F150 Lift Opinions

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
So the latest fleet vehicle is a 2011 F150 I bought to commute back and forth to airport last year. The time has come for me to finally come home and want to get the truck ready for some adventures.

When I bought the truck it had a budget boost spacer leveling kit on the front. Not sure the exact height but think its a 2.5-3 lift. It sits a little to high for me with out a diff drop or control arms. The axles are at a really steep angle and with just a bit of droop the ball joints are maxed. I'd like to keep a little lift as I just put brand new 33's on it before I left.

I've been looking at this kit from BDS

https://bds-suspension.com/product?ma=3&mo=59&ty=1&yr=2009-2013

Specifically the 2in CO kit with new UCA's

I've never had anything from BDS anyone have an opinion?

I know a number of you are driving the same gen F150's what are you running?

Not looking for a hardcore kit, just bombing dirt roads out in the desert and MTB shuttle duties. Also don't want to need a step ladder to get into the rig or bed, planning to purchase a slide in camper in the not too distant future since the used car market is bananas and i'm selling my dude-aru in Hawaii for $100 less than I paid for it 14k miles ago.

Trate D

In the aftermarket lift world BDS is a good choice. They have thicker brackets and crossmembers (4 or 6 inch kits) than most and powder coat is always better. They also almost always include grade 8 hardware for replacement bolts.

The 2 inch CO kit is a great option. The fox drop in replacements will put up with a lot before needing any servicing. Like you stated the upper control arm is a must. These things bind against the strut hard during droop and it helps a ton for upper ball joint wear. The axles survive well with these or even the puck kits, it’s usually the Independent wheel ends (vacuum hubs) that end up going out. I am not aware of any diff drops until you get to full drop crossmember kits...

rholbrook

On my last three F150s I put a leveling kit on them with some 325s and called it good. My current F150, I put the leveling kit on and really didnt go up much in tire size. I'm done pissing away money on that stuff.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
On my last three F150s I put a leveling kit on them with some 325s and called it good. My current F150, I put the leveling kit on and really didnt go up much in tire size. I'm done pissing away money on that stuff.
100% about function not looks. Don't want to scrape my crossmember over every rock that protrudes from the road.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
So I decided for the time being just to remove the lift. While removing I observed the ball joint on the upper control arm was binding at full droop. Also noticed the control arm would hit the coil over prior to full droop. I had to rent a strut compressor to take enough pressure off to remove it even with the swaybar and UCA disconnected. Can’t imagine the ball joint on the UCA would have survived too many adventures.