Favorite carry?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
If I have to pull my gun, the bad guy has 0.9 seconds before he sees the flash and the lights go out. I don't pull a gun to scare people, I pull it to save my life or someone elses. I'm a hard ass about this but if you think the same way, it could save you lots of trouble in court.

Pretty sure it was a joke....

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Just to beat on a dead horse, always put one in the pipe. When your brains in danger you aren’t going to remember to rack one unless you’ve extensively trained for that on your draw stroke.
Here’s my disagreement. First of all, I understand there are situations where that extra second might mean I get shot in the face. Huge disagreement on the likelihood of those situations actually happening. I don’t live the tactical lifestyle that some people do; the amount of training guys go through so they can effectively use their sidearm to fight their way back to the truck where the REAL guns are, so they can Rambo their way back into taking out the nest of attackers is totally awesome as a hobby, ridiculously useless as practical knowledge for civilians. I can even accept it on philosophical grounds - a well trained militia being the bulwark of safety against an oppressive government. But again, more philosophical than practical.

I’m a landscape architect living in Utah county. My life is not dangerous. I carry a gun 99% because everyone should exercise and respect their rights as Americans to do so, and 1% because I think I might have to use it. Of those scenarios, I’m most concerned about a mass shooting - hardly a Clint Eastwood quickdraw scenario. I have practiced the draw-load-shoot procedure exclusively since I started carrying, so I have no muscle memory of just drawing and clicking a blank trigger.

Ok, so if the glock won’t actually shoot my ‘nads off, why not carry in the pipe JUST TO BE SAFE? Well, I have heard way more stories of kids getting shot accidentally than civilians dying from being 1 second too slow on the draw. With 5 kids in my house, as perfect as I try to be with gun safety, I can’t ignore the greater than zero chance of a kid somehow getting their hands on this gun and pulling the trigger without thinking. The kids old enough to know how to rack the gun are too well trained, I’m not as concerned about them, but little kids scare me. Super small chance? I sure as hell hope so. But it’s not a scenario I can even contemplate. Safer to have no gun? Possibly, but there’s always trade offs. In my view a bullet in the pipe is a net greater risk than not.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Here’s my disagreement. First of all, I understand there are situations where that extra second might mean I get shot in the face. Huge disagreement on the likelihood of those situations actually happening. I don’t live the tactical lifestyle that some people do; the amount of training guys go through so they can effectively use their sidearm to fight their way back to the truck where the REAL guns are, so they can Rambo their way back into taking out the nest of attackers is totally awesome as a hobby, ridiculously useless as practical knowledge for civilians. I can even accept it on philosophical grounds - a well trained militia being the bulwark of safety against an oppressive government. But again, more philosophical than practical.

I’m a landscape architect living in Utah county. My life is not dangerous. I carry a gun 99% because everyone should exercise and respect their rights as Americans to do so, and 1% because I think I might have to use it. Of those scenarios, I’m most concerned about a mass shooting - hardly a Clint Eastwood quickdraw scenario. I have practiced the draw-load-shoot procedure exclusively since I started carrying, so I have no muscle memory of just drawing and clicking a blank trigger.

Ok, so if the glock won’t actually shoot my ‘nads off, why not carry in the pipe JUST TO BE SAFE? Well, I have heard way more stories of kids getting shot accidentally than civilians dying from being 1 second too slow on the draw. With 5 kids in my house, as perfect as I try to be with gun safety, I can’t ignore the greater than zero chance of a kid somehow getting their hands on this gun and pulling the trigger without thinking. The kids old enough to know how to rack the gun are too well trained, I’m not as concerned about them, but little kids scare me. Super small chance? I sure as hell hope so. But it’s not a scenario I can even contemplate. Safer to have no gun? Possibly, but there’s always trade offs. In my view a bullet in the pipe is a net greater risk than not.
This is a very good reason to do what you are doing. I carry with one in the chamber but I highly support your position here. I tell people with kids all the time to NEVER buy a revolver as a carry gun for the reason you stated, kids can just pull the trigger.
I have to admit to being pretty lazy as a CCW guy. I carry the smallest gun I can and I only have 11 rounds on my body because as you said, it's Utah County, the risk is pretty low.

xjtony

My view has always been that you need to be comfortable with how you carry, both physically and mentally. If the only option your comfortable withis to carry Israeli style, that's better than leaving the gun at home because you are worried about carrying with o e in the chamber. Same argument for caliber. A 22 in your pocket is better than the 45 in your dresser that's too big and kicks so you dont want to carry it.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee

