Engine Help!

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
I have a 95 YJ with the I6. Now that it is getting colder it of course doesn't start right off like it did in summer, but now when it hasn't been started for a while and is cold, I am hearing a squeaking sound coming from the engine. My Bro told me it was either my water pump going out or a bearing in the engine. I think it is either the bearing in the alternator or in the air compressor (I have A/C). You can hear it a lot louder on the passenger side than the driver side. When you stand in front of the vehicle it almost sounds like it is coming directly from the alternator or compressor.

What would happen if this bearing seizes up? Will it cause a lot of damage? Does anyone know a good shop where I could get it checked out at, and if they can fix it for a reasonable price?

Thanks!!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Pull the bely off of the AC an ALt and spin the pullies, most often if you can hear them while it is running you will hear or feel something while turning it by hand.

Also see if the jeep will run without the ALT & AC belt installed (my cruiser will but I'm not sure yours will) If it does run with these two, see if you hear the noise then. If you still do then it is obviously within the engine.

If a bearing does seize on either the AC or ALT it can destroy them both. On most applications it is cheaper to go to the aprts store and buy a brand new ALT rather than attempt to have your old one reworked... This is the most general case. There are some ALT's that are totally worth rebuilding.

Hope this helps... if not feel free to get ahold of me and I'll take a look at it with ya'

Good Luck