Fattony 2014 tacoma build

The truck 2014 white double cab trd sport tacoma.
now the list of parts to get.

Interior
cobra 75 wx st for cb radio.
weather tech floor mats.

Exterior
Lift.
Swayaway coildovers with remote reservoir. Allpro rear expo leaf springs. blisten shocks with fox air bumpes mount on Pelfreybilt rear shock relocation mount.
bumpers
Front.
Allpro apex Aluminum bumper with full hoops. with Warn M8000 winch
Rear bumper.
Pelfreybuilt Hi-clearance with swing away. getting built.
sliders.
Allpro Apex sliders
Roof Rack
Prinsu Design studio rack, made the shell one as well.
lights
light force 240 blitz on the front bumper.
Piaa 5370 fog lights.
Willams lighting light bar. 42" dual row with spot and fog.
Tires
35x12.50x17 Maxxis TREPADOR tires.

The list is going to get bigger as time goes on.

The day i drove it home
20140305_190924.jpg

First trip Maze district
20140315_160300.jpg

I am going to be building this truck for overland travel and everything that might get it the way.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
It's not the locker that it is the issue, it's the carrier. The 8" variety which includes the e-locker varieties are more prone to failure (still uncommon) than the 8.4" which has a girdled carrier bearing setup thus preventing deflection and therefore failure. I've got customers that have gone as far as to remove the 8"/e-lock from their TRD's and install an ARB locked 8.4" after experiencing failures. Again, not common but on a heavy (i.e. over GVW which is basically every "overland/expo/insert-your-buzz-word") Tacoma.

FatTony

Cruiseroutfit nail it right on the head. there have to been people braking the ring and pinion of the 8" do to the deflection. The 8.4 has side support to help the diff from moving as much. The only bad side to the 8.4 is that if you wheel it hard you will go thought the limited slip that comes in the diff. pretty quick. The trd package has nicer seats and a few other little things in the cab. You can do fins and things in a stock tacoma but you will drag the rear bumper. I dont think you will hit the belly on anything on that trail. if you had a 3" lift and 33 and sliders you can do hell's revenge with out hitting and thing. I will check back soon if you have any more questions.

DewYota

It's not the locker that it is the issue, it's the carrier. The 8" variety which includes the e-locker varieties are more prone to failure (still uncommon) than the 8.4" which has a girdled carrier bearing setup thus preventing deflection and therefore failure. I've got customers that have gone as far as to remove the 8"/e-lock from their TRD's and install an ARB locked 8.4" after experiencing failures. Again, not common but on a heavy (i.e. over GVW which is basically every "overland/expo/insert-your-buzz-word") Tacoma.

kurt,

how many people have you ran into with this problem? or heard of? i feel like im starting to have an issue with my rear end... nothing confirmed yet, we are going to take a peek in the drums tomorrow to see if anything is haywire, but i dont think its looking good. im just wondering if i can get an opinion before i talk to the warranty guys. I dont want toyota catching on to me, i may be to hard on toyotas, this isnt the first problem ive encountered, i had a problem with an 8.4 before, now its my 8" "cluncking"

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Man, I'd have to really think about it but I can think of a half-dozen that I'm pretty familiar with. Far from common but not unheard of.

DewYota

i had a sport that the spider gears went out on at 6k miles. got it warrantied. and now im in a trd offroad at 12k and im getting nervous. and i have been a lot nicer to this truck then the first one but its being weird. when the tires cant rotate when i have the ebrake set, and i bounce in the bed, the diff clunks but if its sitting on the drivetrain no ebrake it doesnt clunck. i heard it clunking while cruising down a dirt road so i tried to isolate the clunking and thats what i have noticed.

the springs are sagging a little because i have a rtt and rack, so im wondering if the extra weight is making my pinion angle arched up funky.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
That looks great! Assuming thats a Prinsu rack... sure wish he'd get one finished for the 100.

FatTony

Have you talk to prinsu that you want a rack. I can send him a email, you are the second person with a 100 that had asked me

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Yeah I have emailed him about the 100. In fact when one of the 100 guys thats building bumpers on MUD posted up some pics of his in progress 100 rack that was basically a copy of Prinsu's stuff I sent him the link to give him a heads up. He has said for a bit that its coming but doesn't have a date yet. Just as well since sliders are next and I don't have much of a bankroll for mods...