FE501s

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Hey guys are you still riding? I just picked up a 2020 FE501s. I’ve never owned a bike that wasn’t 10+ years old so it’s a huge jump for me. Can’t wait to get it in the dirt. I’ll try to share some ride reports and upgrades in the future :cool:

So far I trimmed off the massive license plate holder that was just asking to get torn off by the rear tire. Also added some cycra hand guards and a 3.9 gallon tank is on its way which should help with range quite a bit compared to the small stock tank.

Good times

Attachments

• 042D470E-ED20-4F0A-8374-103CD01E0CDB.jpeg
    042D470E-ED20-4F0A-8374-103CD01E0CDB.jpeg
    587 KB · Views: 60
  • DDD00EC1-03A1-4724-A595-9EDD29891ECE.jpeg
    DDD00EC1-03A1-4724-A595-9EDD29891ECE.jpeg
    471.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 5C9B521B-27EE-49FF-BF64-CC441E020032.jpeg
    5C9B521B-27EE-49FF-BF64-CC441E020032.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 56

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
What a great bike! I've got a 2019 TX300 so I think the look is great!
Sicass makes some good flush mount lights that won't melt off with the exhaust like the stock stalk ones.
I don't think The FE 501 comes with rim locks so look into that. And balance the tires afterwards.
The stock TKC80 tires are a fine dual sport tire but pretty abismal for real trail riding. The rear really steps out when you get it sideways. I've got a tusk adv rear that was meant for my 690 before I sold it if you'd like to give it a try for EL Cheapo.

Make sure you get with me on stuff like that tank if you want some discounted parts. I can get you an invite to the exc/Fe FB group for more info on uncorking that thing. The stock ecu on 2020s are locked up tight so the only real way you can benefit from mods is an aftermarket ecu or inline tuner.

Last edited:

Vonski

nothing to see here...
What a great bike! I've got a 2019 TX300 so I think the look is great!
Sicass makes some good flush mount lights that won't melt off with the exhaust like the stock stalk ones.
I don't think The FE 501 comes with rim locks so look into that. And balance the tires afterwards.
The stock TKC80 tires are a fine dual sport tire but pretty abismal for real trail riding. The rear really steps out when you get it sideways. I've got a tusk adv rear that was meant for my 690 before I sold it if you'd like to give it a try for EL Cheapo.

Make sure you get with me on stuff like that tank if you want some discounted parts. I can get you an invite to the exc/Fe FB group for more info on uncorking that thing. The stock ecu on 2020s are locked up tight so the only real way you can benefit from mods is an aftermarket ecu or inline tuner.

Yep, remove the rediculous screen/reed cage inside the air boot, add an FMF or quality silencer, and a JD tuner for 10-11 HP. Those are actual dyno results, not just estimations.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks guys good info. Gravy thanks for the heads up on discount parts. Flush blinkers and tires are on my list for sure. The bike came with a bundle of parts and rim locks were included. I’d like to uncork it but I’m hoping I can just ride it for now. Unless it flames out and runs super lean (I’m sure it will).

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So Mike Spurgin just put up Dyno results for the 2020s and the stock uncorked 500s ktm/husky made 33.something whp. That's less than the 2013s by 7hp. That's less than a 350!
Uncorked was almost 51. (Aftermarket ECU)
They've neutered the poor bikes to pass euro4 sound and emissions regs. 17 HP an is unbelievable gain.
The good news: end cap, intake reed cage delete, and piggyback tuner is about all you need. (+13hp)
To make the bike run smoother, no flameouts and more reliably starting when cold, better running(not dangerously lean). EVAP and EGR delete will net you almost 5lbs weight loss too.
I did similar stuff to my 690 and it was night and day.

I changed my giant cat/exhaust combo on my Ducati Scrambler a couple months ago for a Werkes USA cone setup. 19lbs less. 19!

Euro4 is crazy!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Installed the 3.9 gallon Acerbis tank today. Not sure How I feel about the bulge in top but I’m done having kids so it doesn’t matter too much I guess.

