Elk in the Uintas

Moabxjeeper

Hey folks,

Me and my dad have done pretty good on the spike hunts the last couple years and decided to try something new this year. We ended up going with any bull tags. I know one of the best units is up in the Uintas but I honestly don't know the area too well.

Anyone have any general area on where to try that might produce results? What should we expect hunting up there for the rifle hunt in October? Is it even worth our time to check it out?

Any hints at all would be greatly appreciated. It's such a huge area and pretty new to the both of us so even having a place to start would be awesome!

Thanks guys

hedonist

Supporting Member
I've hunted Elk up there. We had the best luck below Flaming Gorge in the Bowns reservoir area. That being said, Expect some pretty hard hunting as it is thick and they stay in the thick stuff.I personaly (or the folks that hunt with me) have never seen a lot of animals. but have seen Elk.
Also had decent luck in the blacks fork river area. Again, plan on long hikes and hard hunting. Just my experience. Hope it helps. The weather will vary dramatically. From hot sunny days to 3ft of snow. Plan accordingly
Good luck!

Moabxjeeper

I've hunted Elk up there. We had the best luck below Flaming Gorge in the Bowns reservoir area. That being said, Expect some pretty hard hunting as it is thick and they stay in the thick stuff.I personaly (or the folks that hunt with me) have never seen a lot of animals. but have seen Elk.
Also had decent luck in the blacks fork river area. Again, plan on long hikes and hard hunting. Just my experience. Hope it helps. The weather will vary dramatically. From hot sunny days to 3ft of snow. Plan accordingly
Good luck!

Thanks a bunch man! I'll keep all that in mind for sure. We're definitely no strangers to a hard hike as long as it pays off :D

Moabxjeeper

Well, elk hunt starts tomorrow! We got another place picked out for the opener but may hit up the Uintas next weekend depending on how we do. Not expecting to see astounding numbers of elk by any means (although I wouldn't complain if we did) but just to have the chance at one would be awesome.

Good luck to all those headed out tomorrow and hello to the 100+ lurkers that have viewed this post so far ;)

chicken77

throttle jockey
I hunted the Uintas this year just like the past 9 years, and finally became one of the 12% of successful hunters. It is a very hard hunt and I feel very fortunate to have taken a bull. Plan on hiking a lot and always be ready with your firearm, they will show up when you least expect it.

UFAB

Definitely hard hunting if you compete with all the atv hunters. Primitive lands are where it's at.

Bagged this general elk all by myself by Elizabeth ridge.

uploadfromtaptalk1412865491156.jpg

chicken77

throttle jockey
And a few years of getting to know an area. I have hunted open bull for around nine years now and this was my first bull.

Moabxjeeper

Well, we spent all weekend getting up in the bitter cold and midday heat, getting lost, battling thick pines and steep terrain, then got rained and snowed on...

And didn't see a damn thing (besides a few does). I think the DWR must go through those woods with an elk hoof and some droppings and leave sign around to get people's hopes up. Ha. We passed well over 100 camps while driving through Soapstone and saw 1 cow elk being unloaded from a trailer.

I truly admire the perseverance of those who hunt up there, and I'm sure if I spent enough time up around there I could be successful, but I think I'll stick with the spike only units and wait until I draw for limited entry.

The Uintas are truly unique and beautiful, however, and that seemed to even everything out.

ID Bronco

Well, we spent all weekend getting up in the bitter cold and midday heat, getting lost, battling thick pines and steep terrain, then got rained and snowed on...

And didn't see a damn thing (besides a few does). I think the DWR must go through those woods with an elk hoof and some droppings and leave sign around to get people's hopes up. Ha. We passed well over 100 camps while driving through Soapstone and saw 1 cow elk being unloaded from a trailer.

I truly admire the perseverance of those who hunt up there, and I'm sure if I spent enough time up around there I could be successful, but I think I'll stick with the spike only units and wait until I draw for limited entry.

The Uintas are truly unique and beautiful, however, and that seemed to even everything out.

A good attitude after an unsuccessful hunt is a great attribute to have. Good for you!

OB1

The wife and I were able to fill one of our cow elk tags yesterday in the Manti Lasal mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk