Exhaust

MattL

Ok here is the delema, my exhaust has to be redone when the funds come up but...

I had the exhaust done a little while ago at a shop we wont name. They messed it up big time like put welding holes in the mufflers and hangers are half assed on there, the exhaust hangs really low, and there is no doughnuts on the portion where the exhaust manifold meets up to where the start of the exhaust pipe begins.. a 2 year old could have done better than this shop did, this makes me mad just thinkin bout it.

Anyway, when I do it again I will personally take it there and personally watch them do it right!!

ok ok. so my question you ask..

I have a chev 350 in the 'mando, and am curious as to dual exhaust or a big ass single exhaust. Let me here the pros and cons on this. I would like it routed out the back end so it is a bit quieter and all but .. just am curious about people experiences with both.

Questions about my motor? Well the motor is mildly rebuilt small rv cam, and in the near future (tax return) I will put a tbi on it. That is all I am going to do as far as sprucing up the motor. So nothing fancy.

Another things is is it cost effective to do it the single piped way with a y-pipe by the motor??

I also want to know who they took their rig to to get their work done. I have heard good things bout draper brake but.... lets hear all

thanks

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
The basic theories are single exhaust creates more back pressure therefore benefiting in torque, is quieter, you only have to buy one muffler, and of course takes up less room. Dual makes more high rpm horsepower, can rob low end torque, and is louder. Be carefull too because if you go the single route, but go with a big pipe, you can lose torque that way. However, my eb is dualed with 2.5" pipe, full lenth headers, and flowmasters. I wouldn't have it any other way! Music to my ears.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think you'd be really happy with a 2.25" dual exhaust for that mild of a combo. The smaller pipes will add torque but will fall on their face above about 4500 rpm. Just my GM opinion...

harkinoff

something to do...
I'm running a stock 350 in the scout with sanderson block huggers which then goes to 2 1/2" to one 3" pipe all the way to the back, with one dynomax muffler, its to loud!!! I have run duals on everything else and the single is much easier to deal with, the noise factor you all are talking about , it depends on the size of pipe and what type of mufflers you run, not if its duals or single!!!!!, if I was doing exhaust on the hot rods I would keep them duals, just for the looks and the performance purpose, less bends in exhaust is more horsepower as is bigger pipe is more horsepower, the main reason I run a single in the scout is that I don't have room for duals, plus one pipe is easier to fix than two, since they are getting beat on the rocks all the time, just my opinion in the matter:p

Last edited:

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
From the FWIW department:

I run stock manifolds and 2.25' collectors, into a Stormer muffler and 3" from there. It is moderately loud, not too bad, I can't hear my exhaust at the moment because my tires are getting worn and are really noisy.

Consider this:
At UROC I noticed two rigs. One is Lee's.....you know the one....always at 5 grand RPM's, headers and strait pipes(very loud). The second was Jeff Price (I think that's the name, correct me if wrong). He drives a 'Mog buggy, with the quietest exhaust I have ever heard on a rig. I was impressed. The driver and spotter could easily comunicate without yelling. I don't know how Lee and his spotter could comunicate at all. It was very loud. Lee is a fantastic driver, however.

If I were to do it all over again, I would be sure that whoever does your exhaust makes sure that the muffler is tucked up above the framerails. Also, I wouldn't dismiss the option of factory style exhaust, with large tubes but a quiet, factory style muffler. You're not racing, so let's be realistic, the louder exhausts (headers, glass packs, etc.) aren't going to do as much for us as the racing guys.
Ever driven the wheeler to Moab only to be totally fatigued and beat up by the long drive, buffeting winds and loud tires/exhaust? Do your ears a favor.

EZ (huh? what?)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by EZRhino
From the FWIW department:

I run stock manifolds and 2.25' collectors, into a Stormer muffler and 3" from there. It is moderately loud, not too bad, I can't hear my exhaust at the moment because my tires are getting worn and are really noisy.

Consider this:
At UROC I noticed two rigs. One is Lee's.....you know the one....always at 5 grand RPM's, headers and strait pipes(very loud). The second was Jeff Price (I think that's the name, correct me if wrong). He drives a 'Mog buggy, with the quietest exhaust I have ever heard on a rig. I was impressed. The driver and spotter could easily comunicate without yelling. I don't know how Lee and his spotter could comunicate at all. It was very loud. Lee is a fantastic driver, however.

If I were to do it all over again, I would be sure that whoever does your exhaust makes sure that the muffler is tucked up above the framerails. Also, I wouldn't dismiss the option of factory style exhaust, with large tubes but a quiet, factory style muffler. You're not racing, so let's be realistic, the louder exhausts (headers, glass packs, etc.) aren't going to do as much for us as the racing guys.
Ever driven the wheeler to Moab only to be totally fatigued and beat up by the long drive, buffeting winds and loud tires/exhaust? Do your ears a favor.

EZ (huh? what?)

EZ is right on IMHO........FWIW (more from me....shocker...) I'm running a 'race' Flowmaster 60 series at 2.25" and am fairly happy with it's sound level/performance. Unless you're trailering, quiet is better....

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Keep one thing in mind. You can run larger tubes like 3" and 2 1/2" all you want, but if you dont address the intake you are wasting your money.

Moving the air quickly throung the motor is what produces power.
Running 2 1/2 dualls with a stock air cleaner is a waste of time.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I run a 350 in a CJ7. Block huggers into duel 2 1/4 pipes with flowtec terminator mufflers exiting at the rear. I think it sounds great. Idles fairly quiet then when you step on it it roars. Crusing down the highway it does not seem that loud untill you drive close to a sound wall or someting like that then you hear it. I think if I ran it out the side it would bother me. It all fits fine but if I ever do a link suspension it will have to change.