GMC / Chevy Engine Swap Help Chevy 6.0 lq4

Swatdog23

I looking to swap in a Lq4 6.0 into my 84 Jeep CJ-7. I am new to the forum and looking for any advise on the swap and a idea of about how much money it will take to complete the swap. I plan on doing most of the work myself with the exception of the wiring and computer programming.

Here is what I know so far.

Adapter for dana 300 to 4l60e trans. $600
Motor mounts-$250
6.0 lq4-$1800-$3000
trans 4160e-

Any help or advise would be great. I am also looking for some people to start trial rides with or rock crawling trips. Thanks

RockChucker

you also need to think about a radiator. electric fan or mechanical works well. if your throttle body is dbw, you'll need to source a pedal and maybe a TAC module. I would stay away from a 4l60e with a 6.0 and look for a 4l65e. it is the same case, but beefier internals. There is a monster 250+ page thread on pirate dedicated to LS swaps. The thread is called 5.3 Jeeps. It is a good reference, but there is still a lot you will have to figure out for yourself. If you plan on keeping it street legal, you will have a much easier time than me since your CJ is not obdII.

I would plan on about $7000 doing it cheap. You may be able to do it cheaper, but all the little things like fittings, hoses, trans shifter, exhaust and such nickel and dimes you to death. It is not cheap to do it right. There are lots of guys that have done it cheaper, but everyone I have seen had weird quirks when it ran. Take your time, research it and do it right the first time. It will cheaper in the long run.

Edit: I lied, it is ONLY 177 pages. haha

Here is the link:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/735270-5-3-jeeps.html

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Check out LS1Tech.com as well my friend on there has done lots of LS based swaps as well as plenty of other users, his username is LSXYJ, I helped him do his 5.3l YJ swap a few years ago and we did a few other LS swaps as well, he is actually in the process of doing 1 or 2 swaps right now I believe.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I am mid swap right now. So far I have spent $7200, and still need my drivelines modified and exhaust. It's crazy how fast the little stuff adds up. I probably have over $500 in fittings and braided line alone.

They say it's worth it in the end. We'll see when I get to drive it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKDRGOvlKxY

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
This is my list of parts so far. To be fair, I am redoing my brake lines, adding cutting brakes, and changing my trans and tcase to cable shifting. I have also included tools and consumables that I have needed along the way. I may have missed a few transactions here and there, but not any of the big ones.

Roark Supply $74.26 Flap discs
Wayne $435.00 Tune and harness
Engine $1,391.00
Advanced Adapters $864.49 New flywheel, trans to tcase
Poly performance $481.34 Winter shifter and cutting brakes
Speedway $67.52 Brake lines
Summit Racing $471.96 Fuel system
Ebay $39.80 Oil block off plate
Speedway $28.03 Thread adapter for temp and oil
Summit Racing $455.75 Gauges
Tranny $935.00
12 Volt Guy Panel $238.00
Advanced Adapters $217.00 Speedo gear, tcase input shaft
Jagsthatrun $33.00 Steam port T
Howe $77.00 Steering pump bracket
Summit Racing $358.45 Oil accumulator, electrical
Wayne $103.20 Pedal, TAC and harness
Custombuiltmotors ebay $63.57 Coolant outlet
Rockauto.com $17.76 Spark plug wire and starter bolts
Summit Racing $446.01 Trans cooler, misc fittings
McMaster Carr $82.02 Hardware for dash and rivnut tool
Amazon $42.34 Tstat, tap/die set, heater plug
Summit Racing $74.45
PSC $204.99 Steering pump
Total: $7,201.94

Swatdog23

This is all great information. I have started to read through the post on pirate but have not got all the way through it yet Lol. One question for you guys is I have just completed both front and rear axle swaps, Dana 60 front and rear, I used the Ballistic out board leaf spring kit( Wish I had just done three link or four link just not that handy with fab yet). I have already made the front and rear drivelines. The rear is a CV and the front is just standard. So for the question... how much will my drive lines change. I have yet to see any pic of the drive train I am planing to use . 6.0 LQ4/4l65e/dana300/d60/d60. I hope this did not sound like a stupid question.

