• Side-Jobs Forum Rules:
    • No requests related to 4x4, offroad, or any services already provided by vendors who support RME and make this site possible. If you are seeking these types of services, please post in a General 4x4 or another approriate forum.
    • No requests related to morally questionable or illegal activities
    • Any requests here may be removed at any time at the discretion of the moderators

Fence/Gate work: Looking to remove some vinyl fence replace with 10' gate-Iron gate?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Looking to replace a vinyl "man" gate (5') and fill an opening with a 10' gate. We have a quote for a vinyl gate and it needs a wheel (not fond of that idea at all) to support it's weight. Would be interested in an iron or alum gate to span the distance. Is anyone in the business that they would want to install? Or if anyone has a good source for a gate, I've hung a few before and am not afraid of a little work.

boogie_4wheel

I used to do this stuff when I was in college at SUU (built gates/fencing, spiral staircases, and junk like that). I would recommend the place that I worked at, Carter Welding @ 435-691-6407 or 435-865-6407. They are based out of the Cedar City area, so that probably won't work for you.

I would love to do this on the side, but coming up with the time to be able to tackle even this small job is not going to happen for quite a few weeks (potentially start a new job in the next couple weeks). I have been arguing with the wife on replacing our double vinyl gate (in the 12-14' width) with a steel unit, and maybe even get fancy and buy a roller to do an arched top.

They are really easy to build, if you've got a welder. What are your plans, simple picket style, 'security mesh', ect?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
What about the vinyl gate are you not fond of? That it needs a wheel?

I worked in a vinyl shop back in the day (2005-2007) and the gate guys would weld a frame that they would then cover with vinyl. I can't remember what the max length was before they'd want to put a wheel on but it was mainly for when the gate was sitting closed or open. The gate post (with heavy wall 3x3 metal post in the middle) could and would support the weight of the gate as it was swinging.

If the gate has a tension cable or doesn't have a square tube welded frame its not going to be great. My house is like this and both the man gate and rv pad gates aren't doing so hot. I make do with it because of the cost but I'd not be concerned with the durability of a well built vinyl gate.

I'm pretty sure the gate shop owner is working out of a shop in Layton. I can check and get his info for you if you are interested.

neagtea

Supporting Member
Quite a bit of work but the result I like. Staining every year is a pain but worth it.
Of note SSS has some premade gate panels.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Marc, did you ever find a decent company?

We are looking for some short returns with a 4' gate and 2 6' gates with a center post.

I did not but did get it done. Made the steel gate. Turned out pretty well. Vinyl was pretty easy to work with. I do have some fence left over if you need some stuff