Fawlty Towers - new trail at Sand Hollow

LJTim

Over the past few months a few of us have been working to establish a new trail at Sand Hollow. For those of you familiar with the area and people down there, I'll give you some background. Under the direction of Kim Pollock, the need for another 7-rated trail was needed in hopes to divert some traffic from Fault Line and West Rim trails. 7 & 8 rated trails also seem to be some of the most popular trails at Winter 4x4 Jamboree. Bill Christensen has been a key player in this effort, as he has been to all but 1-2 passes through the development of the trail. I was fortunate enough to be asked to assist in this effort as 7-8 rated trails are my faves, plus I spend way too much time down there, so I think they figured it would be easy to talk me into the task.

A good thing about this trail is how it ventures through some common areas, so if you have ever freestyled through some of the areas of Fault Line, Johnny's Hot Tub and West Rim trails, you may have seen at least one of these obstacles that may have been optional routes on the aforementioned trails. The trail starts at the same location as Fault Line trail, after passing the first notable ledge, you take the far left steep chute up the hill, then up the nasty hill at the top of the hill, then winds through the hill and takes a significantly off-camber climb up to a huge rock that you either climb over with your passenger tire, or if you like to leave your rear bumper as untouched as possible, you can trade for an off-camber route around the driver's side of the rock. I don't know if anything smaller than a 37" tire would make it over the rock.

After completing the Fault Line area, you'll head up to Johnny's Tub, and take your pick through some of the optional routes out via the steep wall (short wheel based vehicles beware, many have tumbled over backwards on this obstacle), the nasty ledges (can't crawl your way up this), or the easy way out. After then taking the fast dirt road for a few minutes, you'll drop down into the West Rim area. Our goal was to keep the vehicles on the upper portion of that area as much as possible to avoid any conflicts with the West Rim vehicles. This goal is accomplished for 90% of the trail. The bulk of the trail occurs on both sides of the main Boulevard and takes on lots of notches and waterfalls - both up and down.

The trail finishes at the Rock Garden play area. However, instead of turning drivers loose to unsupervised fun, we have mapped a fluid route through the playground, and even developed 2 new climbs as part of this official trail.

Think Sliplock, John's Trail and Poison Spider and the obstacles of Hell's Revenge all combined. There are lots of obstacles throughout the entire trail. Although a few of us argued it should be a 7-rated trail, we knew it was pushing it with 3 obstacles that definitely push the 7 rating. After recently taking Gil Meacham and Jeff Bieber through the trail, they both affirm, this is an 8-rated trail. 35" tires and 2 lockers is a minimum to handle the trail without too much drama. There are also several blind climbs and drops, so first-timers should humbly accept assistance from a trusted spotter.

Fawlty Towers debuts at the 2019 Winter 4x4 Jamboree. After the event, I will post the GPS track in the Trail Maps section. If you are interested in running trail at the event, it will be running all 3 days. I'll be on it the Saturday of the event, and I'd love to meet anyone on here (as I only know a handful of you in person). Enjoy the pics (I can only take credit for half of them).

Attachments

• 1-IMG_8856.JPG
    1-IMG_8856.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
  • 2-IMG_8858.JPG
    2-IMG_8858.JPG
    770.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 3-IMG_8860.JPG
    3-IMG_8860.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
  • 4-IMG_8862.JPG
    4-IMG_8862.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
  • 5-IMG_8863.JPG
    5-IMG_8863.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
  • 6-IMG_8874.JPG
    6-IMG_8874.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
  • 7-IMG_8882.JPG
    7-IMG_8882.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
  • 8-IMG_8883.JPG
    8-IMG_8883.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
  • 9-IMG_8885.JPG
    9-IMG_8885.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
  • 10-IMG_8910.PNG
    10-IMG_8910.PNG
    318.8 KB · Views: 84

LJTim

More pics

Attachments

• 11-IMG_8911.PNG
    11-IMG_8911.PNG
    411.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 14-IMG_8917.PNG
    14-IMG_8917.PNG
    364.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 13-IMG_8916.PNG
    13-IMG_8916.PNG
    420 KB · Views: 58
  • 12-IMG_8912.PNG
    12-IMG_8912.PNG
    449.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 15-IMG_8919.PNG
    15-IMG_8919.PNG
    373.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 16-IMG_9390.JPG
    16-IMG_9390.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
  • 17-IMG_9392.JPG
    17-IMG_9392.JPG
    706.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 18-IMG_9394.JPG
    18-IMG_9394.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
  • 19-IMG_9396.JPG
    19-IMG_9396.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
  • 20-IMG_9784.JPG
    20-IMG_9784.JPG
    507.9 KB · Views: 56

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Very Cool. Thanks for all your work!

