Emery County, UT - Mountain Dew Trail

jet_aj

Just loosing my mind
Mountain Dew
Difficulty: 3.5/3.5+
Location: Trail Starts along the road to the Wedge Overlook near buckhorn wash in Emery County.
Distance: Trail is about 6 miles long (3 in, 3 back out).

Description: The trail starts off easy enough with a gradual climb up a mix of dirt and rock. Several spots your are completely on Conglomerate rock (tons of small rocks cemented together), which gives great traction. The hardest part of the trail (marked as the Sweet Spot), consists of conglomerate rock with some steep steps and tight turns. From here it drops down a dugway. If the weather is bad the dugway may not be passable, as it consists mainly of clay soil. The trail ends with a great over look of the Buck Horn Flat.

Mountain Dew GPS Way Points:

• Trail Start: 39°14'41.88"N 110°48'39.48"W
  • The Sweet Spot: 39°14'6.54"N 110°47'15.44"W
  • Mushroom Rock 39°13'59.89"N 110°47'0.30"W
  • End/Over Look: 39°13'22.55"N 110°46'7.25"W

Mountain Dew Trail Map
[map]http://www.rme4x4.com/posts/maps/MountainDew.kmz[/map]

Attachments

jet_aj

Just loosing my mind
The Devils race track is out there 4 rated (freaking awesome trail), and the Eagle Canyon trail is neat... I dont have GPS info for them yet...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Premium Vendor
Approximate time to run the trail in and out from the trailhead?

Is this a pin-striping trail or is it pretty clear of foliage?

Great addition :cool:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com

It's kind of tight in some places early on while you go through the cedars, but not too bad. About 3 years ago we had a full size Blazer out there with us.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Premium Vendor
what ya doin this sunday kurt? :D
I'll be coming back from Bendover. I am going to try and hit up this trail 9/30-10/1 as I'll have a day to spare between Green River and Hanksville.

jet_aj

Just loosing my mind

With 4 rigs and NO breakdowns... we left price about 9:30am and I was back home by about 2:30pm... about 30 min to trail head from price... so...
TRAIL TIME was about 4 hours-ish... we was kinda slow going in a few places and took a little time eating lunch at the end of the trail... could all vary depending on the rigs and if you have any breakdowns...

for the most part its easy to follow. Once you get to the spot marked as the Mushroom Rock there are a couple different trails you can follow.. the actual trail turns to the left.
one goes to the right and goes over where you can look into the valley below. and if you have a narrow rig and are crazy:eek: you can go down a washed out dugway down into the valley below...

Pretty sure this route is closed, as in not on the travel plan.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The portion of the trail that is on the San Rafael Motorized travel map is open. This is the section that is in Emery County. The rest of the trail that is in Carbon County was not included in the 2008 RMP.

There is no signage on the ground or maps produced....so yes there are still people who run it.

teamwestoutdoor

All Locked up
Had a great time on this trail yesterday. The Trail was open as far as we could tell, we didn't see any sign of it being closed. The trail was well outlined and maintained. We were pretty impressed with some of the obstacles on this trail. The Sweet Spot is a great obstacle with some pretty tight corners and rocky spots that require you to be on your toes. I can't give a report on the rest of the trail after this spot as I broke an axle and had to limp out from there. I hope I can get back on this route before it's snowed in for the season and finish what I started. I have some photos I'll be posted ASAP.

The portion of the trail that is on the San Rafael Motorized travel map is open. This is the section that is in Emery County. The rest of the trail that is in Carbon County was not included in the 2008 RMP.
Isn't the entire trail in Emery? I know it as it is mapped in this thread, and this is in Emery.

There is no signage on the ground or maps produced....so yes there are still people who run it.
Guess so.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Isn't the entire trail in Emery? I know it as it is mapped in this thread, and this is in Emery.

Looking @ the SR Travel Map you are correct, it is entirely in Emery County. I mistakenly thought where it ended on the travel map at the north end was at the county line, it is the border of Cedar Mountain.

On the SR Travel Map, the south end of the Mt. Dew trail was included with that back in 2005. When the 2008 RMP came out, they included all the trails in the San Rafel Travel Plan as they were on the map. And we all know the rest of the story when it comes to all of the other trails.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.