Fattony 2014 tacoma build

The truck 2014 white double cab trd sport tacoma.
now the list of parts to get.

Interior
cobra 75 wx st for cb radio.
weather tech floor mats.

Exterior
Lift.
Swayaway coildovers with remote reservoir. Allpro rear expo leaf springs. blisten shocks with fox air bumpes mount on Pelfreybilt rear shock relocation mount.
bumpers
Front.
Allpro apex Aluminum bumper with full hoops. with Warn M8000 winch
Rear bumper.
Pelfreybuilt Hi-clearance with swing away. getting built.
sliders.
Allpro Apex sliders
Roof Rack
Prinsu Design studio rack, made the shell one as well.
lights
light force 240 blitz on the front bumper.
Piaa 5370 fog lights.
Willams lighting light bar. 42" dual row with spot and fog.
Tires
35x12.50x17 Maxxis TREPADOR tires.

The list is going to get bigger as time goes on.

The day i drove it home
20140305_190924.jpg

First trip Maze district
20140315_160300.jpg

I am going to be building this truck for overland travel and everything that might get it the way.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I had the privledge of riding in this truck this weekend and it is incredible. Not only does it look amazing, but it cruises on the freeway, bajas through the washboards and whoops, and crawls like a champ. What a fantastic vehicle. It is very tastefully and purposefully built. Its nice to see a truck get used the way it does. Not many people can say they've had a lift, armor, replacement tires, and cut the body up before it was due for its first oil change.

FatTony

Did some work on the truck last week. finally put the snorkel on the truck and of course did some camping. Yes my tires put those rocks into my intake the reason for the snorkel.
20140707_173409.jpg20140726_093755.jpg

FatTony

i have done some work in the past two months. got the snorkel put on and get rear end in a parking lot. and of course some camping in between
20140707_173409.jpg20140915_183612.jpg20141004_082119.jpg
those rocks are in my intake.

DewYota

you make me want some 35's. i didnt even know you had a build thread... i got two thousand miles left till my first oil change lets get busy!

FatTony

just a quick update got a new roof rack on and the flippac off. going to be building a bed rack and get a rtt that can sleep more then 2 people. This is how the truck seats today.

FatTony

The flippac can only sleep 2 people nicely three if you want a tight fit. It was to much weight on the bed sides or i just drive to hard to have that much weight there. i am going to be mounting the tent to the bed floor.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Im doing some new rig research and have a couple questions if you don't mind. Earlier in this thread someone asked why you didn't get the "Off Road" trim and you said something about the factory lockers being a weak point. Are there other weak points in the lower non TRD trims that make it worth the upgrade to the TRD? Basically why did you get this TRD rather than a base Taco and start from there? Maybe you know of a write up that spells it all out that you could share with me?

What kind of work needs to be done on a newish (2012-2015 DCSB) to be able to run a trail like Fins and Things?

You've got a great looking rig, thanks for posting up this thread.

sixstringsteve

The ring and pinion on a TRD sport (and surrounding bearings) are slightly larger than on the TRD off-road. Neither is "weak", but the TRD sport rear end is a little stronger. I imagine since cody knew he'd be on 35s, and he wheels this thing hard, he'd want the stronger rear end. Most people buy the sport for the hood scoop alone.

I'm sure a stock tacoma could handle fins n things with a good driver. The biggest downside to the 2nd gen tacos is how long they are. They like to drag belly on some obstacles. So I'd say a good set of belly skids and sliders and you'd be fine for most easy moab trails.

Cody will post up though, he's got a lot more experience with the 2nd gens than I do.

Caleb

Yeah, what Steve said. Really, the only time I've ever heard the TRD locker referred to as weak is in this thread. It may be weaker than some alternatives, but I wouldn't classify it as weak.