EJS 2021 is ON

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We're gonna try and run down for the first weekend through Monday. Still working out lodging.

The cool kids are on Hells Revenge for first Sat. Somehow I get to hang out with them. Other cool kids are on Fins and Things (my son Eric is on that trail three times for EJS--2 volunteer assignments)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The cool kids are on Hells Revenge for first Sat. Somehow I get to hang out with them. Other cool kids are on Fins and Things (my son Eric is on that trail three times for EJS--2 volunteer assignments)
32266C2B-50E7-421D-B5F5-307236A0C670.jpeg

We booked two trails. I haven't done either before. Looks like Metal Masher is with you?

mbryson

Supporting Member
We preran Metal Masher a couple weeks ago. Myself, Dempsey (@TurboMinivan ), Brett Davis (@Maverick ) and a Davis to be named later (Matt) are your trail leaders with Brett as the actual trail leader. Should be a fun day. I "think" we can be at the rim/overlook at about 12:30-1 pm depending on Rock Chucker participation. Kind of a rough road from there to Widow Maker (that's not "really" part of the EJS trail but we'll let those that want to try it, try it {time dependent}) but cool views. Hopefully at Mother-in-law hill about 3-4 pm which is the official end of the trail.

We have options from there. I like to head west to the highway (313?) that runs up to Dead Horse Point. You can head north then east on the highway back to 313/191 junction (Dinosaur expo thing), south to Dead Horse or south and then east down Long Canyon to Potash Rd (likely my route) and back to Moab.

y4mjQCjxYIO6mEqUSgnS300qbhx-TI1fY_pJu0IOuYH_TwTN3z-9lC7kEXFffXpAX6AOxhwvYwAZ9KuaTj4nIsHpZcbqrnJIaMXaUyKqzWVOzM_HkR3ghZqMH8tjtTxykL57hOXmssu3kghZFpoUpQA4G_oE9sd1tQVEwJzDoDrjvv1ZT4UxC_K2ZPoX-ScxNCb

y4mFq9xH9GQFWlMeQiR5nCxxREVYYb066vqQF2RmuJgO89mWq1Ob6cYDcq78VII_ug6ZlF9YAf5k0bC9IEMbcM5uUHHo2n1Kb6UuGR1XWBaeFSUf3NXAAJd2c3r4WpFHiktixGRHLgJfMUAwDLPMgmqhFttDsapKXOEP8Xmwr_lL4JHazqIDjOXyu6HGAALvQgQ

Possible lunch spot but it's kind of early in the trail for that.

y4ms4hZBzNi2LvueIkuiQUNbS3lwnNAIqyaQR6vZFV2vhCR8auKrkIU0k-k67ESUlHH_iHE_esIGWBONuTYiZHS0bUKMx3S3YYhj1sy14EWgsB_YEnNBJXj4vxpgTDkYFIOTwCynU8OhXzqzoeuc0nYUKfnhwzV0rG_4cixiMIhWwmq5wCzUFd5p4VJYSSO-DQy

Cool view from looking north from the rim towards GJ/CO (GJ would be WAY on the right side)

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Is the CB still required? I'm gonna have HAM listening capabilities by then.

I do believe it's strongly recommended. Mine is tuned within an inch of it's 4 watt life and it MIGHT get a mile or two on good days. It'd be nice if the CB worked like it did on Smokey and the Bandit :D. That'd take a few more watts? The other issue with CB is the folks that broadcast with LOTS of watts from wherever that just blast their drivel endlessly every day. Even with the squelch down, you really can't tune their voices out and it makes our trail communication over CB pretty worthless. CB is recommended by RR4W so we try to support it but sometimes you just can't due to conditions/interference.

Brett will have 2m, Dempsey as well as myself. For a lead and a tail gunner, the 2m is ideal. 5 watts on 146.520 can go over 60 miles or so in our experience.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I do believe it's strongly recommended. Mine is tuned within an inch of it's 4 watt life and it MIGHT get a mile or two on good days. It'd be nice if the CB worked like it did on Smokey and the Bandit :D. That'd take a few more watts? The other issue with CB is the folks that broadcast with LOTS of watts from wherever that just blast their drivel endlessly every day. Even with the squelch down, you really can't tune their voices out and it makes our trail communication over CB pretty worthless. CB is recommended by RR4W so we try to support it but sometimes you just can't due to conditions/interference.

Brett will have 2m, Dempsey as well as myself. For a lead and a tail gunner, the 2m is ideal. 5 watts on 146.520 can go over 60 miles or so in our experience.
The compounding issue is with atmospheric skip. We're nearing another sun cycle peak, so it will be bad.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
My schedule:

Sunday: Buttes & Towers as a tourist
Monday: gun Metal Masher
Tuesday: gun Steel Bender
Wednesday: gun Day Canyon Point
Thursday: gun 7 Mile Rim
Friday: still open at this point, though I may see if someone I know running Pritchet has an empty seat

A lot of us will be on a 2m frequency that we'd let folks that have a HAM know about.

I tail gun Steel Bender with Gil Mecham every year (on Tuesday at 8am). We've come up with a nifty strategy. The other gunners don't have ham radios, so Gil and I choose a specific simplex 2m frequency to use as our private communication channel during the run. This keeps me in contact with him all day long (when CB can't accomplish that), plus we can say/discuss things without the group at large hearing us (though we can still simultaneously monitor group chat on CBs). It's kinda handy at times.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Behind Pritchett, Metal Masher is my 2nd favorite jeep safari trail in Moab.
Good trail, fun obstacles, beautiful views. What Moab should be. 😎

Every time I am on it I am still amazed in 1997 I drove that trail, minus rock chucker, in a 1965 80” WB cj5 with 31”s. 😳

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
My trails are the Pickle on the first Saturday, Behind the Rocks on Thursday, Steel Bender on Friday and Metal Masher on Big Saturday. I'm gunning on all 4 trails. May possibly be drafted to gun other trails by Ron Brewer if other leaders have breakdowns or other issues. Hope to see you there. Traffic coming into Moab was backed up for about an hour coming from Crescent Junction on Friday. so expect really long delays.

Bart

WARNING! If I see you at EJS please don't be offended if I keep my distance. I broke 4 ribs and punctured a lung a couple of weeks ago and don't want to risk any contact. My wife is not thrilled that I'm still going and we'll see if I can make it the whole week. Now back to your regularly scheduled reading.