room and the quietness and torque of that motor. It rides and drives nice and it doesn't cost a fortune to change the oil. The premium for the diesel makes it so the payback for that premium would take longer than the truck will last for me. When I replace my truck, it will be with another Eco-Boost.

We love our EB SCrews at work. Just add bags, 8000lbs all day long. The F150 SCrew has bigger brakes and more power than pretty much any 80s or 90s 3/4 ton. Front suspension seems stiffer than my '99 K2500. Frame is likely stronger.

The new diesels are for towing 12,000+lbs. The EB SCrew is about the best dd/tow rig I can think of for a jeeper, boater, SxSer, etc where the load is under 10,000lbs (maybe 12,000?) 8-9mpg while towing, 17ish when not.

And I drive a 7.3 X with bags and other goodies.

cackalak

I don't tow much, so buying a gas rig was a no brainer. I typically tow a 7x15 ft enclosed trailer (~5k lbs). Last trip down south, hauling 6 people total with the trailer, I was averaging 8.5MPG going 75+ on the freeway. Not bad. No struggling up steep grades. Just push the pedal harder and up she goes. I never felt I didn't have enough power. Works great for my needs, while averaging (mixed) 18.1mpg city/highway.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
There are a number of EB for under $20k. I'd like to buy one, but I can't figure out how to haul 5 dirtbikes in it. A flat bed would look pretty silly.. And I think something like a sleddeck would stick out too far and hit the Camper.. But maybe I'll explore this option.
I could sell the Colorado and be down to just 1 truck to do it all.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Just saw that the 2017 EB will have more power, 50 more pounds of torque (470) and a 10 speed tranny! Ford is getting serious.

sixstringsteve

I test drive an EB transit tonight. Impressive amount of power. I wonder if the vans will get the 10 speed trans soon as well.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
It will pull 75 over parleys with that load. Here's my take on the ecoboost I have three really good friends that own them we all boat together and have similar sized boats. If you are towing at 75-80 with an ecoboost you will average sub 10's and around town empty you will average mid to upper teens. I pull with a 2016 duramax I just went to Powell and punished it the whole way down and back averaged 11 and I've got 18 going to the gorge and back empty I get 13 around town. I believe it's 6's and the added stability that you get from the 3/4 or 1ton truck makes it a no brainer to go with the diesel.

I have to agree with this, as much as I want a more spacious 4-door truck I really don't want to give up the added stability of our long bed diesel 3/4 ton Chevy, not to mention it was almost impossible to find one with a manual transmission. The EB would tow our boat just fine with a few more creature comforts, but towing our boat to the gorge and back I average close to 12 as well, so I may hold off on the EB for a bit. And of course it would be tough to justify buying a different truck when all it gets used for is towing the boat and sees about 6-7k miles a year.

Pike2350

I'll add a little note here. In reading on some f150 forums, people were claiming to get better mileage by going with a higher octane level. I found this strange since you really only need the lowest octane as per Ford. I decided I'd try it for a tank. Last tank (pre 88 octane) I averaged 16.3, the tank before that 16.6. I didn't keep the best track for tanks before that (I've run about 5 tanks since I got this) The last fill up was with 88 octane. So far my driving is about the same as before, but the computer is telling me I'm averaging 17.6-17.7 I am about 200 miles through this tank, so I won't know for sure until a little later..but I think that's pretty impressive. There really isn't a ton of savings though since the higher octane is about $.10 more expensive, which means on my 36 gal tank, when I fill up (usually with 30-32 gallons) I will pay an extra $3+. If I can continue to get 1mpg more, that will equate to about 30-32 more miles....which would be close to $4-5 worth of gas at the regular 16.5mpg.

I just found it interesting, and though I'd pass along the information.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I'll add a little note here. In reading on some f150 forums, people were claiming to get better mileage by going with a higher octane level. I found this strange since you really only need the lowest octane as per Ford. I decided I'd try it for a tank. Last tank (pre 88 octane) I averaged 16.3, the tank before that 16.6. I didn't keep the best track for tanks before that (I've run about 5 tanks since I got this) The last fill up was with 88 octane. So far my driving is about the same as before, but the computer is telling me I'm averaging 17.6-17.7 I am about 200 miles through this tank, so I won't know for sure until a little later..but I think that's pretty impressive. There really isn't a ton of savings though since the higher octane is about $.10 more expensive, which means on my 36 gal tank, when I fill up (usually with 30-32 gallons) I will pay an extra $3+. If I can continue to get 1mpg more, that will equate to about 30-32 more miles....which would be close to $4-5 worth of gas at the regular 16.5mpg.

Google "octane rating and knock sensor" if you are curious as to why you get better mpg and slightly more power with a higher octane fuel. For numerous reasons I run premium in all of our cars regardless of the price at the pump, if a couple of bucks is a deciding factor for someone they probably shouldn't be driving a truck.

rholbrook

Updating this thread.

At about 80K miles the front end started making a growling noise. I checked the brakes, looked good but replaced them anyway, still the same noise. It was intermittent. Started getting more frequent so I took it to the dealer. Bad uni-bearing. Ford replaced it free of charge and also replaced the other side as well with no cost. Sweet, out of warranty and they covered it

At 101K miles it started to make a whistle sound. It was mostly at startup and if I mashed the peddle to the floor. Took it to the dealer, cracked exhaust manifold. I purchased an extended warranty a while back from LHM and it was covered under that. $100 out of pocket. No big deal.

