Electric hookups

moabjeeper

Man Down!!!!
What is the best way to wire off-road lights and a CB. I was just running my off-road lights right to the battery. I need to rewire them cause they are not working right now. I also am hooking up a cb. How do you suggest I wire them back up?

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
get a fuse block from checker about $5. then run power to it, put about a 20 or 30A fuse in it. then go to the switch, then lights, then a good ground. Some people will put a relay in line, but I don't think it's necessary unless you're running some expensive or specialty lights.

xjc

I give up :(
Just peeping in on the conversation, I have been faced with this kind of situation many times as well. I didn't realize you could buy a fuze box. That's a great idea. The thing you mentioned that I realy like is the relay. I am not sure what kind of relay you are talking about but I am assuming it is one that will shut down the circuit when the key is turned off. Is that the case?

Thanks for the great tip.:cool:

ErikS

Just as a tip, the reason for the relay is because most switches won't handle the power the lights will consume and start fire. That is why you hear a relay click when you turn on your headlights. So you wire the switch to control the relay that in turn controls the lights. You can hook the 12v+ that goes to the switch to an accessory power(only on when key on) , but then you can't turn the lights on without the key to say, set up camp. You can get a kit for it with the relay,switch and wire for usually less than $20-25 or if you know what you need you can buy parts separtely for under $10.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
That's why you just make sure to buy a switch rated to handle the amperage of the lights you'll be running on it. It's alot easier and cheaper :D:D

moabjeeper

Man Down!!!!
So that is what happened to my switch. I was in moab and the switch craped out on me and didnt work. Sounds like some rewiring is in the works. Thanks for the info guys