extended wheelbase... How?

dugaljeep

I have a 93 Yj with 7" of lift, 4.56 gears and 35" tires. What is the best way to extend the wheelbase about 5 inches?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
The best way would be links and coils. You can use waggy or F150 leafs. you can drill new holes in your spring pads and ubolt plates. You can drill new holes in your main leafs and slide the rest of the leafs to line up with the new holes. You can relocate your spring and shackle hangers.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by GroceryGetter
won't a SOA and waggy springs flipped push the wheelbase to 99?

Cody
No, this is a big misconception. Waggy leaves are longer than YJ's and you would still have to move perches. Moving your front end is easiest, but you will need to top stear it and possibly move you steering box. you wont be able to move your rear much because of the tank.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Arent waggy springs only 1" longer. I don't know from first hand experience but from what I have read on POR board there are some people that run them without moving the shackle hanger. It also seems like you would only gain an inch of wheelbase on each end so to gain five inches you would need to do more.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
You can move the front forward quite a bit without changing too much. I moved my front axle forward 4 inches without moving the steering box. That may be enough to get the wheelbase you want. To move the rear axle back you will need to move the gas tank or get a smaller one. I moved my rear axle back ten inches by building a coil, four link system with long control arms. I had to move my gas tank up into the tub. Eventually my gas tank will go back underneath, but forward of the axle.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Waggy springs are about 1 1/4 inches longer, and offset by about 1.5". Most guys are running them because they are a much more durable spring, like say if you have a 14 bolt and a 60.