Favorite Cover Songs

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I've always loved a good cover song. Either a modern take on a classic, or a genre change. There's something about the emotional connection to an existing song with a different approach that I've always loved. What are your favorites?

A few of my faves:

I was a child of the 80's and my mom must have played this song a million times. Weezer killed it

There's just something about Johnny Cash's cover songs he did later in life. Hurt was definitely my favorite

Newfound Glory did some cool covers too. This one came out as the boy band era was ending, so I really liked this one because I hated my older sisters listening to boy bands

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member

I'm generally not a fan of Metallica, but Whiskey in a Jar was awesome. Once every few years I'll throw in a Dubliner's CD, so that was one of those genre changes that I really enjoy.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Oh, gee, where do I begin???

There is this guy named Leo Moracchioli. Don't let the Italian name fool you--he's from Norway. Anyway, the dude is into heavy metal music and is a seriously accomplished musician. He plays everything--guitar, bass, drums, plus a host of other instruments. He also owns his own recording studio, named Frog Leap Studios.

The guy loves to cover songs in his own Norwegian metal style, and make videos for them. Sometimes it is just straightforward footage of him performing (sometimes with friends, occasionally his wife joins in, as does his cute-as-a-button daughter on her toy instruments). Sometimes he plays in his studio, sometimes in his living room, sometimes in his kitchen, and occasionally even in his bathroom. Sometimes he goes on location. Sometimes he wears one goofball contact lens, sometimes he wears two; sometimes he wears entire costumes. Sometimes he films puppets "performing" his songs. You never know exactly what you're going to get with Leo, and that's half the fun. Leo has easily become my favorite cover artist.

When I say Leo covers songs, I mean he covers an outrageous range of songs. For example, maybe you're a Beetles fan?

Or maybe Chuck Berry is more your style.

Perhaps you're a child of the '80s?

Or maybe you just prefer Canadian artists.

Looking for something newer, such as Lada Gaga?

He has well over 200 videos uploaded to YT. If you can think of it, Leo has probably covered it. Just search for 'metal covers by Leo' and lose yourself for a few hours.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Oh, gee, where do I begin???

There is this guy named Leo Moracchioli. Don't let the Italian name fool you--he's from Norway. Anyway, the dude is into heavy metal music and is a seriously accomplished musician. He plays everything--guitar, bass, drums, plus a host of other instruments. He also owns his own recording studio, named Frog Leap Studios.

The guy loves to cover songs in his own Norwegian metal style, and make videos for them. Sometimes it is just straightforward footage of him performing (sometimes with friends, occasionally his wife joins in, as does his cute-as-a-button daughter on her toy instruments). Sometimes he plays in his studio, sometimes in his living room, sometimes in his kitchen, and occasionally even in his bathroom. Sometimes he goes on location. Sometimes he wears one goofball contact lens, sometimes he wears two; sometimes he wears entire costumes. Sometimes he films puppets "performing" his songs. You never know exactly what you're going to get with Leo, and that's half the fun. Leo has easily become my favorite cover artist.

When I say Leo covers songs, I mean he covers an outrageous range of songs. For example, maybe you're a Beetles fan?

Or maybe Chuck Berry is more your style.

Perhaps you're a child of the '80s?

He's been shared on here before, my favorite of his....