EcoBoost

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Nice truck Greg.

For those keeping tabs on my ecoboost saga, at 78k needed a water pump. Nothing else since last update. Rumor is I have a new one coming sometime in December. Interested to see how they do with the 10 speed and revised injection system.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Well the '15 is now gone. 82.5k I never realized how much crap I have in my truck until I had to empty it to turn in. After seeing how much weight I pulled out it probably has something to do with my somewhat crappy mileage. But all told, no lifetime total. But one of my trip meters hadn't been reset for almost 1000 hours of runtime and showed an average of just under 14mpg. Considering the terrain I drive and the amount of time idling thats really not that bad.

I have to say after I emptied it, it did seem to have a bit more pep and the the suspension didn't feel so squishy :rofl:

Look forward to testing the new gen ecoboost with the 10 speed even if it is only for a few months before I leave. Be good research because it will probably be the generation I'll be looking at in a few years when it's time for a new truck.

rholbrook

Update on my Eco-Boost. I now have 146K miles and I got a low oil pressure warning light and chime when I come to an idle. I checked the oil and it was low. I think I have a leaky turbo seal. Now the fun of trying to figure out which turbo. Any ideas?

Caleb

I’ve thought a lot about a pedal commander. Hoping it would help the issue I e had my truck in to the dealer many times for (sluggish hesitation on acceleration). I’ve also thought about just getting a good tune since most good ones also reprogram the tranny.

rholbrook

Update to my low oil pressure. My BIL who owns Lodder Auto in Bountiful told me to swap out my Oil Pressure Switch first. So far so good, hopefully that fixed it. He said these EcoBoosts are pretty bullet proof and most of the time he replaces timing cover gaskets. He did replace a turbo on one last week but it had way more miles than mine has. Fingers Crossed for me, a $14 part is way better than a $600 part.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
19' ecoboost in hand, only about 500 miles on it so far. New motor = good, New transmission = jury is still out. More to come after some more miles

Build quality on the new expeditions = really good. Way ahead of last generation as far as this goes

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Okay so just a bit over 1k miles on it now, not a ton but I can give some feedback.

Motor is much of the same, can't really feel any additional power. A performance "test" next to a 2016 with over 100k yielded pretty much the same results. I can't confirm for sure if they are setup the same as the build sheet in the new one is missing in action so I'm not sure what gears it has.

I've towed with it twice, once was 8500ish lbs up Little Cottonwood which is a pretty decent test I think. New transmission helps a lot with towing up the steep grade. Before I would spend most of the climb near max RPM in 2nd gear, it would try to go to third but was too much of a gap to hold it. New transmission is able to keep the motor in the butter zone. It shifts more like a diesel about every 500-700 rpm. The truck would pull the load as fast as I was willing to go throughout the canyon, more of a bottomless feeling pedal with that load than the older gen. One thing that scares me is how much the trans temp went up. It was 16 degrees outside and I saw almost a 50 degree increase in temp up to the white pine turn out (peaked at 238 degrees).

Now more on the transmission, when I first was driving it around I hated it. I thought the management was piss poor. It was shifting hard, shifting all the time and driving me bonkers. It seems it maybe just needed a little break in time? It is shifting much smoother now, and not nearly as noticeable when it does. It still shifts a lot.... and doesn't jump gears as much as I thought it would and the shifts are more noticeable when it does jump. The engine has enough power I think they could have easily gotten away with an 8 speed and shared near same performance. But hey Dodge has 8 so Ford has to have 10 right?

All in all if I were to buy one I'm not sure what I would do. The 10 speed still drives me nuts around town, but it works really well for towing. I'm going to go drive my fathers new Ram with the 5.7 and 8 speed so I can do a quasi comparison.

Edit: Almost forgot, as of right now seeing about .5 mpg less than the old one. I'm sure it will get better as it took about 10k on the old one before the mpg went up a bit.

Last edited:

4x4_Welder

I rented a 5.0 with the 10 speed a couple weeks ago, and found the eco mode to give way more linear operation with regards to easing onto the throttle and transmission shift points. It would shift softer, and skip a lot.

Caleb

I think they have a ways to go on the 10 speed. However, as mentioned, put it in any other program and it seems like it smooths it out a ton.

I do, quite often, see it skipping gears.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have joined the EcoBoost family. I mentioned in my Cummins rebuild thread that I sold my dually. Well I downsized the fleet a little more and we traded in my wife's '18 Durrango R/T.......a vehicle I have really enjoyed.
poDM.jpg

I have been missing my '14 Raptor that had the 6.2L in it. I jokingly tell people that I upgraded it when I traded it in for a Dodge Promaster van. It was what made sense for us and the traveling we were doing for racing......
most of all I didn't a payment on the van. Well I
......I mean my wife is back into a Raptor.

pNoz.jpg

Not a fan of the wheels so a set of black Fuels will go on it next week.

