Favorite winter trail

Omgbecki

Hey guys. I am wondering your favorite winter trail. Any in northern utah? I've wanted to go winter riding all my life. Somewhere I really have to plan ahead for. Somewhere I can maybe spend a night or 2. Any stories or spots?

Omgbecki

Also. About tire chains. Has anyone used them? My mind says they are just for ice. Do they help in snow? I know that a spinning tire in snow creates heat and pressure that can actually make it turn slick like ice. Is that all they are for?

DAA

Only real regret with my setup, not enough clearance for chains. The snow it could go through with all four of the factory 31s chained and both axles locked was incredible. Once a million years ago we chained up all four on two Chevy 3/4 tons and hooked them together with a tow bar and did some really stupid stuff in mud, unstoppable.

- DAA

Omgbecki

Is there a local place I can buy tire chains for my 33s? I've found them online but always try local first

DAA

I imagine actual chains are better than cables for proper snow frolicking?

I'd think so, but I bet cables would do pretty good too. Like the V-bar chain type myself. Farm store would be a good bet, Smith and Edwards maybe, or I have seen them at tire stores but I think those are going to be the euro cable type not the real chains.

I rarely do trails in the snow, so I'm no help with that. I do a lot of travelling offroad, exploring and camping in the snow, but almost never just go for a trail ride. Last year we didn't hardly get any snow, but I got in some pretty awesome snow wheeling out in the Deep Creeks and down in the Henrys.

- DAA

DAA

Wow... I don't know what key I hit, but that posted like three times, bam-bam-bam! Deleted a couple of them, hopefully only one left showing...

- DAA

Omgbecki

Hahaha. That's what i'm trying to do. Not really a specific trail but I want to do some snow wheeling and maybe a night over. I've heard out west us pretty accommodating.