Enclosed Trailer discussion

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Let me put it this way: We’ve driven all over to competitions for 5 years and never even had a flat. I’m pretty sure we have some really bad luck coming our way at some point lol

Agreed. I've towed enclosed race trailers all over the western U.S. and into Canada since early 90's (probably 75k+ miles) and never had an axle issue or even a flat tire on our trailer. Granted, I was anal about my bearing and brakes but never an issue on the road. I don't think I would have that third axle merely for a "what if" situation. The only way I would run a third axle is IF I needed the carrying capacity, other than that I don't think it's worth the hassle nor the scrubbing.

Do enclosed trailers come with torsion axles? We had a situation with my dads horse trailer years ago and we were able to pull a tire off and get home on 3.

I've seen them either way but most of the upper end ones seem to use torsion axles. I had Dexters under both of mine and really liked them. Very smooth, almost floated down the highway and other than weight I didn't even notice them behind the coach.

Mike

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Not triple axle but long and relatively cheap. :)

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Not triple axle but long and relatively cheap. :)

I can get a brand new trailer built to my specs for what they are asking for this one

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I have nothing to add other than I got this for my enclosed (albiet smaller) trailer and it gives me some confidence.
View attachment 124111

Ryan lives in Tooele. I’m pretty sure you can go to his house at any given time and the keys are in the ignition of all of his vehicles. I have to ask him to take the keys out and lock the truck when we’re on the road for comps...

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
So after much shopping around I think I am going to go with a 28 foot Charmac Legend with a foot of extra height, and tandem 7k axles. I also think im going to go with a spread axle unless you guys want to talk me out of that. I realize its going to scrub more than a normal axle setup but less than a triple axle.......

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
What would this gain me? anything I couldnt gain with my adjustable hitch?
More adjustability, higher tow rating, and just a better built coupler. I had a hard time finding a ball mount rated high enough for my dump trailer at max weight.

This is the one I have. It never gives me grief, I never have to smack it with a hammer to lock or unlock, and it is just BEEF.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
More adjustability, higher tow rating, and just a better built coupler. I had a hard time finding a ball mount rated high enough for my dump trailer at max weight.

This is the one I have. It never gives me grief, I never have to smack it with a hammer to lock or unlock, and it is just BEEF.

I have a similar one on my dump trailer.. but I use hitch pins for the bolts... then I simple unpin the coupler when I drop the trailer somewhere. Unless someone has their own coupler, the trailer can't be moved.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a similar one on my dump trailer.. but I use hitch pins for the bolts... then I simple unpin the coupler when I drop the trailer somewhere. Unless someone has their own coupler, the trailer can't be moved.
That's a pretty good idea. Are the hitch pins rated that high?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I had the standard 10k pound coupler on my Wells Cargo but I special ordered the 25k adjustable coupler when I ordered my Haulmark Edge race trailer. It was a little tight with my weight distributing hitch at first but I really liked having the higher capacity coupler for peace of mind.

Mike

neagtea

Supporting Member
give Todd at wasatch a call
Also there is an extra tall 28 foot three axle hallmark on the fb race trailers for sale page like 9500

neagtea

Supporting Member
So after much shopping around I think I am going to go with a 28 foot Charmac Legend with a foot of extra height, and tandem 7k axles. I also think im going to go with a spread axle unless you guys want to talk me out of that. I realize its going to scrub more than a normal axle setup but less than a triple axle.......
Good plan the guys I know running charmac don’t regret it