Shop / Tools Effing washing machine that don't.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
We have some front loader LG's probably pushing 10 years old now no complaints on the washer. Cleans stuff really well and can wash a ton at a time.

It replaced an old top load from i'm guessing the 60's I inherited from my grandparents. I was bummed when that washer died it did a great job.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
The new washers like anything else doesn’t last like they used to. Like I said my damn middle of the road GE died just after the wareenty expired.

My parents washer and drier just died last year. Think they were over 40 year old.

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
Our GE took a shit 4 years about we bought it. Got a higher end LG top loader and it’s been great. Takes a king sized comforter fairly well. Other than a washer cleaning pack every few months it’s been rock solid. Been using what ever HE liquid soap Costco has on sale. Only thing is that grease stains don’t always come out. Spray and wash spot treat before running the cycle gets 99% of them out.
Does your LG have the agitator?

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Yea works great. I think my old washer was better at getting "chunks" off of the clothes like food that needed to be floated away if that makes any sense. With the new style, they use less water so the bigger things stay trapped in between the clothes. Of course you should remove the chunks but with kids sometimes you miss them.

Troop92

Apparently, the impeller style is more gentle on your clothes, particularly more delicate fabrics. BUT IF YOUR CLOTHES HAVE A SPINE LIKE ANY REAL AMERICAN'S DOUBLE FRONT DENIM CARHART'S DO, YOU NEED A DAMN BOAT PROP IN YOUR WASHER! You know, to agitate things properly. Denim is too stiff and unyielding for the wispy washing style...

We just purchased a house, and the previous owner left the washer/ dryer, want me to send you washer specs?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
We bought LG front loaders a year ago and are happy with them.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LG-4-5-cu-...ront-Load-Washer-White-ENERGY-STAR/1000533895

When we moved into my parents house and started doing laundry this spring with what they had it wasn't working. Top loader that never filled up with enough water to get everything wet. We swapped out their washer for ours and kept truckin. My wife would have to do like half loads with my moms washer and she still didn't feel like they were getting clean. I didn't know there was a sensor that could be adjusted. My mom said he had been filling pitchers of water and dumping them in but finally just gave up and did real small loads. They are samsungs I think and they bought them because consumer reports said they were good, my dad lives and dies by that magazine.

pELYgroso

'Merica
So, following the advice of many of you, we found and bought what i think will be a good bought W/D set this weekend and I just finished getting them all hooked up. We went looking for a large capacity top loader with agitator and "deep water" mode and we settled on a pair of maytags that have all the features we wanted for a good black Friday deal. We have it running for the first time right now and it looks to be doing a good job. We loaded it up with a load that would have maxed out our old washer and it was probably 60% full. Its currently on "auto sense" water mode, and while its not completely full over the top of the clothes, I can see the water line near the top and its effectively cycling the clothes from the bottom to the top of the heap. There will definitely not be any items that don't get soaked and cleaned. Time will tell whether or not it was a good purchase.

[Edit] as i was typing this, my wife said, that drain cycle sure is loud! As soon as she said that I realized that i forgot to install the drain tube. I rushed into the laundry room to exactly what I expected. Water shooting out the back of the washer. Long story short, we shut it off and cleaned it up and its currently purring through another spin cycle.