Exhaust shop help...who is good?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I just had the rear suspension re-done on my ZJ so that it's nearly identical to the one on my old 4.0 ZJ. I took it down to the shop that did such an excellent job on my last one to have them do this one. Like last time, I opted to bring my own cat with me (not meow cat brett so leave you goofy cat pictures on your hard drive). My last ZJ had 2.5" pipe all the way out, and I want 3" on this one. My cat is 3" in and out....

At any rate, this shop won't use anything but the part number in the book for a replacement cat, which means a max of 2.5". He put it on the rack and didn't seem to think there would be any problems weaving the 3" exhaust from the y-pipe all the way out the back, but he would have to neck it down at the cat to 2.5"...which I think is stupid.

So I took it to another shop that I know does good work, and he didnt have any issue using the 3" in/out cat I have, but he saw no way in the world that he could get the 3" pipe out (he said "maybe") but the big problem was having room for a small muffler and cat....his solution was to lower my skidplate 3" which "wouldn't hurt anything at all since the lowest point is the bottom of my diff". he's a hot rod guy so I'll let it go.

At any rate, who knows of a shop that can snake exhaust through tight places, and has no problem using a 3" cat where a 2.5" cat is factory? I'll need a muffler too, probably a small bullet style because thats all that will fit. I wish I had room for more exhaust because I want it as mellow as possible but I'm somewhat limited.

suggestions?

Paul R

I had really good luck with the meineke on state street right next to Kirkhams... It has been a year or so since I was there, but they put the size pipe I wanted, and tucked it up nice and high for me. They were also one of the cheaper shops I called by quite a bit...

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I had really good luck with the meineke on state street right next to Kirkhams... It has been a year or so since I was there, but they put the size pipe I wanted, and tucked it up nice and high for me. They were also one of the cheaper shops I called by quite a bit...

they don't like 3" cat's ;)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Fritz down there kicks ass. He did an awesome job on my last jeep and thats why I brought it back to him. If I could talk him into using my cat, I'd be golden.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Fritz down there kicks ass. He did an awesome job on my last jeep and thats why I brought it back to him. If I could talk him into using my cat, I'd be golden.

damn, i was going to suggest fritz:-\

Is this going on Hal's old rig? (5.2/OBDII) I ran the mopar catback with a 40series and no cat on my old 5.2. It sounded wicked......for a 318

You may have the exhaust shop look up the cat for the 5.9 model. I believe it was a 3". As long as one of the models came with that setup, you should be good upgrading

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
thats an interesting thought for the 5.9....

i want it as mellow as possible. There isn't a bong hit's chance in brett's room that I could fit a flowmaster in there.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
thats an interesting thought for the 5.9....

i want it as mellow as possible. There isn't a bong hit's chance in brett's room that I could fit a flowmaster in there.

I am almost certian that my buddies 5.9s were 3" from cat to tailpipe with the same Y in front.

I went to Fritz and had them install one of their tiny little econo mufflers on my TJ. I do not dig wheelin loud trailrigs either. That ended in my ZJ days.

RockChucker

what about the place that does all the work for teraflex when they install lcg's on tj's? i'm not sure where they are, but carl might. but i don't know if they would work with you cat issue.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
what about the place that does all the work for teraflex when they install lcg's on tj's? i'm not sure where they are, but carl might. but i don't know if they would work with you cat issue.

ohh...you mean...umm... Fritz at Meineke ;)

ha ha. all roads are pointing to the same guy. too bad Beach isn't still doing exhaust work.

Caleb

Give Master Muffler in Kearns a shot. They did (what I felt) a great job on my buggy and they were quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else I tried.

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
i second stephen on the quick city suggestion they do a great job and love

doing custom work and as far as there concerned as long as your putting a cat in there its all good.

ask for ed over there and tell him ryan sent you over.