FE501s

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
100% recluse eitherway on a 4t off-road IMO. I can get you foolios a deal FYI, but I gotta buy two (not necessarily the same model).
I would still strongly recommend a xcf or fe over an exc or fe s. Since we can street legal whatever you want in Utah, there is no appreciable gear ratio difference (off-road) and they aren't poorly mapped, shod with hard DOT tires and strangled with emissions equipment.

It's cheaper to convert an off-road unit to on road legal than a dual sport to true off-road use.

Just as an FYI the 350xc makes 52 hp! So more than the 501fes or 500exc. But there is not a wrong choice here. They both rip.

@Cascadia has more hours on a 350 than most any other human so he might chime in with an opinion.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Went for one hell of a ride yesterday! Single track Richard’s Hollow here in cache valley.

Met some new people—Check out this cliff the dude on the KTM fell off! A little too much throttle I missed it by seconds. It took all five of us to get it back on the trail. Pics do the angle no justice! Luckily nobody was hurt just a mangled two stroke pipe..

B85CE491-4BCA-4F98-B230-9F52002FD88E.jpegA17FECBF-DE51-4E4F-AA8A-5D43D343F7D2.jpegA1A5C58C-C857-4610-BCF4-FCE1A4B9CA83.jpegC2B86797-C3DE-4F6A-B7B4-99B691C6BDE3.jpegA1CE0DF2-D0BE-499E-8946-8B1D08A9F65B.jpeg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
As for me I made it 3/4 the way through the trail before my bike sputtered out and finally died—eff me! Worst spot ever to be dead in the water. My friend stayed back and helped me push, pull, drag, carry and tow my bike back to the truck. Im so sore today it’s not even funny!

No idea what’s wrong. Fuel pump turns on and I have pressure. Both filters are brand new. Miss the ol’ two stroke days where when something failed you knew exactly what it was and how to fix it haha. These new efi bikes are lame 😂

Here’s some pics of the ol’ girl. At least the scenery was spectacular and the temps were a little cooler than normal being overcast. Trying to stay positive but damn haha.

2A669D2C-39FB-49E2-BCBF-F7636A4BBA14.jpeg696AD275-5BCD-4579-B6D1-DF7DFA57F7A7.jpegD5E249E7-6ABD-4E91-9907-2B33A79B4000.jpeg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Well I just dropped the ol’ girl off at the dealership. Wish me luck!

I’ve been eying down the new Yamaha WR450F’s…. Wish they had that sixth gear 🤔

I dunno am I overreacting? I feel like this bike is too new to have this many problems. Love-love-love the bike and it fits my every need but the thought of pushing it out of another canyon—too old for that shit!

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I hate to say it but the easy choice is buying a pre 17 500. The emissions nonsense (including tuning) is what kills reliability in off-road bikes.

You can also join the KTM EXC group that taco moto has on Facebook. It's a good resource.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Well my bike is back from the dealership and it runs now. They said I had water in the plugs on my tuner.

I’m not saying they’re right or they’re wrong but I bypassed the tuner like eight times. No signs of water. Did not run when bypassed. Thankfully they didn’t charge me much for their diagnostics 😎

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks guys. I plugged the tuner back in and sure enough it doesn’t run.

So I don’t get why it would not run when I bypassed the tuner on the trail but whatever it’s running now.

I posted the bike for sale. Will disclose all this with the potential buyer. We’ll see what happens.

What do I get next? Thinking I’ll get an off-road/cross country model and convert it to street legal to avoid the emissions headaches.

Kinda eying down the Beta’s… Or a newer WR450. Has to be a four stroke. What do you guys think?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Thanks guys. I plugged the tuner back in and sure enough it doesn’t run.

So I don’t get why it would not run when I bypassed the tuner on the trail but whatever it’s running now.

I posted the bike for sale. Will disclose all this with the potential buyer. We’ll see what happens.

What do I get next? Thinking I’ll get an off-road/cross country model and convert it to street legal to avoid the emissions headaches.

Kinda eying down the Beta’s… Or a newer WR450. Has to be a four stroke. What do you guys think?
I have nothing against Betas but for what you want I think the Yamaha is a proven motor and has more aftermarket support.