Engine Swap Samurai

mhafen

The 1.3 will not stop spitting oil. Ive replaced the oil pan and oil pump gaskets and Im getting a little bogged down by the hang up. So I figure why beat this to death when I can just replace or upgrade? I have 2500-3000 for an engine swap(thats giving up more upgrades until next year). What should I do? Ive found a few things that sound appealing.
1) 1.6 or 1.9 turbo diesel upgrade. (Awesome) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4t5iZvWYgM
2) 1.6 fuel injected. (The norm)
3) Replace the 1.3 and continue with other upgrades. (New 2 piece hard top, headers, axles, yj springs f/r, lockers f/r...ect)
4) Get a rebuild done on the current engine.

What would everyone else do? I really like the diesel because... it sounds cool. But I dont know how much total it would cost considering I do not have the space to do the conversion myself.
I plan on using this as my DD so its got to be something that is reasonable.

mhafen

Since your located in Utah you wouldnt happen to know where a good Zuk mechanic would be? Someone experienced with swapping engines. Or really anyone on the forums who wants to make some extra cash.

zukking01

The reason everyone swaps in the 1.6 16v sidekick engine is because it is relatively cheap, easy, and effective.

I had a 1.6 8v and then went to a 4.3 TBI. If I could do it all over I would go with a 1.6 16v and be happy. The 16v will pass IM so it is a legal swap and it can be dine in a weekend.

The 1.6 or 1.9 diesel is hard to do. You need almost two complete engines to get all parts needed to make it work. Engines have different hedder angles and oil filter angles so you basically need 2 engines and the adapter and parts needed it will put you over budget.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Where is a good source to look for 1.6 16v engines? And whats a good ball park price to get it done?

Any self service salvage yard. Late model Sidekicks are like locust right now. Whole long blocks are ~$200 and another ~$200 for all the other components you'll need off the vehicle. These are of course ballpark.

In retrospect I think I would have been better off doing a 1.6L 16v swap than doing the 1.3L EFI. Happy with what I have, just it really would be nice to have that extra power.

zukking01

I personally would get a 1.6 16v from a known person in working condition. It saves the heartache of finding out the engine is crap after doing all the work. I would not cheap out and look for a complete engine I could listen to and possibly drive and knowing what you have in front of you be willing to pay up to $1000 for the engine and all parts.

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
The 1.3 will not stop spitting oil. Ive replaced the oil pan and oil pump gaskets and Im getting a little bogged down by the hang up. So I figure why beat this to death when I can just replace or upgrade? I have 2500-3000 for an engine swap(thats giving up more upgrades until next year). What should I do? Ive found a few things that sound appealing.
1) 1.6 or 1.9 turbo diesel upgrade. (Awesome) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4t5iZvWYgM
2) 1.6 fuel injected. (The norm)
3) Replace the 1.3 and continue with other upgrades. (New 2 piece hard top, headers, axles, yj springs f/r, lockers f/r...ect)
4) Get a rebuild done on the current engine.

What would everyone else do? I really like the diesel because... it sounds cool. But I dont know how much total it would cost considering I do not have the space to do the conversion myself.
I plan on using this as my DD so its got to be something that is reasonable.

I have done 29 1.6 16 valve conversion's into samurai's. They are a easy straight forward and cost efficient conversion. The critical part is to make sure you get all the sensors and equipment to make it run. If not it can be an expensive conversion. I know where a full conversion with the harness complete and ready to install into a samurai for around 1800.00. This has motor mounts trans adapter fuel pump etc..Might even have PS. Maybe even cheaper! I also have a 8 valve conversion for around 1400 ready to go. The Wrangler spring conversion is good on a samurai, however nothing beats a solid designed long arm and coils or coilovers. Engine swap you can do yourself.

Attachments

• July 071.jpg
    July 071.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 4

mhafen

Since I do not have the space or equipment to install myself how much would it cost to do that? You have an 8 valve ready to go? Id like to know more!

Last edited:

mhafen

I just have to find one. I want the 16v and I need help or I need someone to do the install and it has to be done in one weekend because I dont have the space to do it past that time. If anyone has a 16v available then Id like to start bargaining.

str8axleguy

Good to hear, saw this post kinda late, but for the dough go 16v. Like others have said it is by far the best bang for the buck. I should know I dd a sami and got done with the 16v swap a couple of months ago. I can easilly do the speed limit on the freeway now and am very happy with the swap. If I had done anything less than the 16v I don't think it would have been enough to justify as I was already running an efi 1.3. Good luck and if you run into a snag hit me up.

mhafen

This is going to be an adventure. I dont see to many potential snags but you never know. Im going to go with the 16v it looks like. What size tires do you run?

str8axleguy

31x12.5 swamper ssr radials. My transfer case has the 6.5 gear set in it too. I ran a set of 33 off my buddies jeep and it did just as well on 33's as it does with the 31's. I noticed I had to downshift more on hills but that was the only draw back. The swap wasn't too bad, I did mine in a weekend, but was using a trail tough modified harness so that made it easier too.