Coco

Verrrry nice! I have loved my EB - lots of miles on it (an engine is around 3500-4500 on car part, and is still cheaper than a car payment if/when that time comes), but it still runs like a top, I own it, and it pulled my SXS to and from Sand Hollow this weekend with ease. MPGs were about the same as my 5.0 was when towing, but having the power was very nice. I plan to keep this truck for the long haul, and just tweak and make it mine.

I didn't know this thread was here prior to buying the truck. I got the truck and put an AFE dry filter intake on it, and a MBRP 4" (Yuge, I know) cat back exhaust on it. Really woke it up and gave it a bit of grunt as well. I would like to do some other mild things here and there to squeeze more out of it, but I will read back through this thread and see what other things I can do.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Who has the highest mileage ecoturd? Need to find a vehicle ASAP for the SLC crib. Looking at *150's can't decide between a 5.0 and an ecoturd. Stuff in the 150k+ miles range only stuff in budget.

Any issues at higher miles?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Who has the highest mileage ecoturd? Need to find a vehicle ASAP for the SLC crib. Looking at *150's can't decide between a 5.0 and an ecoturd. Stuff in the 150k+ miles range only stuff in budget.

I can't speak for the Eco.. but I have had 3 v8's. One went well over 300k (4.6) , one is currently at 260k (5.4). and I sold the other around 220K (May have been a 5.4).

Coco

Update on my Eco-Boost. I now have 146K miles and I got a low oil pressure warning light and chime when I come to an idle. I checked the oil and it was low. I think I have a leaky turbo seal. Now the fun of trying to figure out which turbo. Any ideas?

Update to my low oil pressure. My BIL who owns Lodder Auto in Bountiful told me to swap out my Oil Pressure Switch first. So far so good, hopefully that fixed it. He said these EcoBoosts are pretty bullet proof and most of the time he replaces timing cover gaskets. He did replace a turbo on one last week but it had way more miles than mine has. Fingers Crossed for me, a $14 part is way better than a $600 part.
Interesting, I had this same issue on mine right after buying it. When I bought it I had no issues of this whatsoever, but being a GDI engine, I did a 4 part fuel system and top engine cleaning, as well as a restoration kit (all products of Valvoline). It wasn't until shortly after that I started getting this message. After doing a lot of research, I was nervous because it seemed to be a known issue, with not so good or known fixes. I decided I wanted to start with the simple/obvious thing, and replaced the switch and crossed my fingers. Still did it for about a week after. Then noticed after doing more research, it could be something as simple as a dirty throttle body causing this issue. Thinking back, this made complete sense, as part of the fuel system cleaning is shooting the vapor cleaner into the intake system. I let it ride for a few more days thinking that may have been the issue, and it stopped giving me the warning, and all is well once again. That was a frustrating time though, I will admit that.

Mine has 202k on it (2013 FX4) and is running like a champ! Bought it for $10,900, and I sold my 2011 XLT 5.0 that had 160k for $14,200. For me, I won't go back to the 5.0. My buddies EB is at or close to 200k and still running strong as well.

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Interesting, I had this same issue on mine right after buying it. When I bought it I had no issues of this whatsoever, but being a GDI engine, I did a 4 part fuel system and top engine cleaning, as well as a restoration kit (all products of Valvoline). It wasn't until shortly after that I started getting this message. After doing a lot of research, I was nervous because it seemed to be a known issue, with not so good or known fixes. I decided I wanted to start with the simple/obvious thing, and replaced the switch and crossed my fingers. Still did it for about a week after. Then noticed after doing more research, it could be something as simple as a dirty throttle body causing this issue. Thinking back, this made complete sense, as part of the fuel system cleaning is shooting the vapor cleaner into the intake system. I let it ride for a few more days thinking that may have been the issue, and it stopped giving me the warning, and all is well once again. That was a frustrating time though, I will admit that.

Mine has 202k on it (2013 FX4) and is running like a champ! Bought it for $10,900, and I sold my 2011 XLT 5.0 that had 160k for $14,200. For me, I won't go back to the 5.0. My buddies EB is at or close to 200k and still running strong as well.

Wish I could find one for $10.9 prices are stupid right now. Trying to negotiate down a 5.0 right now. Drove a ecoturd with 170k on it this morning. Missed like crazy on start up was not smooth on acceleration and passenger turbo was whining..... passed on that one.

Coco

That is crazy that they have gone up that much in such a short time. I found and bought mine in October.