I used to think Israeli carry was absolutely stupid, from a tactical advantage standpoint. During a 4 day defensive skills course ranging from BJJ on the mat, to long hours on the pistol range, the head instructor dispelled the myth that Israeli carry is always bad all the time. He mentioned that when around his small children he carried Israeli style - and that opened my eyes. That is certainly not a bad reason to carry with an empty pipe. I don't Israeli carry, but concern for small kids climbing all over you when you get home from work, etc is a valid reason in the name of added safety.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
So out of curiosity, where do you guys carry and what do you consider the strengths and drawbacks of your choice? I'm still shopping holsters but I think I'm favoring OWB 4 o'clock.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
So out of curiosity, where do you guys carry and what do you consider the strengths and drawbacks of your choice? I'm still shopping holsters but I think I'm favoring OWB 4 o'clock.

My go-to is an M&P Shield 9mm in the SGUSA OWB at 2 o'clock. The way that holster is designed to flex, as well as padded, allows it to ride very comfortably right on my hip bone as odd as that might sound. It rides high enough to not hinder sitting or crouching, and as mentioned previously I can easily conceal with a light t-shirt.

One of the main benefits to carrying up front is that you can see what is going on with your setup... anytime I have a firearm out back I'm constantly checking that my shirt hasn't ridden up, hiking my pants cause I have no ass, and generally constantly worrying that I'm printing. Up front the weapon is better in your control because you've got eyes on it's location, and your hands can get there faster. Those are my reasons for preferring up front vs out back.

Kevin B.

My go-to is an M&P Shield 9mm in the SGUSA OWB at 2 o'clock. The way that holster is designed to flex, as well as padded, allows it to ride very comfortably right on my hip bone as odd as that might sound. It rides high enough to not hinder sitting or crouching, and as mentioned previously I can easily conceal with a light t-shirt.

One of the main benefits to carrying up front is that you can see what is going on with your setup... anytime I have a firearm out back I'm constantly checking that my shirt hasn't ridden up, hiking my pants cause I have no ass, and generally constantly worrying that I'm printing. Up front the weapon is better in your control because you've got eyes on it's location, and your hands can get there faster. Those are my reasons for preferring up front vs out back.

The front draw feels more awkward and maybe slower than a draw from the rear. to me. Do you find that too?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm a 2:30 carry person if carrying on my hip (Stealth Gear USA IWB). Depending on circumstances, I ankle carry fairly often. (there are a lot of drawbacks to ankle carry for some but where I sit most of the day and can't run anyway, ankle works for me pretty often for quite a few reasons. Not the most comfortable but it works for me)

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
The front draw feels more awkward and maybe slower than a draw from the rear. to me. Do you find that too?

I find it much faster. Though, practice enough and either can be fast and smooth.

I'm a 2:30 carry person if carrying on my hip (Stealth Gear USA IWB). Depending on circumstances, I ankle carry fairly often. (there are a lot of drawbacks to ankle carry for some but where I sit most of the day and can't run anyway, ankle works for me pretty often for quite a few reasons. Not the most comfortable but it works for me)

I used to ankle carry a lot due to a sales job that had me in a shirt and tie and in/out of schools a lot. It has it's place for sure, and does make a great back up location if you're into carrying a backup gun.

dutchman

KI7KSV

I prefer IWB at around the 4 o’clock position. I’ve got a StealthGear holster and have been happy with it for nearly 7 years. One thing that I feel is important is having a proper belt to help with the additional weight when carrying your pistol. It can make all the difference compared to a standard dress/leather belt.

xjtony

I carry about 4-5 o clock, either IWB or OWB. With my body shape (pear) it seems to conceal the best and is the most comfortable. I think draw training is the most important factor to CCW preparedness. Check out videos online of Israel police and military training. Those guys can draw, load a round, and get on target quicker than I would bet most casual CCW holders (including myself).

Kevin B.

What do you guys feel about IWB holsters with a single clip?

Professional_Site_Glock19.png

That seems like it'd want to shift around a lot.

dutchman

KI7KSV
I can see that. Still doesn't as look as stable at a double clip and I think I can find clips to make mine "tuckable". For a smaller pistol I think that single clip IWB would work well. Not sure I'd like using it for something with a 4-4.5" barrel.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I've carried in a soft single clip IWB for almost 15 years. Doesn't shift around, super comfy, and is like $15. Only downside is requires two hands to re-holster. But if I draw probably not going to be willing to re-holster until i'm in a safe enough position where two hands is not a problem.

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
T1C holsters are amazing, Utah local too