General Tech Fatigue. It's a real thing.

RockChucker

About a month ago, my fam and I went down to Sand Hollow to play for a few days. The weather was perfect and the trails were good. At some point I halfway broke the breather off my rear axle. I didn't find out until I was all sorts of twisted up in the soup bowl at the end of the Maze. I probably lost almost a quart of oil. Still had a couple days to go though, so I did the smart thing. Duct taped up the hole so no foreign debris could enter with the plan to extract the broken piece when I got home. Didn't successfully drive the soup bowl either. It was getting late and we needed to get back for the evening. Strapped out. Also this stopped the oil draining...

IMG_0454.jpg

I haven't driven my Jeep since the trip, mostly because I didn't know how much oil was still in the the rear axle. So I extracted the broken breather and popped the cover. Good time for an inspection and oil change any way. Rotated the ring gear, and it looked pristine. As I was cleaning the housing out in prep of sealing it back up, I found a few pieces of sadness.
IMG_0940.JPG

Time for a much more thorough inspection. Enter strange yoga positions to see the pinion. And then more sadness.

IMG_0934.JPG
IMG_0935.JPG
IMG_0936.JPG

The Dana 60 pinion is toasted. I can't complain at all though. I installed the gears 6 years ago. And the last three have been absolutely horrific from a red-headed step child beating stand point. So it's time for a freshen up. These gears are 4.56. I'm going to regear both ends to 5.38. I already have to go all the way into the front for new axle seals. So this really was the opportune time?

Anywho. We'll see how the 5.38s hold up. I suspect they won't be as durable. But I have plans for different axles in the works. And this may speed that plan up. Time will tell. I'll keep updating as I pull things further apart. It will be interesting to see how my axle shafts look...

RockChucker

Sucks when you're forced to upgrade and spend money you didn't plan to. Do you think breather pieces ran thru the gears?
I don't think so. The pieces that were in the diff didn't add up to the mass that is missing from the pinion. I suspect that it has been broken for a while. Big tires, bound up rock crawling and go fast mobbing are just hard on parts. I think this is more of a fatigue scenario. It is weird that the ring gear looks pristine though. Luckily the gears didn't cost too much. I've had good luck with motive gear in the past. We'll see how they hold up. The gear that broke was a genuine spicer part.

Ashcat

Think it was Nitro Gear that had an interesting little propaganda video on FB iirc. I’ve never had the opportunity in person to compare side by side 4.88, 5.13 & 5.38. Per the video each set has the same tooth count. It’s only the pinion head itself which is slightly smaller. I wouldn’t worry, I’ve found a lot of pinion teeth off of 3.73 and 4.10 in 60s and 70s.

Edit: reviewed said video and the point of their message was all 3 of those ratios have the same tooth engagement and if properly setup, equally as strong as the next.

Last edited:

joez

Think it was Nitro Gear that had an interesting little propaganda video on FB iirc. I’ve never had the opportunity in person to compare side by side 4.88, 5.13 & 5.38. Per the video each set has the same tooth count. It’s only the pinion head itself which is slightly smaller. I wouldn’t worry, I’ve found a lot of pinion teeth off of 3.73 and 4.10 in 60s and 70s.

Edit: reviewed said video and the point of their message was all 3 of those ratios have the same tooth engagement and if properly setup, equally as strong as the next.

ZUK did a bit on Toyota gears years ago and found the same when it came to 5.71 gears. Setup is more critical on the lower gears, but done right they are every bit as strong.

RockChucker

Got everything apart. I need to go get some race punches so I can get the pinion races out. 3 teeth are missing pieces and a few more are cracked all along the face.
IMG_0960.JPGIMG_0961.JPGIMG_0962.JPGIMG_0964.JPGIMG_0965.JPGIMG_0966.JPG