Excited to ride again!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Sadly my bike sat dormant all of 2019, it had a single bigger trip to Nevada and a few rips around town in 2018. So not only do I need a new battery :D I also need to get out and use it in 2020 or sell it. I fired it up this evening, surprisingly it took just a few kicks to fire to life. Too cold outside or I would have gone for a late night rip around town.

Any RME’ers doing tune-ups these days? It’s a 07 KTM 450 XCW. It could use a good service, valve adjust?, oil and it’s got a flat front tire.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

I’m stoked you haven’t given up on the old girl! Normally I’d be happy to tune her up for ya but I can’t right now with my health issues. once I’m all healed I’ll be sure to holler at you for some riding!

@Gravy is usually the guy for this sort of thing, but not sure if his back will allow it yet??

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I'm able to work on stuff again.
You're welcome to bring it by the shop. We can certainly do a tune up for you. I've got plenty of tubes. A front tire is cheap. Half hour plus the tube.
A valve adjustment usually only costs 2 hours of labor.
PM me if you've lost my number.

You should come race! I'd love to do a team race this year. Here's the schedule.

2002maniac

If it starts up with a few kicks the valves should be good. I have an 06 525 exc and can tell when it needs a valve adjustment by the ease of starting. When the intake valves start to get tight it's a pain to get it started.

Valve adjustment is super easy on the KTM RFS engine. Just pull the tank and loosen the radiators (no need to dump the coolant) for access to the valves.

If they do need adjustment the adjuster and locknut style is very easy. No messing with shims!

Last edited:

J-mobzz

I'm able to work on stuff again.

I have a RMZ 450 I got new Hardware, plastics and graphics for. The aluminum gas tank has a shroud bolt that is broke off and I haven’t gotten past taking old plastics off. The graphics were pretty spendy and I’m nervous about doing it myself. Any interest in taking this project over and making it look good for me? I also threw a rekluse in that could use some adjustment.

This is what It looks like.
F99E14BD-E6F7-4DB1-9880-7C0DB9E555A4.png

This is what I want it to look like
1E50EB86-55B0-4FB2-8670-FC281E9488B7.jpeg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I have a RMZ 450 I got new Hardware, plastics and graphics for. The aluminum gas tank has a shroud bolt that is broke off and I haven’t gotten past taking old plastics off. The graphics were pretty spendy and I’m nervous about doing it myself. Any interest in taking this project over and making it look good for me? I also threw a rekluse in that could use some adjustment.

This is what It looks like.
View attachment 125370

This is what I want it to look like
View attachment 125371
@J-mobzz
You're welcome to bring it by the shop. That's all within my wheelhouse. I'm excellent at graphics

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Fast forward. I picked up a 2018 KTM 690 in late 2020 and have aleady had some decent seat time. I’m loving it so much I sold the 450 to @moab_cj5 and he’s getting some great use out of it. @Gravy had just done some major cleanup on it, tires, bibs, fork seals, etc. Dave will have a great bike.

I have a whole bunch of Mosko Moto stuff I need to hang on the 690 with plans to do some multiple day rides. I picked up a Tusk rear rack it mounts kinda jenky so I’ve just ordered some goods from a Serbia based company that makes some rad machined parts. Their rack is dialed :cool:

B68A7AA7-F280-4821-9522-39394F99C9FA.jpeg

Ultimate goal is a setup like this:

86A71EF2-4895-4C32-B33D-4A8E2DD3EF2A.jpeg

There is a neat Czech company making aux fuel tanks that add 1.6 gallons. A couple of my buddies have it and really dig it.

CF04AD57-B2D0-4067-B11C-9552BF373457.jpeg

Tonkaman

Fast forward. I picked up a 2018 KTM 690 in late 2020 and have aleady had some decent seat time. I’m loving it so much I sold the 450 to @moab_cj5 and he’s getting some great use out of it. @Gravy had just done some major cleanup on it, tires, bibs, fork seals, etc. Dave will have a great bike.

I have a whole bunch of Mosko Moto stuff I need to hang on the 690 with plans to do some multiple day rides. I picked up a Tusk rear rack it mounts kinda jenky so I’ve just ordered some goods from a Serbia based company that makes some rad machined parts. Their rack is dialed :cool:

View attachment 148232

Ultimate goal is a setup like this:

View attachment 148233

There is a neat Czech company making aux fuel tanks that add 1.6 gallons. A couple of my buddies have it and really dig it.

View attachment 148234
🤤 That bike looks like so much fun!! Glad to see your back on two wheels and getting some miles down

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Had a fantastic trip with @moab_cj5 and my buddy Bob from Wyoming. Put the bikes thru the paces. Excited to spend more time getting comfortable on the 690.

We camped near the airport and rode part of Klondike Bluffs into Arches, thru Arches and down to the RR4W Vendor show. Lunched at Moab Brewery and then rode Chicken Corners and back to town and back up to camp where we peeled off at Dalton Wells and road sole more single track stuff before looping back to camp. 120? miles on the bikes, fantastic day. Today we rode Gemini Bridges, part of 3D, visited Hidden Canyon Overlook and dropped out to Blue Hills Road. 60 or so miles of mostly dirt. Trails were calm, everyone courteous for the most part.

348268F6-9DF1-4C78-B8B7-F68A922692F9.jpeg

Tonkaman

@Greg , @Tonkaman, @jeeper, @Vonski and @Gravy - Y’all remember when we ran Cliffhanger and the trails up by the Chevron north of town. Man that was a workout but so much fun. Anyone remember which trail we did North of town?

EDIT: Found the trip report :cool:
I absolutely LOVED that trip!

I’m pretty sure we rode the salt wash and sovereign trails.