Engine Ice vs Evans Coolant

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
My KTM 990 Adventure is getting some cooling system upgrades and I want to run a better coolant, these bikes are known to run hot and don't like sitting in traffic on a hot day or slow, technical riding. I'm adding a 2nd electric fan, a fan temp sensor with a lower turn-on temperature, an upgraded CJ Designs water pump and better coolant.

The 2 coolant options I'm looking at are Evans Coolant and Engine Ice.

My biggest concern is being able to add/top off the coolant while on the road, if needed. Does anyone know if, in a pinch, can you add water to either Evans or Engine Ice? I bought 2 gallons of Engine Ice, to share between my 990 and 250.

OK... did some research and found this about Engine Ice;
Q: What do I do in an emergency if I have an issue and need some Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant on the track, trail or side of the road?

A: If you have lost coolant and are in an emergency situation, we recommend you add only water, a good bottled water preferably, and once you get the chance make any necessary repairs, flush the system and replace with 100% Engine Ice for optimum results and protection.

And about Evans Coolant;
Q. Can I add water to Evans Waterless Coolant?

Yes, but only in an emergency. Evans Waterless Coolant is completely compatible with Water, however once you exceed 5% the benefits of Evans Waterless Coolant are compromised. We recommend that as soon as possible you refill with Evans Waterless Coolant to regain its benefits.

Guess I answered my question... but thought this was worth sharing. Since I have the Engine Ice already I think I'll just run it. Sounds like the Evans cools better under much higher temps, but I think that anything will be an improvement over standard coolant.

Tonkaman

I switched to Evans when I rebuilt my bike engine. Even with the big bore engine it runs way cooler than with Engine Ice. Downside is you have to buy 1 gallon at a time, it's harder to find, and it's spendy!

Cascadia

Undecided
Earlier this winter when I rode in freezing temps a few times (back when it was winter) I drained all my fluid and did engine ice. I found 1/2 gallon jug of it and it was 22.95. After filling my radiators, running the bike, long rides, and topping off, I still have half the jug left. ;)

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I am running Evans in all my bikes. One thing I like about the Evans is that it does not build pressure like other coolant. I got a pin hole in a radiator house at a race and list very little coolant.

Caleb

I've always ran engine ice in my bikes and have never had any problems. I think I still have a full jug left. Maybe I should try evans on my new bike.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thanks guys, lots of good info here... one point for the Evans Coolant, they say that it doesn't really have a lifetime and that it will last basically forever and not require changing/flushing. The Engine Ice recommends that it's changed every year... and every 6 months for racing applications. So if you follow the recommendations, you're going to replace your Engine Ice every year.. which I doubt I'd really want to do... :rofl: Not to mention the cost of replacing Engine Ice yearly, plus the time to do the work.

Q. Does Evans require periodic maintenance?

Evans Water Coolant is intended to be in the system for the life of the vehicle. The only maintenance required is to keep the coolant at the proper level in the reservoir. No periodic addition of supplemental coolant additives (SCA's) is needed, nor should any ever be added. Evans does recommend doing an inspection at least once a year to ensure that no contamination of the coolant has occurred.

I'm on the fence... really don't want to spend even more money to buy the Evans when I have Engine Ice, but it may be smart in the long run.