Everyday carry: daily-driver edition

STAG

On my grind
What tools or assistance items do you have in your daily driver for those miscellaneous ‘emergencies’ etc.

First aid kit? Drinking water? Blanket? Tools? Air compressor? Jumper cables? Battery booster? Fuse assortment? Electrical repair tools? Duct tape? Road flares? Flashlight? Etc.

For my vehicles I have a habit of struggle between having some items to have with me at all times, or having “clutter” of stuff i.e. a back seat that always has stuff in it to where passengers would need to either move or deal with.

I’m leaning towards modifying the bed with some storage ideas to help get the clutter out of the cab while also having emergency essentials.

_____

Right now in my gladiator all I have with me for extras is:

•194 piece socket/wrench set
•Air compressor (cheap, cigarette socket one)
•Box of bandaids (kids are always getting little bleeds)
•handful of zip ties
•extra phone charger cable
•dog poo bags
____

I have a set of nice 12v air compressors and an air tank I would like to hardmount for those on-board-air times of convenience.

I also used to always have a set of jumper cables with me but haven’t been packing lately.

I would like to start bringing my HF offroad jack with me too as the OEM jack doesn’t really lift high enough now that I’m on the 40’s. I’m not really a “hi-lift” kind of guy in general but maybe I should be convinced to invest in one?

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We are pretty consistent across all our vehicles with emergency stuff.
-Tire plug kit
-air compressor
-jumper cables
-recovery strap
-small first aid kit
-small amount of water bottles
-ratchet straps
-head lamps/flashlights
-phone charger cables
-small amount of cash

Wife's car gets a set of cloths for each of the kids.
Both my trucks have a small amount of tools, zip ties, rain gear (frogg togs), and mud boots... and maybe a gun or 4 with ammo.

My daily truck has a good amount of tools (for work though)

The F350 has some welding rod for camping emergencies.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My approach has changed in the last few years. I have built specific kit's for each car tailored to use.

My daily Toyota's have had only metric tools, small first aid kit, jump pack replaces jumper cables, trash bags, some water bottles, spare serpentine belt, plug kit, hoodie, gloves, flashlight, knife, lighter, TP, sunscreen, chapstick, ear and eye pro and of course spare freedom seeds.

My toy rig has tools to repair it and anything it transports so that includes star lug wrench and dirt bike tools. It's a diesel so no jump pack since it's useless but I do have jumper cables. Larger first aid kit, knife, flashlights, hoodie, sunscreen, chapstick, ratchet straps, tow straps, Motorcycle tubes, shovel and TP, spare freedom seeds.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Basic tools (sockets, crescent wrenches, $5 multimeter, etc), water, recovery stuff (straps, shackles, traction ladders, exhaust jack), flashlights, jumper cables, compressor, plug kit, fuses, basic first aid kit, raingear, bush money, sunscreen, bug dope, emergency hammock, etc. There's a deep cycle battery in a National Luna power pack thing that runs the fridge and camp accessories that doesn't come out often (mostly because it's heavy AF). I've got a small camp axe and shovel that live in the Trasharoo. In winter I add blankets, tire chains, and a little canister stove. Most of it goes a tote in back, or stashed in various door cargo pockets and whatnot.

I need to give the tool bag a hard looking at, and probably add some stuff. I definitely don't have what I'd need to change an axle shaft or a ball joint, for example. And I want to completely rework the first aid kit, right now it's great for scratches and blisters but I'm not set up for trauma.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I would like to start bringing my HF offroad jack with me too as the OEM jack doesn’t really lift high enough now that I’m on the 40’s. I’m not really a “hi-lift” kind of guy in general but maybe I should be convinced to invest in one?
Look at the Tauler Jack from Brennan’s Garage. It’s lighter, safer, and packs smaller.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I’m not really a “hi-lift” kind of guy in general but maybe I should be convinced to invest in one?
The Hi Lift jack is one of those things that will eat your face, but when you need it you need it. As awesome as that Tauler jack is (and it's damned awesome, I'm gonna have one for sure), there's things the Hi Lift can do that nothing else can.

Comes down to that balance between preparedness and overpacking that you're trying to find, and it's different for everyone. I'm a terrible overpacker, I HATE being in a situation where I don't have the right gear to deal with it and so I arguably carry way too much crap. Some guys are very good at minimalist packing and just making do (or relying on the overpacker that they're rolling with :rofl:). You'll figure out what works for you.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I'll be the first to say I love a hilift jack. I've definitely taken a ninja death jack handle to the face before, but I definitely saved my own bacon a few times (including flipping a SXS back over with just myself and one other guy: who only had 1 & 1/3 legs BTW).

What I used to bring wheeling stuff is a different story: (let's just say I was an XJ guy for too many years). 🤣

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'll be the first to say I love a hilift jack. I've definitely taken a ninja death jack handle to the face before, but I definitely saved my own bacon a few times (including flipping a SXS back over with just myself and one other guy: who only had 1 & 1/3 legs BTW).

What I used to bring wheeling stuff is a different story: (let's just say I was an XJ guy for too many years). 🤣

I helped you right a sxs?

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Daily driver: drive new Toyota to avoid roadside repairs, bring snacks, water bottles, flashlight, gloves, sunscreen, napkins, and a cell phone. I always carry cash and a leatherman, and my G17, you know, for emergencies.

STAG

On my grind
I don’t have a spare for my trailer yet, I did pick up a nail that caused a flat but luckily I was close by to an autozone and picked up a plug kit. I had my jack and air compressor in the trailer luckily.

I’ll pick up a spare and get it mounted though because I know next time a plug kit might not be enough of a repair solution

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
Mighty Max:

toolbox -
*large wrench set with a couple all-sixteenths
*BFH & LFH
*pry bars
*electrical b.s.
* jack
*300+chrome and impact socket set and ratchets
*fluids
*jumper cables