I started to notice MPG dropping a little and if I took off really fast or was WOT passing on the highway it started to cut out so I bought a set of OEM Motorcraft spark plugs and switched put them in last Friday. Yes, I used anti-seize on the new ones. Was super easy to change. Runs great now with no cutting out.

This truck is a 2012 and have put a lot of miles on it. I keep thinking about getting a new truck but can't seem to part with this one. I have really enjoyed this truck and even with over 100K miles on it, I still love it. My next thing to do to it will be shocks, I can't help but think its time.

thenag

I will mention that to my dad and see if his 3.5l does any different. I would find it hard to believe that it would increase mpg, if Ford could say "premium fuel only" on the truck and that got them .5 mpg better they would do it for CAFE.

We have Fiesta with a 1.0L eco boost (I know not at all the same engine) we ran a few tanks of mid-grade and got no measurable difference in mpg, or noticable performance increase.

I know that my jeep manual says not to run anything but 87 octane, it actually points out that higher octane is not only a waste but may cause poor performance.

I joke with my Dad that in 6 years his truck will be my truck, 2015 3.5l crew cab. I keep saying to him "why didn't you buy me a truck with the tow command package?"

As usual on these things, do what the manufacture recommends.

Why buy shocks when you can just a buy an ecoboost Raptor!

On our Fiesta the volume knob on the dash does not work properly (part is back-ordered) and I keep telling my wife "well I guess we need to get a Focus RS", so I understand that thought ;)

Nathan

Last edited:

Pike2350

I will mention that to my dad and see if his 3.5l does any different. I would find it hard to believe that it would increase mpg, if Ford could say "premium fuel only" on the truck and that got them .5 mpg better they would do it for CAFE.

We have Fiesta with a 1.0L eco boost (I know not at all the same engine) we ran a few tanks of mid-grade and got no measurable difference in mpg, or noticable performance increase.

I know that my jeep manual says not to run anything but 87 octane, it actually points out that higher octane is not only a waste but may cause poor performance.

I joke with my Dad that in 6 years his truck will be my truck, 2015 3.5l crew cab. I keep saying to him "why didn't you buy me a truck with the tow command package?"

As usual on these things, do what the manufacture recommends.

Nathan

Well as of now it no longer seems to have much benefit. I've read about it working on F150 forums and tried it, and seemed to get better for a tank or so, then it was sort of back to where it was before. Now with winter fuel I'm getting more in the area of 16.2mpg with a decent amount of freeway driving.

As it sits now, with 6500 miles on my truck since I bought it I've averaged 15.9mpgs. That is with me towing 7500lbs down to Moab and back (getting about 11mpg) On average my screen registers about 16.5-16.6mpg, although the since replacing the spark plugs (when I reset the average mpg screen) with winter fuel I'm at the 16.1-16.3mpg. So I'd say don't waste your money....it doesn't really do much...at least not enough to pay for the increase in fuel cost.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Just wanted to chime in and see if people that are nicer to their engines are enjoying the same issues. Have any of you guys experienced decreased performance? My work mobile has just under 74k on it now and it seems to have lost a lot. I was towing a different work trailer the other day in a more normal environment. Not the typical 9k trailer up the canyon, which by the way if the ambient temp is above 70 my truck will overheat and go into limp mode within 3 miles of starting up the canyon.

Yesterday I was towing a different trailer, much smaller profile I would estimate between 4-5k. My truck is equipped with the 3:73 gear ratio and it wouldn't even hold 6th gear on I15 going over the gentle overpass grades. It also will no longer hold 6th gear going up parleys with no trailer, sometimes dropping to 4th at 70mph. It used to cruise up without issue in 6th.

Now I don't know what maintenance has actually been done. I've had check engine for numerous things, and the thing runs like crap on initial start up. I've asked for the spark plugs to be changed several times, but not sure if they ever have. The throttle body has had to be replaced, went on a tow truck for that one, muffler had to be replaced, and a broken exhaust manifold stud. All three of those have had to been done on almost all of our trucks, fuel pump is another ticking time bomb that a lot of my co-workers have had, mine hasn't yet.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Mine just crossed 70k and is flawless... I don't tow the 8K trailer any longer, but unloaded seems no different.

EB101

I've had two ecoboosts, neither went to really high miles. I'd definitely not be afraid to buy one again and would recommend them. The only issue I've seen with any of the 6 that between me, my son, and my son in law have owned and over 300,000 miles between them, is the trans went out twice after my son sold off his to a buddy (they still talk). The trans has a proven record and there's no guessing why that would have happened. My gas mileage on both went up after about 20k miles. I guess they finally got broke in. When I got rid of the 2nd one it had 14k miles towing my 24 foot box that goes almost 12k lbs and is a foot over height. Never ever had the temp go up or saw limp mode. The parts for them are cheep now there are so many on the road and they've been out for so many years. My first one had 3.73's and my second one had the higher ones, maybe ~3.30 or so. The steep gears were a waste having the torque curve so low. I landed on a sweet deal for a 6.7 f250 or I'd still be in the ecoboost with no fear.