feedback on hobart handler 190 with spool gun

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I am looking at picking up a new welder that is a letle fast and can handle thicker stuff than my lincoln. I love my lincoln just ready for an upgrade.

been looking at this Hobart because the price is right and the spool gun to weld aluminum seems awesome.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler190/

you can pick up the welder with the spool gun in a kit for about 850 bucks.

Any better options in the same price range + or - a few hundred bucks?

Hobart welders in general? I only have experience with Lincoln and Miller.

Too Far

parts is parts
I have had the handler 175 for 10 or 15 years now. It looks like the 190 is probably derived from the 175. The only major problem I have had with mine is this little thermal overload device on the circuit board. It seems as this was a fairly wide spread problem at the time. The welder would shut off feed because this switch would open at completely random times. The easy fix for me was just to jump around this device with a clip lead, it has worked fine since. I am sure that Hobart has fixed this since then. The gun and cable are also on the hobby side of the scale, mine came with a miller branded gun. My gun hasn't let me down yet, so I have no complaints.
My only warning would be to tell you to be realistic with your expectations. Mine will weld 1/4" OK "if" I bevel the edges first.
Having a spool gun would be great! The ability to weld aluminum is pretty sweet. An entry level AC tig is still pretty expensive.
If you are upgrading from a 120v mig you will be happy with the 190.

Still. All this being said, if I had to do it over again I would want to get into the 250 amp range. This usually gets you into a little bigger frame size with the corresponding upgrades to gun and wire feed mechanism. There have been some really good deals come across ksl on lightly used equipment.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have no problems in general with Hobart, people I know that have them are happy with them.

Extra power will be nice with a spool gun, AL takes quite a bit of juice to weld. Since it's a small-case welder, the 110v option might be really nice from time to time. (hotel parking lot in Moab, for example)

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
get the handler 210,
It's built off the miller 211 autoset. I love mine and I'll eventually get a spool gun for it too. and I love that I can use 110v when I want to (like when I need to weld something in the driveway and need it on a long extension cord).

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have had the handler 175 for 10 or 15 years now. It looks like the 190 is probably derived from the 175. The only major problem I have had with mine is this little thermal overload device on the circuit board. It seems as this was a fairly wide spread problem at the time. The welder would shut off feed because this switch would open at completely random times. The easy fix for me was just to jump around this device with a clip lead, it has worked fine since. I am sure that Hobart has fixed this since then. The gun and cable are also on the hobby side of the scale, mine came with a miller branded gun. My gun hasn't let me down yet, so I have no complaints.
My only warning would be to tell you to be realistic with your expectations. Mine will weld 1/4" OK "if" I bevel the edges first.
Having a spool gun would be great! The ability to weld aluminum is pretty sweet. An entry level AC tig is still pretty expensive.
If you are upgrading from a 120v mig you will be happy with the 190.

Still. All this being said, if I had to do it over again I would want to get into the 250 amp range. This usually gets you into a little bigger frame size with the corresponding upgrades to gun and wire feed mechanism. There have been some really good deals come across ksl on lightly used equipment.

Good to hear from someone that own one.

get the handler 210,
It's built off the miller 211 autoset. I love mine and I'll eventually get a spool gun for it too. and I love that I can use 110v when I want to (like when I need to weld something in the driveway and need it on a long extension cord).

the power of the bigger one with the flexibility of the smaller would be nice.

I have no problems in general with Hobart, people I know that have them are happy with them.

Extra power will be nice with a spool gun, AL takes quite a bit of juice to weld. Since it's a small-case welder, the 110v option might be really nice from time to time. (hotel parking lot in Moab, for example)

I think I am leaning toward the 210 with spool gun.

I dont need to weld in parking lots, I carry a lot of ratchet straps:p

GOAT

Back from the beyond
i had the hobart 180 for about five years and overall, it was a decent machine. i didn't like the fixed settings for the heat but that was only a minor gripe. i welded primarily 3/16-1/4 steel and it never failed, and only overheated once when i was lincoln locking my D70.

My welder progression went as follows.

Lincoln 135 amp

Hobart 180 amp

Miller 250 amp

The difference was equally noticeable on each welder. I wont go back to a <200 amp welder, but thats just me.

Worth looking into:

http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/500553.html

I would also stop by and see jake@airgas. they have some killer deals on floor and demo units;)

mesha

By endurance we conquer
i had the hobart 180 for about five years and overall, it was a decent machine. i didn't like the fixed settings for the heat but that was only a minor gripe. i welded primarily 3/16-1/4 steel and it never failed, and only overheated once when i was lincoln locking my D70.

My welder progression went as follows.

Lincoln 135 amp

Hobart 180 amp

Miller 250 amp

The difference was equally noticeable on each welder. I wont go back to a <200 amp welder, but thats just me.

Worth looking into:

http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/500553.html

I would also stop by and see jake@airgas. they have some killer deals on floor and demo units;)

I am leaning toward the 210 unit now. The dual voltage would be nice and the ability to get the optional spool gun for it would be great.

I am wondering if the auto set on some of the millers would be nice.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The auto set is pretty dang cool. I was really amazed just how well it worked on varying material thickness's.

which miller unit are you running?

I am also looking at the miller 211 with auto set and spool gun. It is a little more money than the hobart, but I have heard the miller is a little more beefy as well.

blznnp

we had a small 110V miller on all of our work trucks back home, smaller than what you are looking at. i used it some times when doing some thicker material, sometimes 3/8" when it wasn't structural (had the big generator welder for big stuff), but i know i wouldn't want to get a welder that wasn't 220V. its just nice to know that if you need to weld a thicker material that you can, at least easier than a 110V. my buddy has the miller dual input welder and loves it, he generally uses the 220V on it though. I have a miller 250 and love it. Hobarts are good welders and i don't think you can go wrong with lincoln, hobart, or miller.

natas

Im currently using a miller 251 ive had a miller 140 auto set and a miller 180 auto set 140 was ok for small stuff such as sheet metal 1/8 stuff never been happier than with my 251 it will weld all and i mean all

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Currently most impressed with the miller 211 auto set. They have a package that comes with welder, spoolgun, deluxe cart, cover, wire, tips, misc. For 1379 with a 75 dollar rebate right now. Seems hard to beat.

blznnp

I would love to get a spool gun but for how much it cost for my 251, I just can spend that much right now and I would rather put that money towards a Tig Machine

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Just bought a miller 211 with cart, spool gun, and cover.

should be here in a few days.:D