Thanks

RockChucker

my rear driveline gained about 2 inches in length, but I kept my stock AX15. I don't know how the length of a 4l65e compares to that. I wouldn't let your drivelines dictate where you put the engine though. it is usually pretty reasonable to have the drivelines shortened or lengthened. My total is very similar to benjy's even though my parts list is different. you are welcome to come go for a ride as well. shoot me a pm and we can work something out.

UFAB

Reflash the ecm for VATS. Also tune. Possibly new O2 sensors, worked harness or new one. Air intake plumbing.

Trans cross member, drive lines, shifters, exhaust.

Benjy has definately dropped some coin just on parts. Now if you added his time including research. $$$

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I think that's a bit high, but it just depends on how long you want to look. I bought an LQ9/4L65 together with 60k and all the bolt ons and harness for $1800. But I think that was unusual. I ended up selling it for $2400.

On a side note, a ton of money can be saved and the end result can be done just as well. For example, in one swap I did we used all Russel Classic braided hoses. In another one we just used cheap black rubber hose. I try to hide lines and wires as much as possible so you really couldn't see much hose in either swap. They both ran just as well. Benyj has a great list there and some top parts, but you can spend a lot less if you want and still have a swap that will bring you endless smiles. And with a cj7 it is way easier compaired to a TJ. Four or five wire hook up and it's ready to run. Reuse your stock gauges and senders. Get a good Radiator and electric fan. Find a cheap transmission because it will be taken apart anyways to adapt to the 300, so rebuild it at the same time.
I can go on and on, but I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't save a ton of money off Benjy's list. Based simply on the cj vs tj.

Swatdog23

I end up buying the 2007 Chevy avalanche 5.3 for 1250. I have started to strip the wiring harness and have most of it done. I was hoping someone might have the Pinouts for the under the hood fuse box. it is a gen 4 engine and I have not been able to find any pinouts. Its is not listed on LT1swap.com but I was able to use that site to figure most of it out. I just need to know what the big purple wire is and the Black (ground most likely). I am building my own fuse box and relays. Also need a gas pedal assembly. I also am looking for a 4l60e or 4l65e if anyone has one or knows of one for sale. Does it matter what year the trans comes from?

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:

chadschoon

$1250 sounds like a good deal. 6.0's from the junk yard minus acc and computer are around $1000 with that low of miles.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Benjy, I live in Saratoga Springs if you have time maybe I could come by and take a look or even help out. Thanks

Matt (I didn't realize who you were) - of course you can stop by anytime! It was good to see you this morning. Usually I don't have the doors open, but if you can hear music coming from the garage just knock on the garage door :) It's great having wheeling neighbors.

After I get mine wrapped up I can come over and help you get yours done so we can go wheelin' :D

Last edited:

Swatdog23

Benjy,

It was nice to talk to you the other day. I can come down and help whenever you need the extra help, just let me know and I will be there. I am all ready to pull out the old 4.2 engine, if you have time and don't mind borrowing your engine hoist I could use it whenever you got time.

Thanks,
Matt

Swatdog23

I have been told I cant use any 4l60e from anything older than a 2006 vehicle. Someone told me it had to do with an internal speed sensor on the stater. Said it would throw a code. I have read through the form but cant find a definite answer. My set will be as follows

2007 Gen IV LMG 5.3, 4l60e, and dana 300

any help would be greatly appreciate

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I'm not sure about that code. Any thought on using a 6l65e? If you are going to keep this thing on the streets, you may really like it. The tap shifter makes it funner too. Plus a 4.0 first gear is pretty nice.

RockChucker

How does the adapter for a d300 to a 4l60e work? If it is a new output for the trans you might be ahead to get one in need of a rebuild of ksl.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
There is a 6L65E, but a bit rare, compared to the 6L80E that I meant to type. Most likely you will need to tare the 4L60 down to install that new output shaft that will come with your adapter kit. So just get a core for next to nothing then have it rebuilt when they put the new shaft in. I'd find a 4L65E, same size and stronger components. I'm not sure on the size of the 6L motors, but for any of these motors, I would plan on stretching the rear axle. You can get it all to fit, but the longer wheelbase will be much nicer with all that power.