Shop / Tools Extreme Overlander cuisine tip of the day

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
When you're an Extreme Overlander (Truckdriver) you must make special considerations for meals. Here is a great tool for all mobile adventurers, as long as you have a 12 volt receptacle in your adventuring vehicle.

Get yourself a 12 volt oven, or a Trucker's Oven. They are around $30 and can be found at your favorite online retailer. Truck stops carry them too, but eww... gross.
CC16C7B6-655D-48EE-9BAE-E9EF3E250FEA.jpeg

Then get yourself some Michelina's frozen dinners. These are found at every grocery store and they cost $1. These dinners fit perfectly in these ovens.
DA6012F7-9E08-4894-91A2-5EEBE1CFCE45.jpeg
Peel back a corner for air flow and place the container in the oven. It will be suspended between the top and bottom halves of the oven.
847126FF-5AED-41DD-B916-336D811DF9DD.jpeg
Close the lid and plug it in. Dinner is served when you can smell the yummy hot food. Typically about 20-30 minutes.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
These ovens heat up to about 300 degrees and can be used to cook all kinds of stuff. You can buy foil liners at the grocery store the fit them perfectly, which is nice for cooking eggs and other potentially messy meals.

I've had this particular oven for about 1.2 million miles. Seriously.

DAA

Never seen one of those. Pretty nifty!

I'll piggy back on with another simply non extreme car camping cuisine tip. Always keep at least 3 inches between your dead coyotes and your cook surface to avoid cross contamination.

201411_Coyote%20Hunting-26W.jpg

Coyote hunters don't have time to be too fussy.

- DAA

J-mobzz

When I was traveling a ton I would do meal prep in the mini bead pans and just drop them in while I drove to meetings or different locations. It saved tons of money, ate healthier and was super convenient.

MontoPack 100-Pack of Super-Thick Aluminum Mini Loaf Baking Pans - Standard Size 6" x 3.5" Loaf 1LB Cooking Tins - Eco-Friendly Recyclable Aluminum - Portable Food Storage Containers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079MHKLVZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UL-mDb48C3RKR

J-mobzz

When you're an Extreme Overlander (Truckdriver) you must make special considerations for meals. Here is a great tool for all mobile adventurers, as long as you have a 12 volt receptacle in your adventuring vehicle.

Get yourself a 12 volt oven, or a Trucker's Oven. They are around $30 and can be found at your favorite online retailer. Truck stops carry them too, but eww... gross.
View attachment 121106

Then get yourself some Michelina's frozen dinners. These are found at every grocery store and they cost $1. These dinners fit perfectly in these ovens.
View attachment 121107
Peel back a corner for air flow and place the container in the oven. It will be suspended between the top and bottom halves of the oven.
View attachment 121108
Close the lid and plug it in. Dinner is served when you can smell the yummy hot food. Typically about 20-30 minutes.

@Hickey any other go to meals in this thing? I’m headed out on a road trip and looking for ideas.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
@Hickey any other go to meals in this thing? I’m headed out on a road trip and looking for ideas.
We just got back from a Texas trip and we made up a bunch of cheese and brisket burritos to reheat in it. That works super well, but you have to fold up a bunch of tinfoil on the bottom so it doesn't burn the burrito. You can freeze the burritos to help maintain lower temps in your cooler as well.

You can even toss a can of soup or chili in there, just pull the label and any glue residue off the can first.

Reheating any casserole works awesome in there. Takes longer than a microwave, but doesn't mess with the flavor at all and it's easier to pack.

Pizza leftovers work great too. If we hit a restaurant on a trip we will order extra to put in the cooler and reheat later.