Engine Rebuilders

RedeyeRacing

Have a neighbor I’m helping with his 08 JKU. The 3.8 went south and he needs to replace/rebuild it. Been a lot of years since I have had one rebuilt. Any machine shops/builders in town worth talking to? Would like to make it stronger and better than a cheap bulk rebuilder.

Thanks!

Nate

Jesser04

Helped a friend with a 496 in his boat we used hunter in west valley and it’s been great. I went with him to drop it off and they were easy to work with.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
You can find a lift out fairly reasonable but you then run the risk of getting one that also is on its last leg. You can definitely replace it with a lift out (maybe even a couple) for less money than a rebuild. That being said I like to do things myself and if mine went I would rebuild it myself even if it did cost a few bucks more.

If you could find one that you knew the history on it would be even better. I just sold my 3.8 litre out of my 2011 for a very good deal along with the 42RLE transmission that had 92k miles on it and was running in top condition and not burning oil. The guy who bought it threw a rod out the side of his in his 2008 that had 156k on it and he was ecstatic to find mine.

Mike

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I would never consider rebuilding most modern engines. They are are considered throw away parts nowadays. At least the gassers are. If you are sure you want to rebuild, get a few quotes and then get a quote for a 6.2L conversion.

RedeyeRacing

Thanks for the feedback. He actually owns 2 JK’s. One has a 5.7 Hemi swap already. This one his son drives and doesn’t want to spend the $ for a second conversion. The block only has 85k miles. It’s been wheeled a lot but appears he spun a main bearing. Will check out Hunter because we are in Salt Lake.