EJS no longer to be at Easter?

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
The article finally came out in tonights local paper & is available on line http://www.moabtimes.com/artman/publish/article_296.shtml . I've been hearing rumours about the possibility of the date changing for a long time, now it's confirmed that it is very seriously being considered.

I for one hope they do change the date. It will be a big improvement overall & help seperate the trouble makers from the Jeep safari participants in the eyes of the public.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Rick B said:
The article finally came out in tonights local paper & is available on line http://www.moabtimes.com/artman/publish/article_296.shtml . I've been hearing rumours about the possibility of the date changing for a long time, now it's confirmed that it is very seriously being considered.

I for one hope they do change the date. It will be a big improvement overall & help seperate the trouble makers from the Jeep safari participants in the eyes of the public.

Wow, I might even show for that Jeep Safari. There's just too many 'trouble makers' to make it interesting at all for traditional EJS.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Yup, I welcome the change too. Hopefully it will seperate the wheelers from the partyers. Or maybe it'll just get some of the partyers to go somewhere that isn't Moab.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
well im all for getting rid of all the "trouble makers" i personally (as would most any true fourwheeler) go to jeep safari for a simple reason, to have fun rock crawling. i dont go for the beer, or the boobs, i go to meet new people, check out other peoples rigs and see their ideas, and their creations. i go to have a good time. so it sounds like a great idea move jeep safari to a differant date when all the punks are in school, but i have to say that this sucks for me, cause well i guess that means me too, i am 17 years old and i can honestly say that i try my hardest to not be a "trouble maker". i go to mini moab quite a bit with my freinds and we all do our part to clean up and take care of it.

but also while i was in moab for jeep safari i noticed something. it wasnt just the kids that were the punks, (haha they are to young to get beer) i nearly got creamed by some guy (had to have been at least 30) that was in a jeep that looked pretty freshly rolled and in the back of it he had enough beer to get an army drunk me and my freinds laughed cause when he tried to flex out on his buddys tire he simply ran into the side of his jeep
so i just think that its not gonna help much, it might a little, but youll never be able to get rid of them all
just my opinion, thanks

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
A date change has been something we have been mulling over for a long time now. It's not an easy decision... we're talking 38 years of tradition here! There are definate pros and cons, and no one knows for sure if it will work or not. Our hope is that by moving it, we can provide a better event for our participants as well as the community, and ultimately help keep our trails open.

So far, the BLM and the community seem to support the idea. Our associate members (the out-of area members that we rely on so heavily for trail officials) also have supported the idea (a survey we conducted a couple years ago showed over 80% approval). The local club members, however, are deeply split...

We still have a lot of work to do to make this happen, and it is not a "sure thing". Whatever happens, we need to get back some control over the town and the trails during Safari, or we are destined to eventually lose it altogether.

Jeff Stevens
RR4W

trpl xj

I think this is an excellent idea. The last couple of years haven't even been that fun, too damn many trouble makers. I really don't care when it is, just as long as it doesn't fall on spring break. If it wasn't for the fact that my fee's go to the RR 4 wheelers to help keep our trails open, I wouldn't go, just too many people, and too much trouble.

JoeT

Just yesterday I talked to a Moab travel counsel about this. He needed some color maps of his land for where people where camping.He owns the mesa that the Steelbender trail goes around. Seems that Red Rock 4Wheelers are whining about it. Sounds like a great idea, they need to get rid of all the Daytona Beach type people.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Someone posted earlier about his reasons for going to EJS. Meeting new people, checking out cool rigs, supporting the RR4W. These are primary reasons I like EJS. I can see where it is a tough decision to change it from the Easter weekend, but the town and trails do really get crowded, and in more than one instance, non registered trail riders have caused problems on a trail that I have run as a registered rider. People come from all over the country to participate in this event, and for someone to race ahead and come around to an obstacle the back way, only to have a major break on that obstacle (thus increasing the amount of time the EJS run takes to get through that obstacle), is really pretty crappy. I would still participate in the RR4W Jeep Safari regardless of what week it was run.
I don't mind the crowds during that time, but I do mind the trouble makers and antics of some of the less mature visitors.

StrobeNGH

no user title
Something will still happen on easter weekend, maybe just not geared as much at our crowd. Moab still needs the 'troublemakers' to help support the local economy. This is probably just a step to creating new events and infusing more capital into their economy.
It's a pretty good idea from all points of view.

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
I will have to disagree that Moab needs the trouble makers, no place does. They cost this town far more than it makes from them. Most people who don't live here don't have any idea what the actual cost of the Jeep Safari is for Moab, they just think the town is rolling in money after it's all over with.

There may still be people showing up during Easter, but I'll bet that most of them won't come back after they are dealt with more severly by the local law enforcement.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Rick B said:
There may still be people showing up during Easter, but I'll bet that most of them won't come back after they are dealt with more severly by the local law enforcement.

Good riddance. Don't come back!

EZ

theferg

DD for Life
Sounds like a pretty good idea. But I'm gonna bet it will still be outta hand during Easter. But, like has been mentioned, might get the so-called trouble makers seperated from the non-toruble-makers. But with so many people interested in the Jeep Safari, it's possible that the same thing (on the new date) could still become out of hand in a few years...

Anyway, the only thing I'd really like to suggest is that everyone remembers that the Jeep Safari is not the only thing that goes on down there. A lot of other groups (4WD groups, bike groups, marathons, etc, etc) plan around the Jeep Safari as always being on Easter weekend and have also done so for many many years. Would sure hate to see one group step on another groups toes...

-Ferg-

Last edited:

Sissio18

No! bad idea! I think changing the date is a selfish attempt to have the obsessive 4hweelers suck the fun out of absolutely everything. In my opinion, by changing the date to achieve a "more serious" 4wheeling outing, youre taking away tradition and the whole reason half the people show up for. Its not supposed to be some huge serious sheltered experience. People go to get drunk, laugh, and have an absolute blast. I was there last year, and the biggest impression i got was people having the time of their lives, but obviously kicking back and havin a blast isnt what should be going on over a TRADITIONAL 4WHEELING HOLIDAY. Apparently we're supposed to sit back and let the "serious" 4hweelers have complete decision and take over the point of the whole safari experience and turn it into some dull, bland event. Since when did we all start turning into our mothers? Everyone looks forward to easter, because its jeep safari! thats the way most 4wheeling admirers look forward to. So change the date, and watch the holiday be something so ridiculously dull that even the local paper wont show up for, let alone half the jeep safari population. If you want a restricted serious 4wheeling expedition, build a dirt mound in your backyard, invite over some buddies, and have a beer or two. Be careful...dont let things get TOO wild...