Thinking about it, I have see you drive so I can see where you might think a 8 is really a 7. You tend to make things look easy! :D

smfulle

We're probably going to have a group of flat fenders at Sand Hollow first week of April. Maybe we can try this new one out. It looks fun and challenging. We can tell you if 35s are truly "required." Pictures look really awesome.

LJTim

We're probably going to have a group of flat fenders at Sand Hollow first week of April. Maybe we can try this new one out. It looks fun and challenging. We can tell you if 35s are truly "required." Pictures look really awesome.
It's not about "if you don't have XX, you can't complete this trail." I think these tire/locker requirement disclaimers are more about providing some general guidelines for first timers, or those joining groups at events. Nothing is more frustrating than 25 rigs lined up, and one of them can't get passed because they didn't have the appropriate equipment. Double Sammy has similar requirements, and I'm certain I could get through that trail with 33's and no lockers. Wait... I have. I've seen a few pics of you guys recently doing Pritchett, so I'm sure you'll have a blast on whatever trail you pick - trails that the general population of off-roaders wouldn't normally handle.

smfulle

It's not about "if you don't have XX, you can't complete this trail." I think these tire/locker requirement disclaimers are more about providing some general guidelines for first timers, or those joining groups at events. Nothing is more frustrating than 25 rigs lined up, and one of them can't get passed because they didn't have the appropriate equipment. Double Sammy has similar requirements, and I'm certain I could get through that trail with 33's and no lockers. Wait... I have. I've seen a few pics of you guys recently doing Pritchett, so I'm sure you'll have a blast on whatever trail you pick - trails that the general population of off-roaders wouldn't normally handle.

I understand and hope I didn’t come across as too arrogant or flippant. One of the reasons we usually stick to our mostly flat fender herd is that we know that sometimes we take a little longer to get through stuff than bigger rigs, but that is part of the fun for us. Working out ways to get through things that most people think we can’t.

Thanks for the work on this new trail. Looking forward to more details and in seeing it live.

LJTim

I understand and hope I didn’t come across as too arrogant or flippant. One of the reasons we usually stick to our mostly flat fender herd is that we know that sometimes we take a little longer to get through stuff than bigger rigs, but that is part of the fun for us. Working out ways to get through things that most people think we can’t.

Thanks for the work on this new trail. Looking forward to more details and in seeing it live.
No offense taken. I know you have been around long enough to be past any arrogant comments some folks in our sport enjoy.

LJTim

Ran this today, fun trail and with a little snow it took some work to get through it. Its a great addition to the trails.
I meant to run it yesterday as well. Sounds like Bill still ran it. I’ll bet it was tricky with the snow glaze. I bet the off camber section on the south side of the fault line was a bit slick. What other spots were extra challenging with the conditions?

pkrfctr

I meant to run it yesterday as well. Sounds like Bill still ran it. I’ll bet it was tricky with the snow glaze. I bet the off camber section on the south side of the fault line was a bit slick. What other spots were extra challenging with the conditions?
All of them. There was a good layer of snow on everything so all the climbs took extra effort. I dont think any of us got through without trying 3-4 times to get over obstacles and we were all on 40's. I could see with it dry that it would all be crawlable though. We even bypassed one due to snow and we weren't sure any of us could get up it.

smfulle

Any trail map or coordinates for this yet? Heading down the 1st week in April and would like to try it out.
The Carto guys haven’t added it to their map yet. Same thing for Wayne’s Wirld.

LJTim

Any trail map or coordinates for this yet? Heading down the 1st week in April and would like to try it out.
The Carto guys haven’t added it to their map yet. Same thing for Wayne’s Wirld.
I'd be happy to share my track for Fawlty, but there will likely be changes to the official Jamboree route. All 3 days at Jamboree, we skipped the Fault Line area. And we exited through the dunes, instead of doubling back to the Fault Line.

smfulle

I'd be happy to share my track for Fawlty, but there will likely be changes to the official Jamboree route. All 3 days at Jamboree, we skipped the Fault Line area. And we exited through the dunes, instead of doubling back to the Fault Line.

Well, we won't be on anything official. Just want to get to the obstacles and get back out. I have the Carto West Rim map so we should be ok to get in and out.