FE501s

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
My favorite desert tire is still the Kenda Parker DT. Lasts a long time and has good traction through the entire life of the tire. Speaking of that, does anybody have any interest in 120/90-19 Parker DT? Kenda sent me the 19’s instead of 18’s last year for Vegas to Reno and they are just laying around. I have 2 of them that I would let go of for $40 each. Kind of an oddball size but thought i would throw it out there.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I wasn’t a fan of the Tusk recon. Forward traction was good but it had zero braking traction for me.

I put a tusk emex on my wife’s 150 xcw and I really really like it. I would run it on my bike but like Derek, I can’t get over the IRC gekkota Ve33s

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have been running the Tusk Emex T-45 on the rear of my 300 for two race seasons. I got a full season out of the last one, this one isn't going to make it but I have been riding more this year. They work great for desert rocky terrain and they are cheap. I really like the Parker DT and ran them for a couple seasons at Paul's recommendation. Like Paul says, they hook up well to the very end. f you are doing pavement miles, that tire will hold up great. I only stopped running them because RMATV doesn't stock them and I usually impulse buy new tires when I am picking up other parts. I am thinking about running a Recon for the summer for single track in the mountains but haven't swapped one on yet.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Went for a scoot yesterday racked up some fun miles in Southern Idaho. I got super lucky too…. Bike ran great until it didn’t! It started with a wack at the throttle and it died. Instantly restarted. Roll on throttle—die. Whack the throttle—die. Sometimes it would sometimes not but more often bad than good. Got lucky because I was able to coast it to the truck. Had it happened any earlier I was in some nasty singletrack and I think the bike would still be there haha.

I think I have fuel delivery issues going on at least it sure acts like it. The TacoMoto in-line pressure gauge (the only gauge I know of that’s in-line) is out of stock which really sucks so it’ll be awhile before I can properly diagnose it. I’ve heard the stock filters can crack and not hold pressure maybe I should pull the tank and look at it?

Kinda annoyed 😒. Bike has just over a thousand miles on it. Oh well part of the game I suppose.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
If it has the quick connect coupler on the fuel line, check the fuel filter that is in that connection. It does not take much to clog it and probably should be changed every few tanks of fuel.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
If it has the quick connect coupler on the fuel line, check the fuel filter that is in that connection. It does not take much to clog it and probably should be changed every few tanks of fuel.

Thanks I keep a few in my pack now after a bike died on us last year because one plugged. I swapped it out in the trail but it didn’t help. I don’t understand that small filter it’s tiny—tiny and kinda redundant haha.

Luckily the TacoMoto pressure gauge was in stock last night so I ordered one yay. Hope it helps it wasn’t cheap but it’ll be a nice tool to have.

Gotta get this thing sorted out!

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Thanks I keep a few in my pack now after a bike died on us last year because one plugged. I swapped it out in the trail but it didn’t help. I don’t understand that small filter it’s tiny—tiny and kinda redundant haha.

Luckily the TacoMoto pressure gauge was in stock last night so I ordered one yay. Hope it helps it wasn’t cheap but it’ll be a nice tool to have.

Gotta get this thing sorted out!
Then I would say you are on the right track with the fuel pump.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Received my fuel pressure gauge from Taco Moto! Those dudes are cool I’d recommend them to anyone.

I’m nervous to try it out… what if fuel pressure isn’t the issue?! Haha stay tuned.

Edit: If any of you guys need to borrow it I’d be happy to pay shipping. Fits most efi Berg, KTM and Huq—likely others. No sense in buying one if it’s already in the family 😎

9A4B28E5-D082-4658-8278-B0DC660E469B.jpeg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Welp I ran the fuel pressure gauge and it’s dead nuts on 50psi with or without the throttle so that’s good.

Not sure where to turn. I could take it to the dealer I guess, but I’d very much rather troubleshoot it on my own. I had the interface and software for a previous Husky but it’s different than the one I have now. Not even sure if that stuff is available to me…. Kinda lame kinda lame 😒

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Called the dealer and they said they would throw filters in it first. I already changed the small in-line filter and ordered a new intank filter I’ll give that a shot when it gets here. Maybe I have the pressure but not the volume?

The dealer seemed 100% clueless. Dang.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I just pulled the intank filter. A bunch of black fuel came out. I can blow through the filter but not very well. Might be on to something here lol. I hope so anyway

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Well boys I figured it out. Kinda feel dumb! It was the intank fuel filter. Weird that I had fuel pressure the whole time—throttle or not. I guess I had the pressure but not the volume? Hmm.

I went with an all metal Napa Gold 3095 and it fit perfectly.

Back in action! Maybe I’ll carry a spare? I’d hate to pull that pump on the trail—oye. Kinda miss the ol’ reliable Dellorto carb on my last bike haha.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I’ve seen worse 🤔. Hmm…

I dunno what to think. I’m sure the black is from the pump bedding in. Either way she’s running so I’m not going to worry too much.

F56722B8-2BC9-4BE1-9118-E5D46BAFB654.jpeg

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Hey @Rot Box do you mind a quick hijack/weigh in on this bike?

I’m looking for a new bike and have it pretty well narrowed down to this family of bikes (fe501s, fe350s, and the exc-f). The bulk of my riding will be riding around Moab, riding to the trails. Also a few times a year with family to sand dunes and AFC single track.

I feel like I’ve read all the internet opinions on 350 v 500, and am still left stumped. Most agree the 500 is better on street and wide open areas, the techy slow trails are where the opinions abound. Some say the 500 lugs better, some say the 350 is easier to ride. I’m not opposed to rekluse…

Did you have the same debate, or were you 500 and never look back?

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
No I was team 501 from the get go haha. Always been a fan of the big bores. The 350 would be sweet on the trail but I (for a big bore 4T) don’t feel the bikes weight on the single track it’s featherlight for what it is and it’ll lug down to a snails pace. It’s not the most powerful bike out there either—not the arm ripping power you get from the motocross 450’s or 500 two strokes. More linear and smooth but plenty of get up and go when you roll on the throttle.

If you plan on dunes I’d recommend the 500/501. And remember these bikes are super super lean from the factory I’d recommend the GET ecu or the piggy back tuner like I have along with the intake and exhaust mods (free). Really helps the bike breath.

You are more than welcome to take mine out for a test ride before making your decision!