EcoBoost

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
So I experienced big time power loss today. Was on my way to an emergency call in Little Cottonwood Canyon. Was about 7k elevation with my foot to the floor looking at my speedo and it wasn't going up. Thought huh that's odd.

After the call it was pointed out to me I had a dead rat hanging from my tailpipe. Turns out its the craptastic muffler again. Now I believe this problem is probably limited to the expeditions since they have a totally different exhaust from the cat back. Engines like to exhale, boosted engines like to exhale more. Its kind of hard for that to happen when the tailpipe is stuffed full of sound deadening material. This happened once before, and since my truck is no longer under warranty its not going to be fixed as its due to be replaced soon. I just get to have fun pulling giant balls of glass out of my tailpipe every time I stop for the next few weeks.

IMG_0519.JPG

rholbrook

When my Eco-Boost lost power it was a plug wire shorting out. I replaced the plugs and wires and all was good again. I am now at 139K miles and still flying. I have replaced an exhaust manifold that had cracked, replaced the front wheel bearings on both sides. One was making a noise so I had both replaced and then the plugs and wires. I believe that is all...actually, I had the passenger seat heater go out and had that fixed. It still runs strong. My wife has really been bugging me to get a new one. We have some friends that just bought a new one and she loves the changes to the body and trim.

Transmission stuff to note. Sometimes I will be driving it really slow and when it hunts for a gear, you will feel a big thump like you get ass ended. My last two Expeditions did it too. I would take it to the dealer and they would reset the computer and it would go away for a while. My truck does it sometimes as well and I just unplug the battery for a bit to reset it.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
That's a tick above the ram ecodiesel which is getting revamped. I also heard that Chevy will have a straight 6 diesel for the 1500 soon. Fun times!

rholbrook

Well, yesterday my truck got caught in the hail. It looks like someone took a ball peen hammer to it. I find out Monday what Allstate thinks it's worth to fix it. It's pretty bad. I may be in the market for a new truck

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Well, yesterday my truck got caught in the hail. It looks like someone took a ball peen hammer to it. I find out Monday what Allstate thinks it's worth to fix it. It's pretty bad. I may be in the market for a new truck

:( You really like that truck. That'll be a bummer to move on from. (might be a fun one to buy back from the insurance and build a desert cruiser with though? Thinking an aftermarket Raptor looking thing that could smoke the namesake? If you pass on buying it back, I'd be interested to know what the buy back is.)

Agility Customs

Vendor
My 3 series bmw got the same damage in sandy 2 months ago and the paintless dent repair quote was only about 4k and the car is barely worth 7500 bucks they didnt total it so your probably fine.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Sounds like we will be looking for a 2015/2016 Ecoboost as my wife's DD pretty soon! :D I've driven a couple of them, but my wife needs to spend some time behind the wheel and see if she really likes it. She wants something that feels pretty high-end, so we'll be looking for something with leather seats, etc. I want the bigger gas tank as well, but are they only available with the 6.5' bed? We need to make sure it'll fit in the garage, first! Looks like a SuperCrew with a 5.5' bed is what we need.

We'll replace both her current '98 Land Cruiser and my '02 Chevy 2500 HD with the F150. We want it to be an all around vehicle, tow the Jeep(s) on the weekend, get her to work & back during the week and eventually after we add a little lift and better tires, perhaps for an eventual trip to Baja and Canada/Alaska. I would love to set it up where we can tow the OUT Adventure Trailer on long roadtrips and comfortably camp with the truck.

Anyone have experience with the 2.7 Ecoboost verses the 3.5? Looks like the 2.7 makes 40 less HP & TQ, but probably slightly better mileage. I'd prefer the 3.5 for the towing performance. The 2.7l is also rated to tow 8,500#'s and the 3.5l is rated at 12.5k.

Pike2350

Sounds like we will be looking for a 2015/2016 Ecoboost as my wife's DD pretty soon! :D I've driven a couple of them, but my wife needs to spend some time behind the wheel and see if she really likes it. She wants something that feels pretty high-end, so we'll be looking for something with leather seats, etc. I want the bigger gas tank as well, but are they only available with the 6.5' bed? We need to make sure it'll fit in the garage, first! Looks like a SuperCrew with a 5.5' bed is what we need.

We'll replace both her current '98 Land Cruiser and my '02 Chevy 2500 HD with the F150. We want it to be an all around vehicle, tow the Jeep(s) on the weekend, get her to work & back during the week and eventually after we add a little lift and better tires, perhaps for an eventual trip to Baja and Canada/Alaska. I would love to set it up where we can tow the OUT Adventure Trailer on long roadtrips and comfortably camp with the truck.

Anyone have experience with the 2.7 Ecoboost verses the 3.5? Looks like the 2.7 makes 40 less HP & TQ, but probably slightly better mileage. I'd prefer the 3.5 for the towing performance. The 2.7l is also rated to tow 8,500#'s and the 3.5l is rated at 12.5k.
Sounds like a good choice. I don't know anout the '15+ but my '12 CC EB FX4 has the 36 gal tank with the 5.5' bed. I love the truck...fully loaded it's comfortable and had all the creature comforts.

I know the 2.7 gets better mpg by around 2....but other than my wife's uncle I don't know anyone with it. I will day say dealers were making huge deals on the new 2.7L list year. I've also heard his things about the '18 and the 10 speed trans. Considering price of used trucks it might be worth looking at a year end close out.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor

As you know, I had a 2015 F150 Ecoboost Platinum, 5.5'ft bed, big tank. Had it for 2 years, 35k miles.

Pros:
Light aluminum body, No rust issues.
Nice(arguably the best) tech inside
Quiet and easy to drive
Fast and responsive for a Pickup
City/hwy Avg MPG was 17.5

Cons:
Its LIGHT... made towing heavy things always feel flighty
3.5 Turbo is ALWAYS on boost when towing, even an OUT, resulting in single digit fuel mileage.
Soft suspension would bottom out on I70 going across Utah.
It was at the dealer for repairs a lot...usually minor stuff, but multiple trips for the same little problem gets old.

At the end, I traded it in on a 2018 Toyota Tundra.... yes, traded it and took the hit. I didnt want to privately sell that truck with the problems Ford never fixed.