I only have six miles on the bike and I can tell how lean it is. Thinking I’ll get the JD or BDS tuner for it once they’re off back order.

Attachments

• 6CFFFDDB-B0D7-456B-89A1-56F1B046DD6A.jpeg
    6CFFFDDB-B0D7-456B-89A1-56F1B046DD6A.jpeg
    406.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 626B3FAA-DED6-419E-89C2-FBE05F3E6669.jpeg
    626B3FAA-DED6-419E-89C2-FBE05F3E6669.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 2610BCF5-C186-4723-BADA-7C70BD95A5D1.jpeg
    2610BCF5-C186-4723-BADA-7C70BD95A5D1.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 47

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I was finally able to get some trail time on the Husky. One of the more technical trails I’ve done in quite some time! So the ‘tour of idaho’ trail passes through this area of southern Idaho. The guys that complete that one are hero’s haha.

love the bike so far. I’ve slowed down a lot in the last few years and the bike was super forgiving so that’s a plus.148DA6AD-1161-418E-9571-EE3DE10E62C9.jpegAA05FB50-02CA-4596-ABC1-3F1675001757.jpeg

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Awe man… got right to the trailhead today to unload and realized my front tire was flat. Worse things have happened but upon further inspection I realized most of my spokes were loose—very very loose. I think I must have poked my tube with one or something. Shame on me for not checking them. I’ve never owned a bike that’s had the spokes come loose before so I never (again shame on me I know better) really check them. And the bike is a 2020 with 800 miles so I’m not sure why they’d be this loose? Anyway…

So just snug them up or do I need a torque wrench? I want to do it right and I’ll be sure to keep an eye on them from now on.

I found out the hard way that my air pump is bad too. What’s the preferred brand? I’d like a mechanical pump vs co2. Something that’ll fit in my backpack would be really nice. Thanks for any help!

Tonkaman

I’ve never had a big failure with spokes either. I’ve noticed the guys that do usually have a more aggressive riding style.

if it were my wheel I’d remove the tire/tube/ rim strip to inspect everything inside. Look for any cracks in the wheel near the spoke holes, broken spoke holes at the hub, and for broken spokes. You’d be surprised how well broken spokes can stay in position since they are all laced together.

Using a torque wrench on the spokes can be a bit tricky. If the spokes haven’t been moved since the day the wheel was assembled they may have enough corrosion on them to make the spoke tension uneven under equal torque. That is a long winded way of saying check your “tight” spokes first to determine if they move freely first.

For air pumps id just go to a good bike shop. They typically carry good brands with compact and efficient designs. I like park tools compact pump myself.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Torque wrench will get you close. Like Derek said if there's corrosion it throws it off a little. I like to listen and get them to all have the same pitch when I tap them.

You can ziptie a sharpie to the fork leg to get an idea if your wheel is out of round too.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Use an every third spoke pattern for tightening them and keeping the wheel true. I start at the rim lock then skip 2 spokes. Do this all the way around until you com back around. Go to the 2nd spoke after the rim lock and repeat. Go to e third spoke after the rim lock and repeat. You have now tightened all the spikes in a even pattern that should keep the wheel true

I use a Fasst company torque wrench.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks for the help you guys!

Kinda bummed I couldn’t go for a ride but I used yesterday as an excuse to get some maintenance done on the bike. I pumped the front tire up and it’s holding air just fine not sure why it went flat maybe it’s a fluke or something 🤔 I’m running the 4mil tubes so it would take a lot to pop one I think

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I just ordered a JD Tuner for the ol’ girl! These bikes are super lean and restricted in stock form it’s surprising they run at all and I can’t wait to uncork it. These tuners have been on back order since I bought the bike glad to finally get my hands on one—well hopefully it’s in the mail.

Another option was to replace the entire ecu but it was $230 compared to $900 so I hope the tuner does the job—it should.

I’ll do a write up when I start pulling the plugs out of the exhaust and intake. It’s weird the intake actually has a reed cage inside it like two stroke lol.