EcoBoost

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Have you guys seen the videos of folks drilling small holes in their intercoolers to drain the oil and water residue?

Corban_White

Have you guys seen the videos of folks drilling small holes in their intercoolers to drain the oil and water residue?
Yes. I haven't done it, I just try and use sustained full throttle several times each day to increase the velocity through the intercooler thus (hopefully) pulling the condensation into the engine before it can build up and cause an issue.

4x4_Welder

I’d recommend OE as well just watch out for fakes. Same packaging, same look, same box etc but not what you think it is. I’m seeing it all over the PSD boards lately with glow plugs and I think I might have installed some counterfeit ones in mine 😣.

Just a heads up in case you don’t already know.

I've been having to replace plugs at work, there was a batch of counterfeit or defective spark plugs supplied by the distribution center a while back. They would lose the center electrode in a few hundred to a few thousand miles. I've pulled whole sets out that had the center electrode eroded way back into the plug.
One way to spot a fake is the ground electrode, the genuine ones have a little dot of platinum, while the fakes do not.IMG_20210722_183320.jpg

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Has anyone kept an EB through the 120-150k mileage range? My son sold his truck yesterday and has been looking at EB’s. A good friend of mine who owns a shop has told me that turbo issues occur in that mileage range. He also said due to the fact that if one has gone the other is not far behind they always recommend doing both. When doing this it usually involves cats manifolds and a few other parts. A repair he says usually runs around 5k.

I know some people will say he is over doing the job but his approach is part of this job is repair and we should do preventative while we are in here since the cab has to come off.

Anyway, what real life experience has anybody had? This will greatly impact what we look at for him since he has about 32k to spend on a truck.

Corban_White

Mine has ~135,000. It has struggled with the overheating while towing heavy issue previously discussed (still trying to resolve) and has developed (I believe anyway, unverified as yet) a leak at the pass exhaust manifold. Whistles under acceleration until the exhaust gets warm. And I changed out the front wheel bearings the other day. Other than that it's been great.

Pike2350

I am at 123k right now and have no issues so far. I do plan on getting the 120k service soon since I have done nothing outside of oul changes, brakes and the recommended spark plugs since owning it the past 85-90k. The complexity of the engine and turbos are the reasons I want to take it to a shop for the service. Hopefully I can get a get a better idea of the condition of the turbos after that.

Coco

Mine when I sold it had 213K on it. I bought it at 198K. I wasn't sure if those were previously taken care of, but our shop has replaced a couple turbos on these. Not a ton, but maybe 3-5 trucks in that mileage range. I personally think a lot of it still has to do with regular maintenance, and how they are driven.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
In our Expedition we've got a very growly sounding drivers front wheel. (at least it sounds like its the front wheel) It has gotten progressively worse. It's usually starts from a dead stop, and then will go away at about 20-30 mph. It also goes away when it's warm outside, and gets WAAAAY worse when it's freezing. Engine temp, brake temp, long drive, and short drive don't seem to change the sound. Just outside temps.

It's not a typical bearing sound. It's sounds exactly like when driving in circles on pavement in 4x4. A low growly rur rur rur, with almost a clutchy sound. Increases with wheel speed. Does not go away if turning side to side.

Thoughts on what it might be. I'd love for it just to be a hub assembly.. but that doesn't seem right to me.

J Kimmel

In our Expedition we've got a very growly sounding drivers front wheel. (at least it sounds like its the front wheel) It has gotten progressively worse. It's usually starts from a dead stop, and then will go away at about 20-30 mph. It also goes away when it's warm outside, and gets WAAAAY worse when it's freezing. Engine temp, brake temp, long drive, and short drive don't seem to change the sound. Just outside temps.

It's not a typical bearing sound. It's sounds exactly like when driving in circles on pavement in 4x4. A low growly rur rur rur, with almost a clutchy sound. Increases with wheel speed. Does not go away if turning side to side.

Thoughts on what it might be. I'd love for it just to be a hub assembly.. but that doesn't seem right to me.
IWE

It’s common

Corban_White

Mine was making that exact noise. I thought it was coming from the passenger side. Then it started to get really loud on the drivers side and the ABS and VSC would fault. I replaced both hub assemblies. The drivers side was almost completely seized. Solved all the issues. Very easy job.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Mine has developed a stutter under hard.. Or even medium throttle. Getting up to freeway speed on a short on ramp is tough and passing on the freeway is basically a no go. My tuner shows misfire on cylinder 2... Occasionally cylinder 1 and two. I had plugs done last spring and it was doing it just barely before (like you had to punch it to get it to stutter) then went away after plugs. Now it's back and worse.

I need to check for fouled plugs or try swapping the ignition coil pack thing from one to another to see if it changes the cylinder that's misfiring. Hoping I'll have time this fall to get to it ha ha

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Mine has developed a stutter under hard.. Or even medium throttle. Getting up to freeway speed on a short on ramp is tough and passing on the freeway is basically a no go. My tuner shows misfire on cylinder 2... Occasionally cylinder 1 and two. I had plugs done last spring and it was doing it just barely before (like you had to punch it to get it to stutter) then went away after plugs. Now it's back and worse.

I need to check for fouled plugs or try swapping the ignition coil pack thing from one to another to see if it changes the cylinder that's misfiring. Hoping I'll have time this fall to get to it ha ha
Ours would do similar, but then go into limp mode. swapped a coil pack to verify, and then replaced. Pretty quick. In fact, the wife replaced it, not me.

1646841718107.png

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin

I had two coils go bad that caused a major stutter while towing back from Moab last fall. Had them replaced and she's good as new.

I also think that the EGR with the turbos causes extra oil vapor to kill the sparkplugs faster. I've seen catch can kits but I just don't know if they are worth it.

Coco

I had two coils go bad that caused a major stutter while towing back from Moab last fall. Had them replaced and she's good as new.

I also think that the EGR with the turbos causes extra oil vapor to kill the sparkplugs faster. I've seen catch can kits but I just don't know if they are worth it.
This. There is companies that are making catch cans to go in-line on the PCV for this exact reason. My next ecoboost I will be investing in one.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Mine has ~135,000. It has struggled with the overheating while towing heavy issue previously discussed (still trying to resolve) and has developed (I believe anyway, unverified as yet) a leak at the pass exhaust manifold. Whistles under acceleration until the exhaust gets warm. And I changed out the front wheel bearings the other day. Other than that it's been great.
We just replaced manifolds on my mil's eb. The rear runners only have on bolt that was broken on both sides. I think she has 100k miles and hers is a 17?
Sounds like it's pretty common.

rholbrook

We just replaced manifolds on my mil's eb. The rear runners only have on bolt that was broken on both sides. I think she has 100k miles and hers is a 17?
Sounds like it's pretty common.
Its way common. I put three on my 2012 that had 195K miles on it before I sold it. That was really the only thing I had issues with. They hang that turbo off the back of the manifold with only one bolt on it. They have fixed the problem on the newer ones. I don't know what year but my 2022 has two bolts on the rear.